Answered

Macbook Pro connected to Roam but won't play any audio

• 22 May 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi there,

I have a mid-2014 macbook pro + macOS 11.0.1 and I’m able to connect to my sonos roam via bluetooth but for some reason it won’t play anything, or more like I can’t select it as the sound output. It’s not greyed out but nothing happens when I click it. I tried using the roam with a mid-2015 macbook + same OS and it worked fine, same with my iphone and projector. My mid-2014 macbook works fine with other bluetooth devices (airpods, urbanears headphone, wonderboom speaker, JBL headphone) so I’m not sure what the issue is. I’ve tried restarting my laptop and resetting the bluetooth module, but nothing worked. It looks like it might be a mac issue more than an issue with the roam, but they both work fine with other devices so I’m super confused. Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by aliamrzki 22 May 2021, 18:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Try unpairing the Roam from all other devices before trying to pair it to the MacBook in question.

You should also try rebooting the Roam following these steps:

1. Disconnect Roam from charging cables and remove it from wireless chargers.
  2. Hold the button on the back of Roam for at least five seconds until you hear the power-off tone and the light above the Sonos logo turns off.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the button on the back of Roam to turn it back on.

Thanks for the suggestion @GuitarSuperstar, unfortunately it didn’t work. I think I’ll contact Apple to see if they can help with this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aliamrzki 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Have you tried checking manually for Sonos updates? If not, I recommend you do so. Thanks. 

Settings » System » System Updates » Check for updates.

Hi @Corry P 

Thanks!

I just tried it and looks like it’s up to date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aliamrzki 

Just to confirm - you can pair the Roam with other devices, and you can pair the MacBook with other devices, but the two won’t pair with each other?

Are you able to try your Roam on another MacBook?

If you have a Bluetooth computer mouse and keyboard for your Mac, you may be hitting a limit of the MacBook’s Bluetooth radio. Do you have any corded versions you can try using to see if the lower number of concurrent Bluetooth devices helps matters?

@Corry P I can actually connect the Roam with my MacBook, but for some reason I can’t choose Roam as the sound output (see screenshot, when I click Sonos Roam via bluetooth or Airplay nothing happens). I did try using another MacBook Pro and it worked. I’m not using any bluetooth keyboard or mouse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@aliamrzki 

Apologies - you did mention that in your first post.

I think getting in touch with Apple is a good idea, though I also think their answer might be to “contact Sonos”.