Skip to main content
Answered

Just purchased a Move and it sounds awful next to my Play 5. What am I doing wrong?

• 20 October 2023
  • 1 reply

I just purchased the Move and with help from customer service downgraded the software. I was eager to hear it next to my aging system (Play 5 and various ZPs) but when I finally got it to work it paled in comparison to the sound of my Play 5 - little dynamic range and poor sound quality over all. I hear that the sound quality of the Move 2 is much improved but does it make sense that the 5+ yo Play 5 sounds much better? Any suggestions on settings or tweaks I can make are welcome. Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AraC 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It does make a certain sense that your old Play:5 sounds better - the only changes we’ve made to Play:5/Five have been in cosmetics and functionality. The actual auditory specifications of the speakers are largely unchanged, as they were very good in the first place.

Your Play:5 is a larger speaker than your Move 2, which goes a long way to explain the auditory differences. It has 3 woofers and 3 tweeters, whereas the Move 2 has one woofer and 2 tweeters, which is another reason why they sound different.

However, it’s possible that you are not hearing your Move 2 at it’s best - please ensure Auto TruePlay is enabled:

Enable or disable auto Trueplay

Auto Trueplay can be toggled within the settings menu.

1. In the Sonos app for iOS or Android, tap the Settings tab.
  2. Tap System, then tap the name of your portable Sonos product.
  3. Tap Trueplay to find the toggle for Auto Trueplay tuning.

With Auto TruePlay enabled, your Move 2 will tune itself a few seconds after being physically moved.

I hope this helps.