Answered

iphone and Move don’t ever seem to be on the same page

• 23 June 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +4

I sit here on my patio once ahain with Move playing fine and the iphone App (S1) has no clue about it, just sees the other 6 devices.  Wish this was an unusual situation. Put it happens often enuff that I know when I need to run inside to my PC to control the Move.  Deplorable situation   I would never buy another Move again.  When it goes offline its frustrating trying to recover it  especially with an uncooperative iphone app. In my alphabet  Move comes after Home Theater and before Office…. Where is it??

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 June 2021, 16:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Does it appear if you reboot your phone or restart the Sonos app?

The controller App communicates with the Sonos devices using SSDP multicast - whatever the Move is connected to, the discovery protocol is not working correctly. Is it on a different WiFi access point to the other devices, or a different WiFi band perhaps?

Maybe ensure all are set to run on the main routers 2.4Ghz band only, with a channel-width of 20MHz, using a single wireless access point (if practicable) and see if that then resolves the issue.

Badge +4

There are 3 WAPs in the house, assuming proper Wifi roaming the iphone and Move are within inches of each other. The Move rarely roams beyond the one access point.  If I have to restrict the iphone to 2.4Ghz (is that in the official doc), then it is a DESIGN FAIL. 

I have turned off WiFi on the iphone and back on, figuring there might be a WAP issue; but the iphone is not restricted to 2.4 

Goes back to the elimination of the original SONOS Controller!

At least this gives me some info and sets my expectations and some info I can use to see where the devices are positioned. 

If the app issue limited to the iphone?  because I’m assuming my PC which I don’t see having the same issue is typically on the 5Ghz band, on the same WAP.

I suspect the issue is related to the WAP’s and that the SSDP multicasting protocol communication is being hindered in some way between those devices and the controller is not discovering the ‘Move’ when it’s on a different access point to your mobile… Have you configured the access points to all run on the same Subnet/WiFi channels as the main router with the same (SSID/Password) credentials? 

It would be interesting to see if all works well when just the one access point is available and in range and the other AP’s have been switched off, temporarily.

I suspect all may work in that situation🤔?

Badge +4

All the WAPs have the same SSID’s and credentials.  Next time the iphone App can’t see the Move, I’ll dive into the relative connections - which WAP and which band - for each device (I know the Move will be on the 2.4)

All the WAPs have the same SSID’s and credentials.  Next time the iphone App can’t see the Move, I’ll dive into the relative connections - which WAP and which band - for each device (I know the Move will be on the 2.4)

Just check the same channels are being used by the WAP’s and fix them to either channel 1, 6 or 11 as they are non-overlapping. If using SonosNet for your ‘other’ Sonos products (not the Move obviously) then ensure the SonosNet channel is set at least 5 channels away from your router/WAP’s 2.4Ghz channel aswell.

Badge +4

My understanding is that w/ multiple WAPs, using the same credentials, you WANT to have non-overlapping channels for each WAP (since I have only 3, I believe these have been set up as 1, 6 and 11).   

My understanding is that w/ multiple WAPs, using the same credentials, you WANT to have non-overlapping channels for each WAP (since I have only 3, I believe these have been set up as 1, 6 and 11).   

No, put them all on the same wireless channel and see if that sorts it. You only need to use different channels when using a different SSID on each AP. Set them up on the same channel.. ideally use a 20MHz channel-width too for your 2.4Ghz band.

Badge +4

My understanding is that w//o different channels, there will be beaconing interference from WAPs on the same SSID.  And w/o some type of controller (I believe that requires WPA2-Enterprise, not supported by SONOS?), effective roaming will be improbable/inconsistent.

as one example:

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/how-to-setup-seamless-wireless-roaming-483