Answered

Feature request: Automatically connect to last device

• 20 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi!

I own a Roam SL, which I am generally very happy with - except for one detail.

Unaware of the Sonos ecosystem concept, I bought it because I needed a new bluetooth speaker, and it had good reviews and a good size for what I needed it for.

Unlike any other bluetooth speaker I have/had, the Roam does not automatically attempt to connect to the last device it was connected to when powered on; my JBL Go (which died) did it, JBL Go 2 (also dead, replaced by the Roam) did it and my Yamaha THR10-II does it, and it is such a convenient feature.

As covered in this forum post, this has been requested before.

So, it would be wonderful if the Roam could do this as well.

Cheers!

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 21 November 2022, 11:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

+1 from me for this feature request, but with an option in the App settings for users to be able to disable the feature too, as there are times when I would not need the Roam to do this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @SudoPotato and welcome to Sonos Community.

Thank you for the feedback and as a Sonos Roam owner myself, I totally agree with this feature.

I’ve already marked this thread as a feature request and forwarded it to the appropriate team for consideration.

Any update on this feature request to automatically connect to previous device when turned on? I upgraded from JBL, and was shocked to find out that Sonos Roam does not have such a fundamental feature what the JBL Flip and Clip already provide at 1/3 the price.

Every time I shower, I have to turn on the Sonos Roam then spend 15-30 seconds on my phone in order to connect the speaker to Spotify or Audible. To add to that frustration, the initial volume resets back to 10% when I always listen at 50%. This is the first Sonos product that has left me scratching my head as if it was actually an upgrade due to lack of basic quality of life features, and is completely unacceptable from a brand that is supposed to have the leading portable speaker on the market.

Make sure to update your firmware!

It should automatically reconnect to the last device you had connected now, but it does take 30 to 60 seconds after being turned on.

I don't recognize your issue with the volume. Mine does an odd thing where the volume takes a few seconds to set/synchronize initially, but I'm not sure it resets.

I can confirm that the auto auto connect feature does not work as expected.

Current Sonos settings:
System Updates → Update Automatically toggled on (currently version 15.5)
System → Bathroom (Sonos Roam in shower) → Always Auto-Connect toggled on

Expectation:

1. Turn on Sonos Roam in Bathroom
  2. Play music from Spotify on iPhone
  3. Sonos Roam automatically connects to phone and plays Spotify music

However, the Sonos Roam will never connect to Spotify on my phone, even after waiting minutes. Same expectation and disappointing results when using Audible, I have to manually connect to the Sonos Roam EVERY TIME.

Just to confirm my expectations aren’t out of line, I turned on my JBL Clip 3 ($50 btw), and within 2 seconds Spotify music starts playing at the same volume as my phone setting (50%). This is straight up an embarrassment, Sonos.