Answered

Assigning Sub Mini to Sonos Move?

• 19 November 2022
  • 16 replies

I have Sonos on my outdoor patio, but not inside. I bought a Sonos Move and Sub Mini to bring the outdoor sounds inside, when necessary. However, I would like to be able to play JUST the Sonos Move and Sub Mini INDOOR, but I don’t get the option to “assign” the Sub Mini to the Sonos Move. Is there a sub that WILL pair with the Move, so that only those speakers are playing inside, and not have music playing on the patio at the same time?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 November 2022, 15:33

View original

16 replies

Not supported.

As buzz mentions, the Sonos ‘portable’ products (Roam/Move) do not bond with either the Sonos Sub, or Sub-Mini. See attached for all the compatible devices.

Thanks. Figured that.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Got to say this is ridiculous…I’ve bought my daughter two (expensive) SONOS MOVEs in stereo setup and a SUB MINI to compliment them. Now she find this doesn’t work!!!? 

She would only move the MOVEs very seldom, like going on holiday …this is a very poor decision on SONOS and could be easily amended. I’ve sold the two ONE SL already after discovering the ONEs wouldn’t pair with the first MOVE we got….SONOS really annoy me sometimes; feel like just dropping the whole product 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@ti33er To me it looks like you did not investigate or ask before you bought, you just assumed and now you blame Sonos. At least part of the blame lies with you….

And how would you know this “could be easily amended”? Do you have any insight into the programming/hardware on the Sonos Move? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Give me a break, it’s a minor technicality …if it can join WiFi and work as a stereo pair, then it can do everything else. It’s just SONOS being fickle, like never paying a lousy Dollar for DTS License…

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

To my mind, when the MOVEs are in Bluetooth mode, it’s fine that they can break the connection to the SUB or ‘Room’; but when in WiFi mode and in the home, cannot fathom a good enough reason for them not to play just like all the others (they cost twice what the ONEs cost; so why should they be short-changed)…

Please make the sub mini pair with the move! 
be a great travel stereo. Everyone agrees 

Another vote to allow Roam / Move to pair with subs. Does not make sense to have portable devices that works amazing but not compatible with static one's. Looks like marketing / selling decision rather then rational one. I am not gonna dump my Sonos, they work great, but I will not upgrade to anything else unless you will allow compatibility :) I don't want to have 2 Sonos sets at home, with cables and without ;) Hope this make sense. Make it loud!

If MOVE supported a subwoofer, there would be quirks that will generate many annoyed posts, but for different reasons. Since the MOVES are portable, they may be taken to an off the grid location that does not have power for a subwoofer. The subwoofers do not support Bluetooth. If the user decided to send music to a MOVE via Bluetooth, how would MOVE deal with the subwoofer? MOVE is a Bluetooth receiver, there is no Bluetooth transmitter. In some situations MOVE could use WiFi to communicate with a subwoofer, but this would be possible only in locations where both MOVE and the subwoofer have access to WiFi.  Also, the user might carry MOVE to an adjacent room from the subwoofer. If Trueplay is enabled, MOVE will adjust it’s equalization to optimize for its new acoustic situation, but adjusting a subwoofer in another room would be problematic. Should MOVE simply disconnect from the subwoofer when moved too far? If so, what is the definition of “too far” and how would this be detected?

Another vote to allow Roam / Move to pair with subs. Does not make sense to have portable devices that works amazing but not compatible with static one's. Looks like marketing / selling decision rather then rational one. I am not gonna dump my Sonos, they work great, but I will not upgrade to anything else unless you will allow compatibility :) I don't want to have 2 Sonos sets at home, with cables and without ;) Hope this make sense. Make it loud!

It’s a logical decision.  Move is meant to, well . . . move.  What happens when it moves out of the range of the Sub? 

If MOVE supported a subwoofer, there would be quirks that will generate many annoyed posts, but for different reasons. Since the MOVES are portable, they may be taken to an off the grid location that does not have power for a subwoofer. The subwoofers do not support Bluetooth. If the user decided to send music to a MOVE via Bluetooth, how would MOVE deal with the subwoofer? MOVE is a Bluetooth receiver, there is no Bluetooth transmitter. In some situations MOVE could use WiFi to communicate with a subwoofer, but this would be possible only in locations where both MOVE and the subwoofer have access to WiFi.  Also, the user might carry MOVE to an adjacent room from the subwoofer. If Trueplay is enabled, MOVE will adjust it’s equalization to optimize for its new acoustic situation, but adjusting a subwoofer in another room would be problematic. Should MOVE simply disconnect from the subwoofer when moved too far? If so, what is the definition of “too far” and how would this be detected?

I don't need SUBs when I am moving with speakers. But want to use the same speakers for 2 purposes > portable (no need for subs) and static > when they are charging, connected as stereo pair. I have 2 move 1 and 2 roams paired in stereo in one room. Sound is a blast. SUBS would add a new dimension to it. So allow it with clear limits?

It’s a logical decision.  Move is meant to, well . . . move.  What happens when it moves out of the range of the Sub? 

I would reply the same as to buzz above:

I don't need SUBs when I am moving with speakers. But want to use the same speakers for 2 purposes > portable (no need for subs) and static > when they are charging, connected as stereo pair. I have 2 move 1 and 2 roams paired in stereo in one room. Sound is a blast. SUBS would add a new dimension to it. So allow it with clear limits?

I highly doubt Sonos is going to change something which has been in effect since the original Move was released half a decade ago and has persisted through three different portables.  But you can always hope.  

I highly doubt Sonos is going to change something which has been in effect since the original Move was released half a decade ago and has persisted through three different portables.  But you can always hope.  

I believe this is the purpose of this community, to give feedback to Sonos to think about what new functions would the champions appreciate :) I am not complaining here, I am suggesting the next direction for the evolution of the speakers

I believe this is the purpose of this community, to give feedback to Sonos to think about what new functions would the champions appreciate :) I am not complaining here, I am suggesting the next direction for the evolution of the speakers

Just advising you not to get your hopes up too high.