Answered

Anyone have issues with Roam after a power cut

• 17 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

I have multiple Sonos speakers including Arc Home Theatre Setup, Move, 2 x One’s plus a Roam unit.

I live in a reasonably remote area and get power outages around once per month. All Sonos equipment  powers up again with no issues communicating with each other or Amazon Alexa devices, Apple Music, Netgear Orbi router etc. - except that is the Roam speaker.

Everytime I have to Reset from scratch. Once done it works fine until the next power 

Anyone else having this issue ?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 February 2024, 17:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

My home is under construction, the contractor is frequently cutting power in various areas of my Sonos network. Occasionally, I’ve had to reboot my router in order to get my Roam to be ‘seen’, but I’ve never had to reset my Roam. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Roseyboy 

Thanks for your post!

You should not be needing to reset your Roam at all - in fact, I recommend that you do not do so again.

The next time this happens, please try rebooting your Roam rather than resetting it by holding the power button on the back for approximately 15 seconds and allow some time for it to reboot (about a minute).

If this does not bring the Roam back, I recommend you then get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Hi,
Thanks for reply. I did in fact talk with support  when this first happened ( i purchased it pretty early after launch) and we got it working again (not sure what method ) but when it kept happening I didn’t bother getting support again as I knew I could fix with Resetting ( although will now reboot). It’s just very frustrating that all the other Sonos kits restarts perfectly but Roam obviously has an issue 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Roseyboy 

Given that Roam is the one Sonos device that is likely to stay powered-on when you have a power cut, I think this may be more to do with your network than with the Roam itself.

I recommend that you try reserving static IP addresses for your Sonos players in your router’s settings. If unsure as to how to do this, please check your router’s manual or contact your router manufacturer. Alternatively, contact our technical support team for direct assistance (they can remotely connect to your computer to help). 

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Hi Corry

Very good point regarding the fact that the Roam will of course hold its power so could well be a Router issue. However, why would the potential router issue only effect Roam and not other Sonos kit ? If i need to reserve a static IP address for Roam why not for other kit especially the Move which is also battery backed up ?

Thanks

Dave

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Roseyboy 

I think the fact that the other speakers are being rebooted at the same time as the router might be advantageous for them - my suspicion is that the router is handing out the IP address that the Roam used to have to some other device, but the Roam is not being informed of the fact, nor is it attempting to reconnect at the same time (it will have largely given up trying to connect after the router has been off for an extended period).

I could be wrong, of course - I don’t have an explanation of why the Roam is affected while the Move is not - so if you reserve IP addresses and it doesn’t help with the next time there is a power cut, I recommend you get back in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

The important point is to stop resetting your Roam as that isn’t really addressing the underlying problem, and is likely creating unnecessary work for you.

If you have not done so already, I highly recommend installing surge protectors for any expensive equipment (not just Sonos products) that should be protected - when power comes back, it can come with large spikes in voltage that may damage electronics.

I hope this helps.