Why should I be forced to update controller software

• 29 April 2018
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies
Am I the only one getting fed up with the Sonos policy of forcing updates whoever they feel like it.

I am an intermittent user and have a couple of old iPads that I use as controllers.
Now it appears that I Can't use them until their software is updated.

All I want is a basic and stable system that operates when and as I need it. Unless I want all the extra features I don't see why I should have to waste so much of my time

Grrrrr!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Turn off 'Auto Check for Updates' on the Sonos app, turn off auto updates on your mobile devices. Poof! No more "forced" updates.
Sounds good but isn't true. I log on to the sonos app and it won't allow me to go anywhere near the setting menu unless I upgrade to Alexa, which I don't have and certainly don't want! As I say I am being forced to update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds good but isn't true. I log on to the sonos app and it won't allow me to go anywhere near the setting menu unless I upgrade to Alexa, which I don't have and certainly don't want! As I say I am being forced to update.

Nonsense.

As long as all your speakers and controllers are set to the same software version you will not be "forced" to upgrade f you make the settings as jgatie mentions
What you say may be true but it doesn't tell me how to get there given that all my possible controllers are demanding an update. Hence it still doesn't help because the only choice I am being offered is to update. I think I am just going to have to find a new controller. By the way thanks both to you and to jgatie for taking the time to reply.

Nonsense.

As long as all your speakers and controllers are set to the same software version you will not be "forced" to upgrade f you make the settings as jgatie mentions

And what if you buy a new device and add to the system? No choice but to update