SONOS Trivia

• 23 May 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Everyone

Besides the fact that SONOS as a word is a Palindrome meaning it reads/pronounced the same spelled backwards and forwards (pretty neat marketing) I’ve always wondered from whence the name was derived by founders John MacFarlane, Craig Shelburne, Tom Cullen and Trung Mai.

1. Personally, I prefer the Latin derivative ‘Sonus’, which is the root of sonic and sound. 🆒
2. Although it could also be an acronym for "silicon–oxide–nitride–oxide–silicon" which is used in memory technology.

I’ve not been able to find anything on the SONOS website that speaks to the history (origin) of the name and would be interested to read your take or tell me where it’s discussed. Out of curiosity which would you prefer to believe as the origin of the SONOS brand/name, 1 or 2 :?. Please cast your vote

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Son-os: "an operating system for sound". https://www.lexiconbranding.com/technology/sonos

(Before that, 'Rincon Networks': evidently named after the local beach near Santa Barbara.)
That's cool. I always figured it was picked more for marketing reasons. It's catchy and easy to remember, as well as implies that the products are about sound.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I never would've figured that, but it does make sense... an operating system for sound. I like it. 🙂
It also has the benefit of being the same thing upside down. So orientation of the speaker doesn't require a spinning badge. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd have called it chuzzwallah
It also has the benefit of being the same thing upside down. So orientation of the speaker doesn't require a spinning badge. :)

Sure, that works for you, but what about us folks who want to lay the speaker diagonally?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It also has the benefit of being the same thing upside down. So orientation of the speaker doesn't require a spinning badge. :)

Sure, that works for you, but what about us folks who want to lay the speaker diagonally?

For those people this has been designed:-

Userlevel 7
Hello Again

I sent an email to Lexicon to inquire if my thought on the use of the Latin root word "Sonus" (as I mentioned) had any bearing on their concept for SONOS as a brand name. The reply follows:

Cheers!