Skip to main content

After years of enjoying the Sonos system, I've decided to say it farewell. With the new app, the system has truly become worthless. Goodbye, Sonos.

Ok. Against my better judgement I’ll rise to the bait! Precisely what’s gone wrong/right with the system you’ve enjoyed for ‘years’? Do tell please. 

In Sonos app the response time of volume change or change of songs in play list is just drama. 
Until the new app came out, I could always control my Sonos system from Apple Music. Not at all anymore. 
These problems have nothing to do with the system because it has always worked. it has to do with the various updates of recent times

Too bad, but I advise everyone to look for a new system. maybe JBl or Bowers & Wilkins

In Sonos app the response time of volume change or change of songs in play list is just drama. 
Until the new app came out, I could always control my Sonos system from Apple Music. Not at all anymore. 
These problems have nothing to do with the system because it has always worked. it has to do with the various updates of recent times

Yes it takes about 5 seconds for the audio to start after hitting the play button for some services - I suspect some further app optimisation will come later. At least the App startup time has been improved as that was where I initially had some issues, but those things have improved on my iPad controller.  I’m just waiting for queue management to be implemented next, but things are getting better with each new update. Library search and playback are really quick for my 25k+ tracks. It’s almost instant.

A couple of hiccups with my system here - 

Response time to volume or playlist change is still ‘laggy’. 

Era100’s paired in stereo keep dropping their paring from time to time. Then the ‘room’ they’re in disappears from the app. Meanwhile  the rest of my legacy kit keeps on performing as it should. Tedious but a power down etc of the eras, router, and sometimes the phone app sorts it. 

Going forward I have faith that all the problems will get sorted as promised. In my experience a minor pain  - but if that’s all I’ve got to complain about in the grand scheme of things then I’m lucky! 

A couple of hiccups with my system here - 

Response time to volume or playlist change is still ‘laggy’. 

Era100’s paired in stereo keep dropping their paring from time to time. Then the ‘room’ they’re in disappears from the app. Meanwhile  the rest of my legacy kit keeps on performing as it should. Tedious but a power down etc of the eras, router, and sometimes the phone app sorts it. 

Going forward I have faith that all the problems will get sorted as promised. In my experience a minor pain  - but if that’s all I’ve got to complain about in the grand scheme of things then I’m lucky! 

If you haven’t already, setting ip addresses for your speakers may be worth a try, @jannyman . Your router manual should tell you how, or tell us your router make/model and someone may be able to help. 

Honestly, I’d also read the wifi interference FAQ, as well. Could easily be either, or both. 

The static/reserved IP address tweak is quick and easy for most systems, look at the router's DHCP settings page. Power down all Sonos once set, reboot router and power up the Sonos to pick up the changes.

Won't hurt anything to try and a lot less hassle than trying to sort a possible WiFi issue.

The problem is S2.  Today i downgraded to S1 and removed the New app. 

everthing works great , no more problem with S1 and the app s1.

even the sound is beter 

How can you downgrade?  Is that in the S1 app?

will it work for all Sonos products including the new speakers etc?

There may be two reasons to downgrade your Sonos system to the older Sonos S1 system. The first is that you are experiencing problems with the updated app or certain functions no longer work and you no longer want to wait for Sonos to fix this. Another reason is that you have older speakers that still function well and that you do not plan to buy new Sonos products in the near future. The downgrade is done as follows: Open the new Sonos app. Tap the cog at the top right and choose Go to Help Center. Tap Downgrade product to S1. Make sure the device is connected to AC power and has been reset to factory settings.

You can downgrade these Sonos products to Sonos S1 The following products can be downgraded from the Sonos app to the S1 Controller app: amp Beam (Gen 1) Boost Connect (Gen 2) Connect:Amp (Gen 2) Move One (Gen 1 + Gen 2) Play:1 Play:3 Play:5 (Gen 2) Playbar Playbase Port Sub (Gen 1 + Gen 2) SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 1) SYMFONISK Table Lamp (Gen 1)

I downgraded my : Move , playbar, sub and 2 One’s

https://support.sonos.com/en-nz/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-to-s1

The problem is S2.  Today i downgraded to S1 and removed the New app. 

everthing works great , no more problem with S1 and the app s1.

even the sound is beter 

You’re leaving out the part where you competely replaced your network, aren’t you? Because, y’know, the whole S2 problem was your network, right? Or so I’ve heard.

My netwerk is the same as before. I didnt do anything with the network. 

The problem is in S2

The problem is in S2

@slworona was being sarcastic, I think 😜

The problem is in S2

@slworona was being sarcastic, I think 😜

👍🏻

I’m nearing this decision myself. I’ve been without a functioning surround system for months since the release of the new app. Despite working with support, the app still can’t connect my surround speakers and Sub to my Arc. As a result, I’m now in the market for a new surround sound system—ideally one that’s more traditional and less dependent on software.