New hardware coming? August 27 & 28 Press events

Interesting tease here:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/08/sonos-fall-event-IFA-2019/

Seems odd that no FCC popups have occurred yet, but I'm not one to be looking for those kinds of things, I count on others in our community for that 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

220 replies

From a Verge article on the Move...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/5/20847533/sonos-move-bluetooth-wireless-speaker-price-specs-features.

The Move likely won’t be the last or only Sonos speaker with Bluetooth or portable features, either. It’s just the first.

That's definitely news. The article mentions a few other things I hadn't heard before, but that's the biggest.

New Sonos controller just installed on my Android tablet. No doubt with support for the SL and Move added in. Tomorrow, perhaps?Android 10 was released yesterday so could be that if the other control platforms don't get an update.
You’re right. I guess we’ll have to wait until September 24th to see whether Auto Trueplay will be added to the One and Beam.

i read somewhere this morning...not yet.
The new products are posted on the Sonos site now. Nothing on accessories, except for the SL...which is compatible with the Sonos One accessories.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
To recap:
Really expensive connect replacement
Really expensive bluetooth speaker
Slightly more expensive Play 1

No Playbar updates
No smaller Sub
No DTS support

Home theater crowd left out in the cold again. Am I missing anything?
Well that didn't take long.
To recap:

$50 more than the current Connect, with additional features. I'd say it's not bad for those who don't have a Connect already, but isn't going to cause anyone to replace what they have.

Really expensive bluetooth speaker

Well, if you want a cheap bluetooth speaker this is not it. If you want a good speaker that's fully part of Sonos and can be used as a bluetooth speaker with weather protection and auto tuning...seems like it might be priced similar to the competition.

Slightly more expensive Play 1

...that matches Sonos One, can be paired with Sonos One, capacitive controls, and has airplay. If those don't matter to you, then a play:1 is a definitely a better option.

No Playbar updates
No smaller Sub
No DTS support

Correct.

Home theater crowd left out in the cold again. Am I missing anything?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Well that didn't take long.
What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Posters going into a discussion of what is being released to complain about what isn't being released.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

To recap:
$50 more than the current Connect, with additional features. I'd say it's not bad for those who don't have a Connect already, but isn't going to cause anyone to replace what they have.

And a feature removed (optical output), on a product that was overpriced to begin with.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

What do you mean?Posters going into a discussion of what is being released to complain about what isn't being released.

I was clearly complaining about what was being released as well.

Well, good for you! It's posters like you who make this place so special. 😊
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Well, good for you! It's posters like you who make this place so special. 😊

And posters like you who think the company can do no wrong will be what ultimately drives it out of business. So good for both of us I guess.

And posters like you who think the company can do no wrong will be what ultimately drives it out of business. So good for both of us I guess.

If you think I think the company can do no wrong, you haven't read my scathing reviews of their "home theater" products. In short: They are no use for an actual home theater, and only really useful as something better than the crappy tiny speakers in modern flat screens.

But don't let that stop you from painting with your rather big brush.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Removing the TOS optical port is a problem for me, I don't have a spare coax input so I'm staying with the Connect hooked to my AVR.

Even if they had to ditch the big TOS port they could have gone to a 3.5 mm Mini TOSLINK Optical port that takes up less room.

3.5 Pictures: https://smile.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-TOSLINK-Optical-Digital-Audio/dp/B00GZQWLF0/ref=sr_1_3
What do you mean by TOS? Are you just shortening TOSLINK, or do you mean The Original Series (Star Trek), or The Old School, or something else?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, TOS is a shortened version of TOSLINK and used interchangeably for optical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Well, I'm a big Sonos supporter, but I think the Port is a weak, over-priced product. I'll stick with my Connects, since the feature-deficient Port is unable to replace them.

The Move is appealing but also appears a little expensive.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
I'm not so excited about the new announcements.

Sonos Move is so far the really new product, with completely new usage field. This product was a missing in Sonos portfolio and it is a good adding.
But for a speaker with more or less the same speakers of a Sonos one, or a bit more, a price near to the Play:5 is too much.

Sonos One SL from a customer stand point, is a completely useless product. Simply replace the Play:1, using the Sonos ONE design, but with same feature of Play:1, except of the Apple Airplay 2. For 20 euros of difference between Normal and SL, I think the Sonos ONE is still the best choice, and this will kill the One SL I think.

From a Company stand point, it's simply the will to add volumes to the Sonos One case sub-supplier, by avoiding to mantain an obsolete production line that is the Play:1 line.

Sonos Port has good feature, but with 100 euros more compared to the connect, it's really difficult to judge.
Personally, I was thinking to buy a Connect to add a Turntable to my Sonos System, but still cannot decide between Connect and Play:5. The port has the line in option, but the price is similar to the Play:5, and with Play:5 I will have a really good speaker as added value, so for me is a KO for the Port.

In general, really disappointed to not have seen a Play:3 successor, neither a Playbar 2.0 with DTS and Atmos support. Even if the sound is so good on Playbar, and I have the full system, it is an Obsolete product. Beam is not an alternative due to different dimensions IMO.
I'm not so excited about the new announcements.

Sonos Move is so far the really new product, with completely new usage field. This product was a missing in Sonos portfolio and it is a good adding.
But for a speaker with more or less the same speakers of a Sonos one, or a bit more, a price near to the Play:5 is too much.

I'm guessing that the sound quality is better than a One, closer to what I play:3 used to be. If it is, it feels like the price might not be too much. Still I think a lot of people would have gone for a pair of speakers with Sonos One quality at around $300 each, instead of one of this I think I would have.

Sonos One SL from a customer stand point, is a completely useless product. Simply replace the Play:1, using the Sonos ONE design, but with same feature of Play:1, except of the Apple Airplay 2. For 20 euros of difference between Normal and SL, I think the Sonos ONE is still the best choice, and this will kill the One SL I think.

Correct to an extent, however, if you're setting up surround speakers with a Beam, the mics are off, so why not save the $40? And some folks want to get a stereo pair, but only want one mic. And of course some folks don't want any always on mics in their home.

From a Company stand point, it's simply the will to add volumes to the Sonos One case sub-supplier, by avoiding to mantain an obsolete production line that is the Play:1 line.

I was surprised that the play:1 wasn't discontinued when the One came out. My guess is the play:1 was still selling well and they saw a need for an updated product.

Sonos Port has good feature, but with 100 euros more compared to the connect, it's really difficult to judge.
Personally, I was thinking to buy a Connect to add a Turntable to my Sonos System, but still cannot decide between Connect and Play:5. The port has the line in option, but the price is similar to the Play:5, and with Play:5 I will have a really good speaker as added value, so for me is a KO for the Port.

True, if you only want the input side of the Port, Play:5 is a better value if you can use the speaker. If you need the output, Port is your only choice.

In general, really disappointed to not have seen a Play:3 successor, neither a Playbar 2.0 with DTS and Atmos support. Even if the sound is so good on Playbar, and I have the full system, it is an Obsolete product. Beam is not an alternative due to different dimensions IMO.

I think the Move may kind of be the play:3 successor. Again, will need to listen. Agreed that the playbar needs an update, and the beam isn't a replacement. I feel I can be patient though, as I want a playbar 2.0 that won't be obsolete 2 years after release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I've deleted some posts that were getting out of hand. Let's keep this on speculation and discussion, not insulting other people.