Skip to main content

Nervous about the Sonos system at my wedding venue, P1's, local offline music

• 25 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I am getting married in August and the venue is fitted out with a 'state of the art'sonos system (a bunch of p1's). A few weeks ago we did another visit to the venue to get some measurement and to check theat the system works. I am making a 5+ hour mix to play (offline / local library) at the reception and unfortunately had a bunch of problems.

The system is driven by an ipad that sits at the entry table. However as I am awanting to play off my phone I attempted to connect to the network. This wasnt working until some googling resulted in resetting the system. This got me connected (note i am Androrid)

Finally in the app, there was a section under the streaming services that stated local library (if i recall corrrectly) which was impossible to navigate. There was no search function.

I then spend an 1.5 hrs on the phone with sonos help who teamshared with my computer, changed a bunch of sharing options and wrote a list of instrructions so i can play this via my laptop (macbook pro) on the day. These are the steps that were priovided

Music paths:

|MY-MBP\Wedding Mix

1. Open s1 app in Mac computer, press connect to existing system

2. Press manage, then music library settings

3. Press + to add the path at the top, press networked devices (third option)

4. Use the music path above

5. Use your Mac username and password

6. Press done, then it will index

7. Located music library at the right side of the s1 app and choose the song, group all the speakers next, just press the group icon near the speaker at the right

I am however super nervious that this is not going to work.

As a backup I am going to upload the mix to soundcloud, however they have advised that the wifi is sometimes spotty there which could be a disaster.

All in all i cant belive how rediculous this is that you cannot play local music off you phone, by line-in or bluetooth

Would really appreciate any of your assistance to make sure this works on the wedding day!

EDIT: another thing i have done it activate local library on my spotify account so hopefully i can access the local file through the sonos app, can anyone confim if this works?

I also emailed the CEO (some underling more likely) and got this response

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to reach out to me.

I’ve received a great deal of feedback regarding our new app, on both the improvements made, as well as where we fell short. If you are among those for whom the experience is falling short, I want you to know that I hear you. Teams across Sonos are working diligently to address customer concerns as quickly as possible.

Since launch, we have reintroduced a number of features via updates, including the ability to add and edit alarms, sleep timer settings, add songs to the queue and play next, as well as initial screen reader improvements for iOS VoiceOver that will allow users to more easily navigate the app. We continue to roll out updates regularly, so please ensure your Sonos App and products are all up to date: https://support.sonos.com/article/update-your-sonos-speakers

Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce local music library search and playback, as well as Update Wi-Fi settings, at the same time that we continue to address bugs and performance issues.

In the meantime, if you are experiencing an issue with your Sonos System, you may find the following resources helpful, and are always welcome to reach out to our support team directly.

-Sonos Community: https://en.community.sonos.com
-Sonos App User Guide: https://www.sonos.com/guides/sonosapp
-Sonos Support Home: https://support.sonos.com
-Sonos Support Contact: https://support.sonos.com/contact

Thank you again for being a Sonos customer, and for taking the time to reach out to us to share your feedback. I, and the full team at Sonos are committed to delivering on a Sonos experience that brings the joy of unparalleled sound into your lives every day. Delivering on our promise of an easier, faster and better app experience is fundamental to this aim, and you have my personal word that nothing is more important to us at this time.

Sincerely,

Patrick Spence

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you aren’t prepared for the Sonos system to fail you are putting yourself in a bad spot.

The good news is that being S1 instead of the recently updated S2 your odds are better.

Personally I’d rent a DUMB sound system with a couple WIRED remote speakers and a WIRED audio input.

You do not want to spend your wedding night explaining how you ruined the wedding. It will not end there either and it just isn’t worth the risk.

Ensure your MacBook Pro is set up correctly per Sonos instructions for playing your wedding mix seamlessly, and consider having a backup plan like uploading to SoundCloud in case of connectivity issues on the day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

With the greatest respect, I wouldn’t call “a bunch of p1’s” a state-of-the-art system. The Play:1 has arguably been superseded first by the One and now the Era 100. 

Do you know if they are Ethernet-wire connected or reliant on wifi? If WiFi, there’s much greater risk of poor wifi when the venue fills with signal-blocking bodies. 

Will the venue provide any guarantees for this system? 

There have been threads about other functions being spoiled by poor Sonos performance at these types of events. Sonos is at heart a home system, though many do use them in commercial environments. 

Play safe. It’s a special day and you want it to go well: hire an appropriate system.