Skip to main content

It would be nice to be able to dedupe a playlist. Is it possible?

If I understand you correctly, isn’t that just using ‘edit’ and deleting the duped playlist?

Of course it can be done using edit. But It should so this automatically as finding dupes in a large playlist is not an easy task. Before you say don’t add dupes🤣 in the first place, in my house I will add music as well as my partner and kids so it’s easy for this to happen. I mean we haven’t been able to for 5 months but it’s something we used to do. There should also be options to remove release and artist from the playlist/queue. 

Of course it can be done using edit. But It should so this automatically as finding dupes in a large playlist is not an easy task. Before you say don’t add dupes🤣 in the first place, in my house I will add music as well as my partner and kids so it’s easy for this to happen. I mean we haven’t been able to for 5 months but it’s something we used to do. There should also be options to remove release and artist from the playlist/queue. 

Agreed. It would at least help to list them alphabetically, something that most programs I use can do…

If I understand you correctly, isn’t that just using ‘edit’ and deleting the duped playlist?

Unfortunately, that is not what I mean. I’m wanting to find dupes within a playlist.

Ah, I understand. Not a feature that has previously existed, that I’m aware of, but could certainly be useful. 

Some de-duping could be done but it is a bit tricky as it would depend on the track meta information matching. How close a match would be a frustrating question to answer.

You’d surely want to keep the same song but by different artists.

But how about the same song but:

• Live versus studio
  • Different, resolution, remastered
  • With or without an additional artist

Where this would be a huge plus for me is when selecting “Top XXX Tracks” from a streaming service and finding 50 of the 200 tracks are different versions of the same song. Most playlists I have used do a decent curation job so the duplicate issue isn’t a big problem for me there.

Some de-duping could be done but it is a bit tricky as it would depend on the track meta information matching. How close a match would be a frustrating question to answer.

Is it possible to get more info on a “tricky” dedupe?

Export the playlist to a CSV file, load into Excel, Sort it by trackname, eyeball the dupes, remove them, Save as CSV, use SoundIIZ to load that CSV into the music service of choice.

OR

Export the playlist into both CSV and Sonos formats, load CSV into Excel, eyeball the dupes, edit them from the Sonos XML file using a text editor, Save that XML file, import the XML back into Sonos as a new playlist.

(This assumes you are talking about Sonos Playlists, and you use my iOS app to export/import them as files).

Export the playlist to a CSV file, load into Excel, Sort it by trackname, eyeball the dupes, remove them, Save as CSV, use SoundIIZ to load that CSV into the music service of choice.

OR

Export the playlist into both CSV and Sonos formats, load CSV into Excel, eyeball the dupes, edit them from the Sonos XML file using a text editor, Save that XML file, import the XML back into Sonos as a new playlist.

(This assumes you are talking about Sonos Playlists, and you use my iOS app to export/import them as files).

Great. What is the name of your app?

Export the playlist to a CSV file, load into Excel, Sort it by trackname, eyeball the dupes, remove them, Save as CSV, use SoundIIZ to load that CSV intPhpo the music service of choice.

OR

Great. What is the name of your app?

“Phonos Plus” on the App Store.