Buffering

• 14 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi..

I have a big Sonos solution at a company. It works fine.

But if the fire alarm goes on they need to shut down the music.

We solved it by turning the internet off to Sonos. 

When they play radio channels, the music stops after 10/15 sec, it is ok. But if they use Soundtrack/Spotify it plays the complete song to the end, and stops.

Is there any way to adjust the buffer, or any another idea :)

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Are the speakers all setup in the same Sonos household, or even on the same subnet? If so, either just stop all using the Sonos App, or…

There are also 3rd party ‘remotes’ that can stop playback on a single speaker, or group of speakers in the same Sonos Household, such as the IKEA remote, used with the Dirigera Hub. 

Also some 3rd party Apps like Soro can do these things on the same subnet, operating from iOS mobiles/tablets too, with shortcuts saved to the Home Screen …or there are various options using voice assistant services to stop all straightaway.

The Sonos App seems the obvious solution, but it depends on your system setup.

Likely not practical in a large, distributed facility, but remotely turning OFF the power to each player would satisfy the requirement. If you are using passive speakers, disconnecting the speakers with a relay would work. I’m not sure what your fire code requires, but I think that only a prompt, automatic shutdown will meet the code.

I’m speculating, but one potential workaround might be to build a large fake music library along with a large collection of SONOS Playlists. These will fill player memory, leaving less room for a buffer. Of course, if this solves the fire alarm issue, it might expose you to music interruption due to local or Internet traffic jams.