Answered

Spotify songs in Sonos Playlists

• 1 December 2020
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
  • Local Superstar
  • 1483 replies

I have lots of Sonos Playlists that also contain songs from Spotify.

Are those songs explicitly against my Spotify account or, if I remove my Spotify account and replace it with another Premium account, will they still play seamlessly from the Sonos Playlists?

icon

Best answer by sjw 21 December 2020, 19:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @sjw, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern.

Sonos Playlist limitation for Spotify is 6.75k (depending on metadata). You can try to remove your Spotify account and add another Spotify account in the Sonos app. You can also add multiple Spotify accounts. The other option is you can export your Spotify playlist converter/manager for several kinds of music streaming sites like Soundiiz. I found a link that may help you sort it out. Please let us know if it works.

We can also wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide a suggestion about this. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Rowena, which Spotify playlists are you referring to?  I don't have any.  You appear to have complicated the question by referring to adding multiple Spotify accounts for some reason.

I just want to know the impact on my Sonos Playlists of removing my Spotify account and replacing it with another.

Also, how are Sonos Playlists affected if the Premium account becomes a free one?  Does it still play fine but add Ads every so often?

Hi @sjw .  I don’t honestly know the answer to this.  A Sonos playlist is a collection of filepaths - URLs in the case of streaming services like Spotify.  So my GUESS is that they are not linked to a particular Spotify account and would still reference the right ‘place’ on the Spotify servers if you were to change Spotify accounts.  I am not certain about this.

If you have a friend with Spotify you could ask them to pop round and add their Spotify to your system.  Then remove your Spotify from Sonos and see what plays.

In fact, you could just take out a free account on a different email address, remove existing Spotify from Sonos, add free one, and test.  If it fails, you can always add the original one back into Sonos.

All actions are at your own risk!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks John, at least you understand the question.

Unfortunately, friends popping around isn't something happening too much in these times so not an immediate option. :disappointed_relieved:

The reason I'm asking is that due to one thing or aanother(well,  phone ccontract and email address combo) , my Spotify account has to change so I wanted to plan ahead and understand how it would (or wouldn't) work. There will be a  two week gap between them.

It's actually happened today, and my account has reverted back to a free one - hence the question about Free Spotify functionality. I can answer that now - it doesn't play the songs and you lose the ability to search Spotify.

My hope is as you say and adding another Premium account will restore it as it was.

The forum member @controlav is the author of an app that (I think) allows export of Sonos playlists. I think it is just text not filepaths but it might be worth checking out for a backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yeah, but I think it's for iOS only (that I have no access to).

But he may be able to advise on the Spotify paths and whether they are in any way linked to the Spotify account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yeah, but I think it's for iOS only (that I have no access to).

But he may be able to advise on the Spotify paths and whether they are in any way linked to the Spotify account.

The end of a music service track url in a Sonos playlist includes an item that indicates which account is used (so that thumbs up, add to playlist etc goes to the correct account).

When I tried switching playlists between different accounts on the same service, Sonos fixed up the paths automagically (I assume they could detect the account was no longer available). I have done no tests on switching account types though (free vs premium for example) and I know this will not work if changing services (eg Spotify vs Tidal).

Out of paranoia you could export your playlists via my app to soundiiz so you could them import them into other accounts (and other music services even).

When there are multiple Spotify accounts linked to a single Sonos account, I am pretty sure they would  both play the same Sonos playlist, and therefore a common set of URLs.  It goes against the point of Sonos playlists otherwise.  I think that gives cause for optimism, but i wouldn’t put it stronger than that.

Edit: typed before I saw @controlav ‘s reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

OK, that sounds promising @controlav

I've never used Spotify ‘Free' before and I know it's only a relatively new addition to Sonos so I didn't know how it worked or its limitations.  When using one, it appears that you can't even search for Spotify tracks in Sonos and any songs already in Sonos queues are skipped.

Unfortunately, exporting isn't an option for me unless you want to knock up an Android version especially.. :joy:

Edit: posted without seeing your reply too John

Hope it works for you @sjw .  Please post back with the outcome.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

So I added a new Spotify account and made it the Default but Spotify songs still wouldn't play (I can't remember the error).

I then deleted the Free account (that was Premium beforehand) from the Sonos Services and then everything worked perfectly.

Existing Sonos playlists containing Spotify tracks, searches and everything else work fine.

Thats good. Thanks for posting back with tbe outcome.