Sonos will not link back to WDNAS drive following switch to different laptop Plex

• 17 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi

have a different win10 laptop so reinstalled Sonos - need Plex as am over the 65000 limit

have been trying all options i know but nothing seems to work  have old system so using S1 controller

problem 1    Sonos will not connect to WDMirror NAS  will find folder but wont connect wants a password - i have tried the one for  the NAS the folder should not need one but seems to want one !!

problem 2     Sonos will recognise Plex and show some of what is on the NAS drive  but wont connect so can play the music as says need remote access - but this has been given  Plex will play the songs via laptop but not via Sonos

all help welcomed

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nigelgower

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and for letting us know about your concern.

To help you out with this, allow me to ask a few questions to isolate the issue.

• Have you tried entering your computer password to access your NAS?
  • To use a NAS drive with Sonos, the NAS must support the SMB(v1)/CIFS file-sharing protocol. Have you tried recreating the sharing permissions on the folder?
  • Have you configured your Windows 10 firewall to work with Sonos? 
  • Do you have an antivirus installed? You may need to check the firewall configuration settings to ensure that it's not blocking Sonos.
  • Setting up your NAS as Plex media server could work but I'd like you to check this thread for your reference. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. Please submit a diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number for us to check.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please be sure to let us know. We'll be glad to assist you. 

Badge

To help you out with this, allow me to ask a few questions to isolate the issue.

• Have you tried entering your computer password to access your NAS?
  • I can access NAS via file explorer and via MyCloud5 and via Plex  using this laptop
  • To use a NAS drive with Sonos, the NAS must support the SMB(v1)/CIFS file-sharing protocol. Have you tried recreating the sharing permissions on the folder?
  • have upgraded the WDMirror software but it worked previously
  • Have you configured your Windows 10 firewall to work with Sonos? 
  • it was 
  • Do you have an antivirus installed? You may need to check the firewall configuration settings to ensure that it's not blocking Sonos.
  • there is nothing indicating that it is 
  • Setting up your NAS as Plex media server could work but I'd like you to check this thread for your reference. 
  • The NAS was working with one folder with less than 65k songs being the folder that sonos accessed (sonos wants a password but it wont take the one that is for the NAS) and Plex looks at the whole drive but sonos claims plex needs to have remote access it does!    it seems something is linking to plex see screenshots why rod stewart i dunno as 
  • plex works directly on the laptop - i can access and play any song 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. Please submit a diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number for us to check.

Your confirmation number is: 526137613.

thanks in advance

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nigelgower

Thanks for your response and for updating us.

Based on the diagnostic report, your Sonos Boost is sending a weak WiFi signal that failed to share the settings to your other Sonos devices. Also, your Sonos devices have been up for 40 days. This might be causing why you won’t be able to connect to your NAS.

Let me suggest refreshing the network connection and your Sonos to check if this will make any improvements.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power, including the Sonos Boost. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos devices are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test playback from and observe Sonos performance.

If you're still facing the same, I recommend contacting our phone support to remotely access your device to isolate the issue. It would be great if you can provide our team with your full network setup including the make and model to look up the information.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.  

Badge

many thanks  will try in the morning  

2 questions 

how is the boost sending low wifi when the rest of the house has really good wifi to laptops phones etc from the router the boost is hard wired to

what is the issue with sonos being up for 40 days ?   should we turn it off ?    it works with spotify

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nigelgower

Thanks for your response. Let me share some information with you.

Sonos system can be configured in either a wireless or wired setup, with the Sonos Boost wired to your router, it created a Sonos network. The Sonos Boost help to operate in a room where Sonos is beyond the reach of your WiFi because it will establish a SonosNet, and Sonos products will be able to pass the wireless signal to other Sonos products.

Your Sonos speakers not only communicate with your network, but they also communicate with other speakers. Rebooting your Sonos will refresh the devices and their network connection. If you're not experiencing any issues with your Sonos system, there's no need to reboot them. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.