Answered

Mac OSX Catalina has wrecked my SONOS music library link

• 9 October 2019
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 1
Just upgraded to Catalina, and SONOS is now useless.
Despite being able to see and link to the USB drive with my music library, SONOS insists there's nothing there. I'm guessing it's some sort of paranoid OSX security setting - but would appreciate any help from you guys......
icon

Best answer by David M Franks 9 October 2019, 17:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi David M Franks

Are you saying that Catalina won't allow you to open Sonos? If so try the instructions in the YouTube video here.
See this earlier thread...

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/sonos-and-mac-os-10-15-catalina-6830760
Userlevel 1
AjTrek1: Sorry if I was unclear.
No, Sonos opens fine but shows there's nothing in the music library.

EDIT - I've just found a new setting in Preferences/Security called "Full Disk Access" & "Files and Folders". See below. Seems the default is to deny apps access until given permission. I changed mine, and it seems to have worked. Might be an idea to keep this in mind for other updaters!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There is a flurry of new security measures in Catalina that will trip up quite a few apps that will require confirmation of access rights in order to work. Expect lots of dialog boxes ...
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Probably best to hold off upgrading to Catalina until Sonos has fixed the other issue, i.e. no access to playlists stored on the Mac. When you upgrade to Catalina on the Mac, the iTunes playlist xml fee will disappear as iTunes is removed and replaced with Music. From other threads I see Sonos are working o this but seem to have been caught out!
Badge
I am running Catalina now. Sonos was missing files and would not upgrade music so I deleted and re-added file server ... bad choice, it will not re-add the files.

I gave full access (as shown above) to Sonos.app.
However, I can't find an app on my Mac called SonosLibraryServer, and can't add it.

Thanks for your assistance.
Userlevel 1

I can't find an app on my Mac called SonosLibraryServer

Go to System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Privacy tab (on right) - scroll down to Full Disk Access, you should see a list of apps granted disk access. Enable the SonosLibraryServer and you should be sorted. You will probably need to re-link your music folder, though.
Badge
Thanks, David, but as I mentioned there's nothing there (under System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Privacy tab) called the SonosLibraryServer and no file with that name on my Mac. And I have reinstalled the Sonos Mac app.
Userlevel 1
Weird - what apps do you have showing in the Full Disk Access tab?
Plus is anything showing in the Files and Folders tab (the next one down). I've attached a screenshot of mine in case it helps....

Badge
Here are the two folders. I just did a complete uninstall and reinstall of Sonos. Same problem.

Userlevel 1
Bear with me, cos I'm no techie. Just tryin to help.
My SonosLibraryServer (now known as SLS) is in Library - Application Support - Sonos

I'm confused why yours doesn't appear. Have you tried making a new link to your music in Sonos? I deleted the old link, then re-added it before finding the paranoid preferences panel in Catalina.

My music is all on a permanently attached USB drive. Same for you?
Badge
No, it is on A NAS through Ethernet.

There's no file named SonosLibraryServer or SLS in Library - Application Support - Sonos. There are a bunch of other files, though, apparently created when i reinstalled the sonos app this morning.
Userlevel 1
I tried running my music via a NAS/ethernet, but it was crazily unreliable....
We need cleverer people than me to help out here. Anyone else able to help Podsnap?
Badge
Thanks. It has worked quite well with NAS and an Ethernet until I installed Catalina. It then lost most of the files in the music folder. I deleted the folder from Sonos and tried to add it back and it won't add it back, just never stops indexing the directory. I can add a directory on my computer with no problem and Sonos clearly sees the directory on the NAS but it won't finish indexing.
Userlevel 1
Out of interest, try copying a few music folders to your Mac HDD, index them through Sonos and see if your missing SLS files then show up in Prefs. You can replace the library later....
Badge
Yes, that works if I copy files to the drive (the Mac internal drive) and then index them. This occurs only on the NAS.
Badge +1

Thanks, David M Franks! The “Full Disk Access” solution worked a treat. I did have to remove/add my library’s folders, but my music is back!

I had same issues as above and deleted my app, reinstalled it, changed security settings in Catalina to allow full access, added music library (held on attached USB drive), updated library, and now I’m off and running again.

lets go SONOS, fix the USB drive issue!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

What USB Drive issue?  That is resolved by reading the above posts!

seriously, don't you think I tried it?

seriously, don't you think I tried it?

tried again successfully!  Deleted the Controller and REBOOTED the computer seemed to help...

Badge +1

Is this fixed now on current releases??  I’ve been holding off upgrading my Mac at home.

Not yet, apparently.

Badge +1

Well, I don't know--most of these posts are older.