The problem I am having is very similar to a previous thread that is now closed (iTunes 12 playlists issue with NAS - playlists available but all tracks report 'Unable to play' 'cannot be found'). The solutions suggested in the closed thread did not solve my problem.
My iTunes (v. 184.108.40.206) library is hosted on my laptop that is running Mojave (v. 10.14.6). I copied the Music folder on my laptop to the NAS server (i.e. a perfect copy) then updated the music library in the Sonos app. I am able to play all the tracks in my Sonos music library so Sonos is able to locate the copied music folder. However, when I select a playlist from the “imported playlists” menu I get the message “unable to play ‘name of song’- the share ‘//ip address/public’ does not exist.” The “public” folder is at the root level of the server whereas the correct path for the playlist is “public/shared music/music/itunes.” This is the same path as on my laptop, and the playlist works fine when played from iTunes on my laptop.
Solutions I have tried without success:
- I regenerated the iTunes library.xml file in iTunes, confirmed that the new .xml file was copied to the correct folder on the server and reindexed in Sonos.
- Although a long shot, I moved the .xml file to the “public” folder then updated the music library in Sonos. As expected, I get the same message “… the share ‘//ip address/public’ does not exist.”
- I pointed the music library in Sonos to index to “\\ip address\Public\Shared Music\Music\iTunes.” This is the actual folder in which the .xml file resides. Still no joy.
- I noticed that there was a “previous iTunes libraries” folder at the same level as the .xml file so I deleted this folder, regenerated the .xml file in iTunes and reindexed the music library. Not happening.
- I indexed to “\\192.168.5.3\Public\Shared Music\Music\iTunes’ then tried indexing to “\\192.168.5.3\Public\Shared Music\Music” and finally “\\192.168.5.3\Public\Shared Music.” No matter what the index destination, I am able to play all tracks in the music library but the playlists do not work (same error message as above).
Not sure where to go next….