Best Songs for SUB and Stereo Imaging?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
  • Prodigy III
  • 395 replies
Hi Everyone!

I have SUB configured with two PLAY:1's in a stereo pair and was wondering what everyones favourite songs are that you think really brings out the best of SUB and the wonderful stereo imaging that the PLAY:1's provide!

I'd be keen to hear any kind of music and really want to bring out the most of my system with a wide variety of tracks!

Thanks in advanced!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Divinity by Porter Robinson and the chorus of Rebirth by Rezonate would be my SUB tracks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Divinity by Porter Robinson and the chorus of Rebirth by Rezonate would be my SUB tracks.
Loving the second song! Thanks for these!
Userlevel 3
The intro on pink floyd dark side of the moon 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
At 19 seconds in...
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
The intro on pink floyd dark side of the moon :)
Thank you for this suggestion! I hadn't heard this before, I quite like the intro!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Try Only Way Out by Madeon or Your On by Madeon.
Userlevel 3
Into is cool. It's the gradual build up of the heart beat which really shows of what sonos and its sub can do.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I will have to try it again during the daytime when I can really pump up the volume! I'm sure this is one track which could be felt! Love just how powerful this SUB can be when needed, and yet how subtle it can be when you want to listen a little softer!
Userlevel 3
On the same album the track called "money" is an awesome example too.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
WOW! That track has some really cool stereo effects! The way the sounds switch from left to right is quite cool!
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Great songs those two, can really feel that first one!
Userlevel 3
Out of all my sonos gear, the sub is the best 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Completely agree with you! I really love the design and just how well it works and blends with the other players!

I once tried two SUB's together in the same room. I must say, I thought the house and the houses beside my house were about to fall apart! That was some serious bass, even on a low volume the whole room was shaking yet it still sounded quite balanced and not overpowering, haha!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
The intro of the live version of Audio District's Reach For The Sky (Soundcloud) is good but you can really feel the Kris Menace remix of Audio District's Run Through The Streets
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
The album 'Dummy' by Portishead would be a good choice; for a flowery review see http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/j6vh.  I think this would be a good test of your setup and hope others who know the album would agree.

I'm unsure how much loss of low-frequency sound there is when WAVs are coded to MP3s however good advice would always be to use a good quality recording.  If you have the storage space save your music in the raw format and forget low-quality streams.

I don't know how good the stereo effect on the P1 is, but I'm impressed with the sound when P5s are paired.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
The album 'Dummy' by Portishead would be a good choice; for a flowery review see http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/j6vh.  I think this would be a good test of your setup and hope others who know the album would agree.

I'm unsure how much loss of low-frequency sound there is when WAVs are coded to MP3s however good advice would always be to use a good quality recording.  If you have the storage space save your music in the raw format and forget low-quality streams.

I don't know how good the stereo effect on the P1 is, but I'm impressed with the sound when P5s are paired.

Thanks for the great suggestions here User933635! I have not heard of this artist or album before so I will definitely check them out!

I usually like to listen in FLAC if possible but in most cases MP3's sound quite good.
What would your opinion be on RAW compared to FLAC?

The PLAY:1's actually produce a very good stereo effect. I've been impressed ever since I got them but they've just recently gotten so much better with SONOS 5.4 which is currently in Public Beta. I'm hearing a much wider soundstage, more clarity, balance, dynamics, and just overall atmosphere to the music and in some cases even what to me sounds almost like a virtual surround sound effect with certain content.

I still imagine two PLAY:5's in a Stereo Pair would sound quite a bit better but the PLAY:1's really do quite a good job for such a little speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great suggestions everyone. I have to say one of my favorite SUB test songs is Fantasy by The XX. Go about a minute and 15 into the song and turn it up. (WARNING: turning it up may upset neighbors)
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Great suggestions everyone. I have to say one of my favorite SUB test songs is Fantasy by The XX. Go about a minute and 15 into the song and turn it up. (WARNING: turning it up may upset neighbors)
WOW! What a song! So powerful yet so subtle. SUB doesn't even care, volume up full, it just sits there, motionless, showing off it's glossy finish as it acts like it's not the one shaking the house down, haha.

Really liking this song, thanks for the suggestion, Ryan! I'll probably be blasting this one a fair bit now! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Got a few to add to this thread:

LOVE 3X (RAC Mix) by ZZ Ward
Roses by Deon Custom
After Dark by PYLOT
Any song in Future Bass, Indie Dance or Nu Disco on Monstercat's soundclud (Monstercat's Youtube has the genres in the titles)
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Got a few to add to this thread:

LOVE 3X (RAC Mix) by ZZ Ward
Roses by Deon Custom
After Dark by PYLOT
Any song in Future Bass, Indie Dance or Nu Disco on Monstercat's soundclud (Monstercat's Youtube has the genres in the titles)

Yet another one to add: Light Years Away by Oliver
Testing photos...

🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Time for another suggestion: Try James Blake's of "Limit to your Love" to really plumb the depths with your SUB (in a good way!). Turn it up and you will feel it as much as hear it - just make sure all moveable objects are bolted down first...

Then, for a complete contrast and to explore the musicality of the Plays, listen to the original version by Canadian singer/songwriter, Feist.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Yet another one to add: Light Years Away by Oliver
Fully agree Josh, massive track.

You can also try those ones, pretty explosive!
Mason - Exceeder (Felguk Remix)
Bastian Van Shield - Nobody (Tujamo Remix)
Micky Slim - Brass Rail (Original Mix)
Torren Foot - Rondo (Original Mix)
Nina Kraviz - Ghetto Kraviz (Amine Edge)
Urban Monkeys - Dance Baby (Dopamine Remix)
Spencer And Hill - Cool (Afrojack Remix)
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Just got my sub and loving it.

A good song for me to test the sub is - Camelphat - Constellations.

James Blake's - Limit to your Love goes to depths I haven't heard before!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
There are quite a few that I have to add from Porter Robinson' Worlds Remixed LP:
Sad Machine (Deon Custom remix)
Flicker (Mat Zo remix)
Polygon Dust (Sleepy Tom remix)
Goodbye To A World (Chrome Sparks remix)

Songs that sound awesome from that album anyway:
Divinity (ODESZA remix) [Sounds like Moby]
Fresh Static Snow (Last Island remix) [Trust me it sounds amazing]
Sea Of Voices (Galimatias remix) [Nice jazzy take on this slow song]
Hear The Bells (Electric Mantis remix)