Answered

Alexa in Canada

• 6 October 2017
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have been stomped for days pondering about why Amazon has not release Alexa yet in Canada. I really hope it is not because of new privacy legislations that has been brought up. I probably am on the wrong forum about this and find an Amazon dedicated forum. But does anyone know why or if Alexa is launching soon in Canada?
icon

Best answer by Giller 1 March 2018, 01:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

45 replies

Just follow the instructions I and others have posted in this community. The key is to set it up with an Android phone and a sideloaded Alexa apk (if you’d not have access to the US Google or Amazon app stores) to get the Alexa version from the US with Sonos skills. There is nothing wrong, or illegal, about using apks. They simply provide another way to load legit apps on your Android system.
Since it can be loaded only after turning off the security feature on the phone and reading the consequent warning of dire consequences, it can't be as simple as the last part - how to know if the side load is legit?
And now, since I have the hardware, this becomes more of interest so please bear with me if these questions are a repeat. What I have just now have are two Echo devices, set up and working fine with the Alexa India app. Except for they not being able to control Sonos, the app does not have the Sonos Skills. So, the questions:
1. What is a reliable site for the sideload and can it be accessed and the download done from there directly via Android?
2. I presume the Echo in question will have to be factory reset first.
3. Going on, I guess the newly downloaded app will have to be opened and Echo set up via it. I have a working Amazon US account I use for purchases so that is all that is needed in addition?
4. Once that is done, Sonos Skills will be present in the downloaded app? If yes, the Sonos process steps for setting up both Echo and Sonos for Alexa are to be completed with no change needed to these?
5. Once this is done, that Echo device reset up in the home will control Sonos? With obviously no local content for Echo. With a imaginary US address?
6. Coming to Amazon Prime, my Indian subscribed service will not be available, so there will have to be a workaround for that as well?
7. Once Sonos finally catches up with Amazon and releases the necessary skills in the local Alexa app, all that will be needed is a factory reset and then a set up of the Echo via the local app?

And, most importantly, assuming that the side load is not infected with a virus, what are the downsides apart from the reset Echo not being able to do any locally relevant activity? No risk of bricking any hardware?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Just follow the instructions I and others have posted in this community. The key is to set it up with an Android phone and a sideloaded Alexa apk (if you’d not have access to the US Google or Amazon app stores) to get the Alexa version from the US with Sonos skills. There is nothing wrong, or illegal, about using apks. They simply provide another way to load legit apps on your Android system.
Since it can be loaded only after turning off the security feature on the phone and reading the consequent warning of dire consequences, it can't be as simple as the last part - how to know if the side load is legit?
And now, since I have the hardware, this becomes more of interest so please bear with me if these questions are a repeat. What I have just now have are two Echo devices, set up and working fine with the Alexa India app. Except for they not being able to control Sonos, the app does not have the Sonos Skills. So, the questions:
1. What is a reliable site for the sideload and can it be accessed and the download done from there directly via Android?
2. I presume the Echo in question will have to be factory reset first.
3. Going on, I guess the newly downloaded app will have to be opened and Echo set up via it. I have a working Amazon US account I use for purchases so that is all that is needed in addition?
4. Once that is done, Sonos Skills will be present in the downloaded app? If yes, the Sonos process steps for setting up both Echo and Sonos for Alexa are to be completed with no change needed to these?
5. Once this is done, that Echo device reset up in the home will control Sonos? With obviously no local content for Echo. With a imaginary US address?
6. Coming to Amazon Prime, my Indian subscribed service will not be available, so there will have to be a workaround for that as well?
7. Once Sonos finally catches up with Amazon and releases the necessary skills in the local Alexa app, all that will be needed is a factory reset and then a set up of the Echo via the local app?

And, most importantly, assuming that the side load is not infected with a virus, what are the downsides apart from the reset Echo not being able to do any locally relevant activity? No risk of bricking any hardware?

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability, and based on my experience with installing Alexa and using it on Sonos before it was available to me in the Canadian app store. In other words, sideloaded with an apk.
1) Sideloads of common apps are available from many sites. I am concerned about breaking group rules, so I won't list sites here. However, if you google "trusted apk sites" or look in reddit for a discussion about trusted sites you'll come up with a few that have existed for many years and have good reputations. If you save the download as an apk file on your android device you can install it directly from the device. Most download sites have instructions. If not, a google search will quickly result in a step-by-step procedure. It is extremely simple. As you point out, you must enable unknown sources in the privacy settings of your device. Then you basically launch the apk, and you'll install the app that is packaged in the filel.
2) I have never reset any Echo Dots for any reason. I have Alexa and Sonos working in both Canada and Brasil. In my case, the answer to that question is "no".
3) You should be okay with your US Amazon account. You might want to download the "Amazon Underground" app on the Android, available from Amazon. I seem to recall that it popped up at some point in my installation process. Unfortunately it has been a while since I did this in Canada, so I can't recall its exact involvement. I don't have an Amazon US account, just a Canadian account, and I was able to do this in Canada before Echos were announced for sale there. I purchased my Echo Dots in the U.S. I later configured the Dots in Brasil using the same method. They are not sold in Brasil, and the ones I use in Brasil were also purchased in the US.
4) Yes, the Sonos skills were there, in Alexa the app installed with the apk on Android. Unfortunately when you install an apk it usually won't update itself so you must be sure to continue to install the latest version. I updated with a new apk before configuring Sonos, because Sonos skills were not available in earlier versions. Once you have set this up you should also be able to use the Sonos skills in the iOS version of the Alex app, if you have access to a US or Canadian Apple store and can download it. It works fine. However, I could not set up Alexa/Sonos with iOS, and users other in countries where Echo is not sold have reported the same.
5) It does for me. I used a Canadian address because a few months ago Amazon started allowing Canadian addresses in the Alexa configuration, even though Echo gear was not at the time sold in Canada. I had previously used a fake US address, but at that point Alexa-Sonos capability did not exist. I assume you should be ok with a fake US address.
6) I can't answer that because I am not an Amazon Prime customer, although it is available in Canada and last week it was announced that it now includes the stripped down Amazon Prime Music in Canada. Previously it did not. Most serious music fans are disappointed in Amazon Prime Music, which has a far smaller selection than Amazon Music (not available to me in Canada or Brasil).
7) I have upgraded to the "real" Alexa app through the normal process in Canadian and Android and Apple stores (now that it is available to me) and things continue to work for me. In other words, I am now using the "local app." As far as I can see, it's the same as the US app when you obtain it through the Canadian sources. I don't know what will happen in other countries, because different languages and/or speaking voices may be involved.
Re your final question:
There is malware out there, and can be contained in apk files. I only use apks to try to get legit files that are not available through the country store connected to my phone (Canada). It seems that these are less likely to be affected by malware than apks involving hacks, cracks, freebies of paid software etc. I have never had a problem in about a decade of doing this with many phones and tablets. But I am not a frequent installer of apks, so my risk level is probably low. You might want to look here for some safety tips. https://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/features/installing-an-apk-file-how-to-check-if-its-safe-1678081. Another trick is to download the Alexa apk from a number of sources. Check the exact file sizes before you install. if they're all the same, you're probably okay. If file sizes of identically named files are different, there may be something wrong with one or more of the files. Having said that, I have sideloaded the android Alexa app several times through downloaded apks with no problems. I have many friends who have done the same, with no problems.
I hope this helps.
Many thanks for the long reply! I will read it through carefully and proceed cautiously!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Many thanks for the long reply! I will read it through carefully and proceed cautiously!
You’re very welcome. Good luck.
Foxed at the first hurdle! I opened two side loaded downloads from two sites to see if either works, but both opened the Alexa India app. Then I thought it may because I have the same ID/password for Amazon US and India, so I changed the password for the US account. Tried again with the password for the US account while installing Alexa, and exact same results - the Alexa India app is the one that gets installed. Any ideas for next attempts?!
Anyone know if I get the Echo dot here in Canada, will it work with my existing Sonos speakers that is not a Sonos One? Just a wee bit confused

Irwin
Echo dot will only work if one of your Sonos devices has audio in Play 5, ZP 120 and you then must have “line in” selected as your source and BAM it’ll work

Echo dot will only work if one of your Sonos devices has audio in Play 5, ZP 120 and you then must have “line in” selected as your source and BAM it’ll work

Not after the Alexa integration is released by Sonos in Canada - Dot will then work with play 1 units as well wirelessly.
I have been stomped for days pondering about why Amazon has not release Alexa yet in Canada. I really hope it is not because of new privacy legislations that has been brought up. I probably am on the wrong forum about this and find an Amazon dedicated forum. But does anyone know why or if Alexa is launching soon in Canada?

Alexa, the app and Amazon devices have been updated to include Canada in the “location”. Also awesomely integrated with Spotify! Alexa, play Back in Black in the bedroom and it does!!

UNFORTUNATELY...... once started
I have NO access to Skills :@

“ The language you selected does not match your Amazon account settings. As a result, Alexa skills are not available. “
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Foxed at the first hurdle! I opened two side loaded downloads from two sites to see if either works, but both opened the Alexa India app. Then I thought it may because I have the same ID/password for Amazon US and India, so I changed the password for the US account. Tried again with the password for the US account while installing Alexa, and exact same results - the Alexa India app is the one that gets installed. Any ideas for next attempts?!

Odd. Try turning off location services in your device, if it is turned on. If you have a VPN try setting it to the U.S before installing. I didn’t have to do either of these, but perhaps things have changed in the last few weeks.

Not after the Alexa integration is released by Sonos in Canada - Dot will then work with play 1 units as well wirelessly.

I’ve got 2 dots at this moment plus a Sonos one. Will try and post results in next hour!

Odd. Try turning off location services in your device, if it is turned on. If you have a VPN try setting it to the U.S before installing. I didn’t have to do either of these, but perhaps things have changed in the last few weeks.

Location services is off, and I suspect what has changed is I am trying to do this after Alexa is released officially in India. And I think that this suggests that the same issue will exist for Canada once the Alexa Canada app is released.
I haven't investigated the VPN route.

I’ve got 2 dots at this moment plus a Sonos one. Will try and post results in next hour!

Until then (who enjoys waiting) line in works pending wireless integration.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Location services is off, and I suspect what has changed is I am trying to do this after Alexa is released officially in India. And I think that this suggests that the same issue will exist for Canada once the Alexa Canada app is released.
I haven't investigated the VPN route.

That could be the case. I did all of this before it was officially available in Canada, and it continued to work in Brasil (my Dots in both countries are on the same account). It continues to work in Brasil after I switched to the app downloaded from the Google store after it officially arrived in the Canada store, but that could be because of the pre-existing configuration. I won’t know about Canada for a while. I probably won’t go back for five or six months. I try to avoid winter there.
Having said all of that, I don’t find the Alexa integration all that useful, anyway. But I suppose a lot depends on your needs and how you listen to music.

Having said all of that, I don’t find the Alexa integration all that useful, anyway. But I suppose a lot depends on your needs and how you listen to music.

I suspect it is very likely that the attraction will fade once it becomes available!
Reading recent posts here, I realised that it is simpler for me to just use the line in on a convenient Connect and move on with that for now, with a Dot that can be conveniently wired to it. There will have to be some juggling in the line level/volume settings of different units, but that will be a one time effort, I believe. And all location based service will work fine, so there is that pro for line in.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey everyone, as you've seen, Alexa just entered Canada. We're working with them right now to bring Alexa support to new areas. When Alexa starts working somewhere new, it takes some dedicated engineering work and testing to bring support to Sonos, but we are committed to bringing Alexa voice control to Sonos in Canada in early 2018.

In Sonos-speak that means 11:59 PM June 30, 2018
I have four Echo devices which I imported from the US over the last year and 4 Play:1 speakers as well as the Connect. I set up my Echo devices using my US account. Actually, I first installed the AVS on a Pi and set up a developer account before getting 2 Dots. They work well in Canada. I sideloaded the .apk and now have it direct installed from the Play store. I control my Logitech Harmony Hub, and my Wink home automation hub using Alexa. I get CBC flash briefings. When the Sonos skill went public beta I enabled it and now have control over my Sonos speakers, yes, in Canada. When Amazon annouced the Canadian release this week I pointed my Echos to my Canadian address (to get local weather) and enabled Prime Music. I've been streaming Prime Music through my Sonos speakers from my Echos all weekend. So yes, it all works. The Sonos integration is still buggy and Alexa has problems locating some of the Made in Canada playlists on Prime Music but they are there. The Sonos app also confirms that the source is Prime Music. I am hoping that Amazon releases a SiriusXM Canada skill as right now the skill is US only and without it on the Echo you can't properly control it on the Sonos using Alexa. This has truly been one of those cases where patience has been required but Canada is catching up, slowly.
Badge
Hey everyone, as you've seen, Alexa just entered Canada. We're working with them right now to bring Alexa support to new areas. When Alexa starts working somewhere new, it takes some dedicated engineering work and testing to bring support to Sonos, but we are committed to bringing Alexa voice control to Sonos in Canada in early 2018.

In Sonos-speak that means 11:59 PM June 30, 2018

If you have the Sonos skill on Alexa it will work right now, i setup 3 One's today and it works great. Spotify integration and everything.

The only noticeable difference i can tell is that Alexa uses the old US english voice on my One's but the new Canadian english accent on the dot's i had working before.

Just like in the US not all features are supported, namely flash briefings.

The only thing i find weird is that when i ask Alexa to play Audible, it tells me it is starting and the name of the book but never actually starts. I would expect it would either tell me it is not supported or that i need to add Audible to the Sonos app.

If you have the Sonos skill on Alexa it will work right now p.

How do you get the Sonos skill on Alexa? I'm in Canada and I can't see it in Search.
Badge

If you have the Sonos skill on Alexa it will work right now p.

How do you get the Sonos skill on Alexa? I'm in Canada and I can't see it in Search.

It's not yet available in Canada. They said early 2018 only 😞
Alexa is now up and running in Canada.