Answered

Why would only one One SL disconnect?

• 25 December 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

Went away for a holiday for 10 days. Came back and everything seemingly was OK - Arc, Sub, and left One SL - except the right One SL, which has disconnected and I can't reconnect. App is useless "Make sure it's powered on'" (yep) "and connected to WiFi" (well it was when I went on holidays, now I don't get an option to reconnect it).

The networking configuration with Sonos is nothing short of horrible.

Is this a complete reboot and reconnect everything (yet again) situation?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 25 December 2023, 11:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Maybe try power-cycling both the speakers and your router too. The One SL might simply have not received a ‘proxied’ IP address from the local DHCP server. It could of course be faulty too, but I would start with a simple reboot/power-cycle of the things mentioned and just see if that quickly resolves the issue.

Badge

Yep, rebooting everything, including the router, fixed the issue. Seems to be a necessary to do this fairly often with Sonos. Sigh. 

Not really. It is a good indication of issues with your network, however. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yep, rebooting everything, including the router, fixed the issue. Seems to be a necessary to do this fairly often with Sonos. Sigh. 

If you need to do it “fairly often”, it’s worth setting fixed ip addresses to your devices. If you don’t know how, check your router manual, or tell us the make/model and someone may be able to advise you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Look to the router’s DHCP Settings page, it often has a help button too.

The process is usually quick and painless and only needs to be done once. You’d only need to update it if you Add a Sonos or replace the router.

Once done power down ALL Sonos, reboot the router and power your Sonos back up.

This fixed my issues, similar to yours, and has kept them from recurring for several years.

Badge

Look to the router’s DHCP Settings page, it often has a help button too.

The process is usually quick and painless and only needs to be done once. You’d only need to update it if you Add a Sonos or replace the router.

Once done power down ALL Sonos, reboot the router and power your Sonos back up.

This fixed my issues, similar to yours, and has kept them from recurring for several years.

This make sense, thanks. I have my system connected to an Eero mesh, so it uses ‘reservations’ rather than DHCP settings, but I assume the concept is the same.

Interestingly, I only see the Arc connected to the mesh, so do the Sub and One SLs all share the same IP address via the Arc? i.e. I only need to set up a single reserved IP address for the Arc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A bit confusing as some WiFi monitors only report the primary device connecting and miss all the ones connecting through it. The Arc is primary and then uses a Sonos 5 GHz private link to Sub and Surround speakers.

The DHCP page should show all your Sonos as they do have to request an address. Not sure what names they will have but the MAC address will be there. It is part of the serial number on the label on the Sonos. Arc’s is darned hard to see but it is there.

Being lazy I give each Sonos a descriptive name rather than just Sonos 1, 2.

MAC addresses partially deleted

Badge

A bit confusing as some WiFi monitors only report the primary device connecting and miss all the ones connecting through it. The Arc is primary and then uses a Sonos 5 GHz private link to Sub and Surround speakers.

The DHCP page should show all your Sonos as they do have to request an address. Not sure what names they will have but the MAC address will be there. It is part of the serial number on the label on the Sonos. Arc’s is darned hard to see but it is there.

Thanks, this really helps. I can see the Arc connected, but when I go into the Eero app and look at the Arc IP I can see it’s actually reserved four IP addresses. Looks like I just need to add the Sub and One SL reservations manually in the Eero app via their MAC addresses (the app picks up the Arc MAC automatically).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Great, I hate “helpful” hardware that thinks they are doing you a favor by hiding stuff you really may need to see someday.