Skip to main content

Why Does Arc Keep Disconnecting From TV?

• 29 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Well, I’ve been experiencing issues with my Arc, Sony Bravia and Directv box and with the help of Support, have narrowed it down to this...I go to TV Setup, unplug the eArc and Directv HDMI cables, then go thru the TV Setup steps to connect Arc to TV and it works.  I watch for a while, then turn off the system via my Directv remote.  Hours later, when I turn the system back on, Arc is no longer working and has disconnected from TV.  What’s going on?  This is very frustrating.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

There might be a power up sequence that works better. Experiment with the power up order.

At power up there is a negotiation between the units. With the unusually high temperatures this season, one or more of the units might be at the edge of the spec and at times the negotiation fails. This will be a difficult case to prove. Keep a log of events, including temperature.

As I recall, there is a power saving option on the TV. Try enabling the TV’s network control. In this case I think that “Authentication” = “none” would be best. Here are some additional details that may be involved.

Make sure that the HDMI cables are fully seated.

Userlevel 7

It could be CEC interference. Turn off the CEC setting on the DirecTV box. It might be called “HDMI Control” in the settings.

Isn’t there also an RS232 setting that can be an issue on Sonys? 

A quick search turned up this:

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

It could be CEC interference. Turn off the CEC setting on the DirecTV box. It might be called “HDMI Control” in the settings.

Now I recall Sonos Tech Support saying that too.  I just did it, but was wondering how this will effect anything else?

If DirectTV CEC is disabled, the DirectTV remote will not adjust TV or SONOS Volume via CEC, however, you should be able to train the DirectTV remote to send IR Volume commands. First, try sending TV Volume commands. If this is erratic, then directly train the remote to send arbitrary Volume IR commands to ARC. By “arbitrary” I mean an A/V receiver or other device that is not nearby.