Unimpressed by sound of Sonos Arc

Badge +2

Hi

Just installed Arc to Sony Bravia 2018. (Arc, no earc) Connected, downloaded app, added Sonos, fine tuned room etc. Result-hardly better than Sony speakers. That can’t be right, can it?

(Hdmi passthrough enabled on Sony, DD+ selected etc)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Be sure to check for the silly. When you are not paying strict attention the TV might revert to TV sound and ARC is silent. Worse, both might be active, but ARC’s Volume is very low.

Check the audio format that ARC is receiving. I can imagine that some stereo programs (such as news commentary) will not sound much different. In my experience music channel quality on cable TV is too awful for words and nothing can improve it.

Badge +2

Be sure to check for the silly. When you are not paying strict attention the TV might revert to TV sound and ARC is silent. Worse, both might be active, but ARC’s Volume is very low.

Check the audio format that ARC is receiving. I can imagine that some stereo programs (such as news commentary) will not sound much different. In my experience music channel quality on cable TV is too awful for words and nothing can improve it.

Many thanks. How would I “check audio format”…,? I’ve tried various live TV and streaming services with same effect. More worryingly, I now think sound is emanating from Arc. It’s just hopeless.

Userlevel 7

Set the TV to these settings (if available):

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Pass Through Mode: Auto

Also perform Trueplay tuning and adjust the EQ and Height Audio level to your liking in the Sonos app.

Then test a 5.1 or Dolby Atmos film from Netflix or Prime Video. The Now Playing screen on the Sonos app will display what audio format is currently playing.

Badge +2

Thanks. I’ll check those settings and try something as suggested. I guess I’m coming to the conclusion that this Soundbar (all of them) are no different to TV speakers for non DD+ viewing? Is that correct 

Userlevel 7

Thanks. I’ll check those settings and try something as suggested. I guess I’m coming to the conclusion that this Soundbar (all of them) are no different to TV speakers for non DD+ viewing? Is that correct 

It depends on the audio performance of your TV’s internal speakers. But, in general, the Arc should sound better, even with stereo audio.

Badge +2

It depends on the audio performance of your TV’s internal speakers. But, in general, the Arc should sound better, even with stereo audio.

Thanks again. That’s what I thought, but it isn’t. With Sony speakers, wife had volume on 15. With Sonos, it had to be about 50? Not sure if that’s comparing like with like 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That volume setting number is pretty meaningless for comparisons, it is useful for helping you to quickly return to a previously set volume level.

You can likely get the Sonos displayed volume number to change (but no reason to) by fiddling the Sonos configuration settings for volume.

Badge +2

Thanks. I’m more disappointed with Arc performance in general. Ie indistinguishable from tv on most of the content my wife watches.

Userlevel 7

Thanks. I’m more disappointed with Arc performance in general. Ie indistinguishable from tv on most of the content my wife watches.

Hmmm...Remember a sound bar of any type performs best when viewing movies or OTA content with Dolby Digital, DTS and other high-end sound codec. The Arc should sound better even with a stereo broadcast by the mere fact that the speakers fire outward toward the listener vs downward firing as on most TV’s; unless yours are different. 

• Is your Arc sitting below your TV on a cabinet or is it wall mounted? 
  • What are the room measurements (L x W x H (ceiling)?
Badge +2

Hmmm...Remember a sound bar of any type performs best when viewing movies or OTA content with Dolby Digital, DTS and other high-end sound codec. The Arc should sound better even with a stereo broadcast by the mere fact that the speakers fire outward toward the listener vs downward firing as on most TV’s; unless yours are different. 

• Is your Arc sitting below your TV on a cabinet or is it wall mounted? 
  • What are the room measurements (L x W x H (ceiling)?

Hi

Arc is sitting below TV on cabinet.

Room roughly 12 * 13 * 8 (ceiling)

Thanks

You’ve still not confirmed the kind of signal the Sonos is receiving. In my experience, stereo from a TV set sounds much worse than any thing of a higher codec. Never test with YouTube, or with a news program, always choose a movie of some type, and check in the controller that you’re at least getting Dolby Digital. 

Badge +2

You’ve still not confirmed the kind of signal the Sonos is receiving. In my experience, stereo from a TV set sounds much worse than any thing of a higher codec. Never test with YouTube, or with a news program, always choose a movie of some type, and check in the controller that you’re at least getting Dolby Digital. 

I’ve tried several movies from Netflix, Prime, Disney + Apple TV. The app shows a range of Dolby 2.0, 5.0 and LPCM. I’m not that impressed with any of them.

Thanks

Thanks for letting us know. 

Badge +2

Hi again

Do I just have to accept the limited performance of the Sonos, particularly on LPCM stereo, Dolby 5.1, 2.1 etc? 

Is there nothing else I can try?

Thanks

Userlevel 7

@Steve Stacey Have you performed Trueplay tuning? Have you adjusted the EQ in the Sonos app? Did you turn off Night Sound (moon icon)?

What are you streaming content from? Are you using the TV’s native streaming apps or do you stream from another media device? If you stream the film The Tomorrow War from Prime Video, what EXACT audio format is displayed on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app?

Would you be open to adding a Sonos Sub to the Arc?

Badge +2

Hi

Many thanks for your continued help.

1. Yes, performed the Trueplay tuning.
  2. Yes, played around with Bass and Treble but not really sure what I’m doing with these?
  3. Yep, turned off night sound.
  4. Streaming content from TV native apps, but also those within the Satellite subscription service we pay for. (Same app, but just more convenient than switching back and forth between TV and Satellite service.
  5. Yep, Dolby Atmos shows up and sound experience v good. How would I use height audio adjustment to enhance on this case? (8ft ceiling)

I guess my main disappointment is with the quality of non Atmos content. (The vast majority for all at the moment?) I didn’t expect miracles but thought it would be significantly better than the 2018 Sony TV speakers?

Thank you again.

Badge +2

Sorry-don’t really want to think about investing in Sub until paid for the Arc.

Userlevel 7

Make sure the Arc has room to breathe. Don’t put anything in front, above, or to the sides of the Arc. The top- and side-firing drivers reflect sound off of the ceiling and side walls to create a more immersive audio experience.

Under the EQ, set the bass to +6 and the treble to +4. Also turn Loudness on. You should hear/feel a little more bass from the Arc and the higher frequencies should sound a little brighter and more detailed.

If you have 8-foot ceilings and sit within 9 feet of the Arc, setting the Height Audio level to +3 or +4 should be sufficient. If you sit further away, you may have to set this setting higher. You just don’t want the height channel effects to overpower the drivers in front of you while playing Atmos audio.

If these adjustments don’t help, then the Arc just may not be for you.

FYI… Adding a Sub improves the audio performance of the Arc pretty significantly because the Sub takes over the low frequency which allows the Arc to focus more on the mid and higher frequencies.

Badge +2

Thanks. Will try those settings and see how we get on.