Answered

Unable to connect to Sonos with Sky Q

• 19 November 2022
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi I’ve tried these steps: 

Hi @Reckit 

If by reset you mean return your Sonos products to factory state. Don’t do it. Instead try this:

1. Unplug all Sonos

2. Unplug your main router

3. Delete the Sonos app from your device

4. Plug in your router

5. Check it’s admin page for updates and install if available

6. Disable DHCP for satellite nodes

7. Reboot your router

8.  Power Cycle your iOS or Android device and connect to WiFi 
9. Connect the speaker you hard wired directly to the main router and not the switch let it come back fully

10. Plug in other Sonos 1x1 and let each come back

11. Re-install the Sonos app and choose “Connect to existing system (Sonos)

12. Test your Sonos

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!

Edit: If wiring the speaker to router is not possible you may want to consider adding the Sonos Boost module to establish the Sonosnet.

If the above doesn’t resolve your issues I suggest you submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and contact Sonos Tech support.

But still there seems to be a conflict between Sonos and SkyQ. App works when close to router but does not connect when further away. Create a Diagnostic 869819704.

Currently got 5 Sonos 1, a Sonos 3, Soundbar and sub.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 November 2022, 15:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

We’re going to need some more information to help you.

1/ I take it your TV is connected to the PlayBar? 

2/ How is this connected?

3/ Why you say that you are unable to connect your SkyQ to Sonos, what do you actually mean?

4/ How is your PlayBar connected to your TV and SkyQ?

5/ Has this ever worked with your current connections?

6/ What TV are you using?

7/ How is your PlayBar and Sky Q connected to your network?

@asreds,

Perhaps see if the below link and the section entitled ‘Extenders / Boosters / Powerline adapters / Sky Q’, will help to get you up and running with Sky Q:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here you go. Thanks for the help.

1/ I take it your TV is connected to the PlayBar? 

Yes

2/ How is this connected?

To TV with optical Audio cable. Also grouped to Sub and 2 surround Sonos 1’s

3/ Why you say that you are unable to connect your SkyQ to Sonos, what do you actually mean?

Seems like when SkyQ is on (so mesh network is active) I need to be in same room as the Sky Router to access the Sonos system. Otherwise I get the unable to connect message. For Sky Q, I have the 2tb box, 3 mini boxes and 1 sky booster.

4/ How is your PlayBar connected to your TV and SkyQ?

via the optical cable 

5/ Has this ever worked with your current connections?

Yes - worked by splitting the 2.4 and 5 wifi networks and turning off the 2.4 from the sky boxes. However the wifi not strong enough in the bedroom so we added the sky booster, thats when is Broke again 

6/ What TV are you using?

TCL 55 Inch

7/ How is your PlayBar and Sky Q connected to your network?

Sky Q  via ethernet. Playbar connected to Sonos network via wifi / sonos net 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Okay, here’s a few things to try:

1/ Remove all wi-fi credentials from the Sonos App, this will ensure that your Sonos devices don’t flip between wi-fi and Sonos Net connections;

2/ Turn off the WiFi within your SkyQ box, as per the link from @Ken_Griffiths above.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks - All wifi credentials removed and I’d already set 2.4 wifi off on the sky boxes. You need the 5 so they create their mesh.

Problem seems to be with the sky booster. As soon as i turn off the booster Sonos springs back to life.. 

So is there a way to extend the wifi so it works in my blackspot, that is still compatible with Sonos?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks - All wifi credentials removed and I’d already set 2.4 wifi off on the sky boxes. You need the 5 so they create their mesh.

Problem seems to be with the sky booster. As soon as i turn off the booster Sonos springs back to life.. 

So is there a way to extend the wifi so it works in my blackspot, that is still compatible with Sonos?

How many devices need to connect in the room you’re having problems with?

You can use Power over Ethernet devices (PowerLine) - one plugs(A) into your router and the other plugs(B) in to a power socket in the problem room.  You can then connect via wi-fi or ethernet to B

Could you just confirm which of your Sonos devices is/are wired to the network and to which network device they are wired to.

Generally speaking, with most ‘typical’ WiFi network setups …

If you have a WiFi extender/booster, rather than a wired AP, then its often suggested in the community here, to ensure it’s broadcasting/using the exact same SSID/credentials, channels and channel-width as the main Home WiFi and is extending the same network subnet, rather than operating as a separate (independent) WiFi network with its own subnet/different SSID’s …that often resolves the issues with Sonos and some (but not all) extenders.

Note: a channel-width of 20Mhz is usually also recommended for the 2.4Ghz band for the local WiFi, and to use a non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11, but also, in a completely opposite approach, the extender can also be setup to avoid its use with Sonos by giving it a different SSID (and/or subnet on its LAN side). So users may try either one of these things to see which works best for their Sonos setup.

In either case, where practicable, ideally the WiFi extender/AP should be ‘wired’ back to the main router/hub, but note some WiFi ‘extenders’ may, or may not, work with Sonos, even when setup correctly and so they are not officially supported by Sonos.

Note too, if using SonosNet alongside such a network, that the SonosNet wireless channel in the Sonos App should be set so that it is at least 5 channels away from the chosen router WiFi channel.

Sky Q however is not a ‘typical’ WiFi setup, but you might want to try the Booster configured initially as matching the current WiFi signal and if no joy with that setup, then maybe give the booster/extender a different SSID altogether, so that Sonos avoids the AP, or if the booster device supports it, you could perhaps even filter out the Sonos products from using it, by using MAC address filtering.

I don’t know very much about the SkyQ setup or it’s Booster product features, but maybe the above will help provide you with some ideas to try 🤔?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Could you just confirm which of your Sonos devices is/are wired to the network and to which network device they are wired to.

Only my sonos boost is wired directly to my Sky router

Userlevel 1
Badge

Generally speaking, with most ‘typical’ WiFi network setups …

If you have a WiFi extender/booster, rather than a wired AP, then its often suggested in the community here, to ensure it’s broadcasting/using the exact same SSID/credentials, channels and channel-width as the main Home WiFi and is extending the same network subnet, rather than operating as a separate (independent) WiFi network with its own subnet/different SSID’s …that often resolves the issues with Sonos and some (but not all) extenders.

Note: a channel-width of 20Mhz is usually also recommended for the 2.4Ghz band for the local WiFi, and to use a non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11, but also, in a completely opposite approach, the extender can also be setup to avoid its use with Sonos by giving it a different SSID (and/or subnet on its LAN side). So users may try either one of these things to see which works best for their Sonos setup.

In either case, where practicable, ideally the WiFi extender/AP should be ‘wired’ back to the main router/hub, but note some WiFi ‘extenders’ may, or may not, work with Sonos, even when setup correctly and so they are not officially supported by Sonos.

Note too, if using SonosNet alongside such a network, that the SonosNet wireless channel in the Sonos App should be set so that it is at least 5 channels away from the chosen router WiFi channel.

Sky Q however is not a ‘typical’ WiFi setup, but you might want to try the Booster configured initially as matching the current WiFi signal and if no joy with that setup, then maybe give the booster/extender a different SSID altogether, so that Sonos avoids the AP, or if the booster device supports it, you could perhaps even filter out the Sonos products from using it, by using MAC address filtering.

I don’t know very much about the SkyQ setup or it’s Booster product features, but maybe the above will help provide you with some ideas to try 🤔?

Thanks for this. The SkyQ booster (SE110) appears to repeat exact same credentials as the router but will try your useful suggestions. Unfortunately im getting to extent of my limited networking knowledge!!! We dont seem to have the option to set a different SSID for the booster, but maybe i’ll try a different extender attached to powerlines.

Thanks for this. The SkyQ booster (SE110) appears to repeat exact same credentials as the router but will try your useful suggestions. Unfortunately im getting to extent of my limited networking knowledge!!! We dont seem to have the option to set a different SSID for the booster, but maybe i’ll try a different extender attached to powerlines.

Does the booster support MAC address filtering? If so, you could exclude the Sonos products from using that AP… but as a further thought, have you considered using SonosNet (wired mode)?

If so, simply remove the WiFi credentials from the Sonos App, so that Sonos  never uses the local WiFi ? Although don’t consider doing that if you have any Sonos portable products (Roam/Move) as they do not use a SonosNet signal.

See these two links about SonosNet (wired mode) and Wireless mode and switching between the two:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

Sorry to cause you so much reading here too, but hope it helps… 👍

@asreds 
Edit:
It seems I missed your earlier post about the fact you are using a Sonos Boost and already operating in wired SonosNet mode - so your Sonos devices are already not using your local WiFi (it seems). So check the WiFi credentials are not stored in the Sonos App network settings and then there’s no way for Sonos to use your WiFi network or your SkyQ booster. That might resolve your problem and to assist further it might ‘likely’ help if you also ‘filter’ your controller mobile device from using the booster too (if it allows such filtering).

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for all the suggestions. I purchased a Powerline WIFI extender from TP-Link and once I’d configured it to use exactly the same SSID etc my issues are resolved. All speakers working, App connects on IOS and WIFI extended to the blackspot and SkyQ works everywhere.