Skip to main content
Answered

Surround sound with Sonos Beam and One

• 13 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I have a Sonos Beam (connected to TV via Arc), a Sonos amp wired to 2 in-ceiling speakers and 2x Sonos Ones.

The Beam and 2x Ones are setup together as surround sound.

1. However when I turn the TV on the sound only comes out through the Beam not the Sonos Ones. I cannot work out what is going wrong. No issue with playing music though.  
  2. Is there a way to get the TV sound to come out through Beam, Ones and Amp/Ceiling speakers or is the Amp/Speakers purely for a separate use (music)?
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What does the Sonos app say you get for sound when you are not hearing the rears?

Badge +1

This is what I see on Sonos.

However, when I go through the audio settings of the TV I only have the choice of PCM or Auto and have set to Auto, so I am not sure what to do? 

Set the TV to audio pass-through instead. You will not get much, if anything, from the rear surrounds, with PCM stereo - check the TV sound-out is set to either Dolby Digital 5.1 if the Beam is a gen1 model or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (Atmos) if it’s a gen2. That said an ‘Auto’ setting should (hopefully) work too. 

You then need to play a Dolby surround sound audio source - perhaps a Netflix/Prime/Disney+ Movie etc.

If you group the Amp room with the Beam HT room, all will play in sync for music audio, but the Amp (grouped) room will encounter a 75ms delay when receiving the TV audio - you will however find tools in the Sonos App that may help to sync the playing TV audio, but as a consequence you may then encounter lip-sync issues with the video on screen. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tv-audio-and-video-are-out-of-sync

I want to draw attention to Ken’s comment about the test source. 99% of YouTube’s content is stereo only, do not use it, no matter how much it claims to be something else. 

Badge +1

Thank you. All sorted.