Answered

Surround Audio setting doesn’t change surround levels on Era 300s

Userlevel 7

@Corry P Some Reddit users noticed that the Surround Audio TV Level setting doesn’t actually change the rear surround levels on the Era 300s. So I decided to test it for myself.

When playing a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Test Tones video and a DTS 7.1 Sound Check video, the TV Level setting has no affect on the levels of the rear surround channels. It only changes the side surround levels.

When playing a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 Test Tones video, the TV Level setting has no affect on the levels of both surround channels. BUT when playing a DTS 5.1 Sound Check video, the TV Level setting DOES change the levels of the two surround channels.

NOTE: The DTS audio is being played as Multichannel PCM from a Blu-ray player.

Is this a bug in the software?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 July 2023, 10:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I have the same issue, surround volume adjuster only changes the volume of the surrounds for the 300’s, not the rears.

Userlevel 7

I was personally notified by a Sonos Technical Support Engineer today that the 15.6 update has fixed the Surround Audio slider/inside driver level issue on the Era 300s. I have not been able to test this myself yet, but I will later tonight when I have the opportunity.

For those of you who are using Era 300s as surrounds, let us know if the 15.6 update has fixed this issue for you.

It would be also quite interesting to see how they perform when it comes to 5.1 (with side surrounds) and stereo music. Will the inner drivers also be used for these cases, or are they still only using the outer drivers?

Userlevel 7

It would be also quite interesting to see how they perform when it comes to 5.1 (with side surrounds) and stereo music. Will the inner drivers also be used for these cases, or are they still only using the outer drivers?

When playing 5.1 audio, both the outside and inside drivers are used to play surround audio.

When playing 5.1 audio, both the outside and inside drivers are used to play surround audio.

Thanks mate for your fast reply! I really appreciate it because this was one of the main reasons I returned my units. Since my living room is not perfectly shaped for sound to bounce of the side walls, I really like this change! 

I guess it’s time to rethink my decision about the Era 300s 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GuitarSuperstar et al

We now consider this issue to be resolved. If you continue to see this issue, please ensure your Sonos system is up to date, then get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I like surround sound but due to my room size, my sitting position is against the wall and not space to place my surround speaker.. it is possible to place right at side of wall instead, will the surround effect is possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This seems a bit off topic for this thread. You say speaker, not speakers? You cannot use just one speaker for surround.