• 28 February 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hello, 😃

I have the sofa against the wall.

How should I position the 2 back SL:

A) mount them on the wall (facing the tv) or

B)get a “twisting bracket“ so to have the speakers leaned (regard the TV)  and pointed at my ears?

When I lean on the “chase longue” of my sofa  I have one back speaker SL just near my left ear while the other speaker is at the other end of the sofa (150cm far from my right ear); any suggestion on how to get the best audio in this situation (the best would be having the opportunity to set the volume higher just on the farest speaker...but there isn’t this option i guess).

The hight of the speaker must be at the same of the ears when seated on the sofa?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Most living rooms are not ideal for  optimum surround sound speaker placement. You definitely want the speakers pointed at the seating area.  If that means higher than ear level but pointed down, then ok.  If it means they are of the outside of the seating area, a bit than ok.  It doesn’t hurt to experiment to see what setup you like best for audio and aesthetics once the speakes arrive.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hello Danny,

thanks for the reply!

SO u suggest to have them pointed to the ears “when seated on the sofa” instead of having them just pointed towards the TV but still behind me?🤗

Hello Danny,

thanks for the reply!

SO u suggest to have them pointed to the ears “when seated on the sofa” instead of having them just pointed towards the TV but still behind me?🤗

Basically yes.  Above you or to the side, pointed at your ears,  will be better than no surround at all, IMO. 

Trueplay can help your situation a little. As you have discovered, if you sit near one speaker, it will dominate. You need to use a speaker or listening position scheme that better equalizes the distance,  otherwise small listening position changes will result in major sound image changes.

Treble tends to exit speakers in a conic beam. As frequency rises, the beam apex angle narrows. Aiming the speakers at your listening position is the best plan.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Trueplay can help your situation a little. As you have discovered, if you sit near one speaker, it will dominate. You need to use a speaker or listening position scheme that better equalizes the distance,  otherwise small listening position changes will result in major sound image changes.

Thanks Buzzi for the reply.

Referring to the seating position:

Either i seat in between the 2 rear speakers either i get the sound much more louder from the nearest speaker and there is no way to correct this.

Even if I use Trueplay (at the beginning of the test it asks to sit where we watch tv)..there is no way to have the farest speaker more louder?

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is no user adjustment for rear channel balance. If you disable Trueplay, there is a Surround Distance control, but this is more for timing than amplitude.

You can experiment with pointing the rear speakers away from your listening position toward the walls. This is counterintuitive, but it will effectively increase the distance that the sound must travel before reaching your listening position. If the speakers are farther from your listening position, small changes in your position will not be as significant. Of course, this will decrease the sharpness of focus for the rear channels, but you don’t often need sharp focus for rear channel sound.

Soundbars in general stress low room clutter with quick and easy setup. Here is an example of an A/V  Receiver setup screen. This is only a subset of the available options. Some users relish this level of detail, others are crushed by it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Unfortunately, there is no user adjustment for rear channel balance. If you disable Trueplay, there is a Surround Distance control, but this is more for timing than amplitude.

You can experiment with pointing the rear speakers away from your listening position toward the walls. This is counterintuitive, but it will effectively increase the distance that the sound must travel before reaching your listening position. If the speakers are farther from your listening position, small changes in your position will not be as significant. Of course, this will decrease the sharpness of focus for the rear channels, but you don’t often need sharp focus for rear channel sound.

GoodMorning buzz,

once again thanks for the time you spent for me, I really apreciate it!🤗

I made a drawing (Pic A) to explain my actual situation, please have a look.🙏🏻

In “green” the SL speakers (actually they are just seating on the armrest of the sofa and pointing the TV) and ,as you can see I have the Left one just near my left ear (20cm far) but the Right one almost 150cm far from my right ear.

All sizes in cm.

The idea is to attach them on the wall behind me.

I would like to fix them considering my usual seating position (as in picture),

As suggested:

• same hight of my ears when seated on the sofa (preferably pointing at my ears)

But where, ideally, should I postion the left and the right speakers from my seating position?🙄

Should I move the Left one far from me (say 25cm) to the left and approache the Right one so to have me in the center of the 2 (PIc B)

?

P.S. The sofa can’t be moved from that postion and neither can I since it’s a “chaise longue sofa”😁

Pic A

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Pic B

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do not put the speakers very close together. I'd put the left one more to the left, say in the middle of the wall, between the side waal and the couch.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Do not put the speakers very close together. I'd put the left one more to the left, say in the middle of the wall, between the side waal and the couch.

As in picture?

150cm far form my ears, isn’t that too far (would I still have a good audio) ?

Not nice to see a speaker above a quarter of the sofa.🙄

Pic C

Experiment. Using temporary small tables or boxes to support the speakers, try placing the rear speakers no closer than mid wall and equidistant from the couch. This will reduce the significance of small body movements and better serve multiple viewers sitting on the couch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You do not have te be in exactly in the middel of the two speakers. Leave the right on on the corner of the couch or maybe even a bit more to the right. Do a Trueplay.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You do not have te be in exactly in the middel of the two speakers. Leave the right on on the corner of the couch or maybe even a bit more to the right. Do a Trueplay.

Hello 106Rallye,

thought I had to be in the middle of the 2 speakers. Are yuo telling that Trueplay will balance the right speaker halso having me seating on the left far away to le right one but near to le left one?

If yes, that means that the volume of the right speaker will be highter than the one of the left speaker...is this correct?