Answered

Sub Mini Doesn’t Play after configuration

• 16 October 2022
  • 18 replies

Hey guys,

i just got my sub mini, correctly added it to the system (beam gen2 + pair of ones) but the sub doesn’t play anything at all. Even with the sub level set up to +15, there’s no sound at all coming out from the sub. 

tried probably everything, hard reset, connecting via Ethernet, removing & adding again, checking all setup options inside the app, eventually talked to the support but they also couldn’t help.

Have to admit I’m pretty disappointed, and looking at other treads on sub mini issues I’m starting to wonder if this is still the memorable Sonos quality (that you pay for) or some mediocre audio brand?

icon

Best answer by Jorge B 19 November 2022, 04:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

What did support say about the ad-hoc 5Ghz WiFi connection that the Sub-Mini uses in your chosen setup?

What did support say about the ad-hoc 5Ghz WiFi connection that the Sub-Mini uses in your chosen setup?

They didn’t mention anything about it

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Best is to submit another diagnostic code and contact Sonos again. With that code they can look into your network configuration and dive deeper into the problem. If the sub-mini is connected, but remains silent, it might be a faulty unit. Sonos support will figure it out, I'm sure of that.

Best is to submit another diagnostic code and contact Sonos again. With that code they can look into your network configuration and dive deeper into the problem. If the sub-mini is connected, but remains silent, it might be a faulty unit. Sonos support will figure it out, I'm sure of that.

The OP has already spoken with Sonos Support Staff - it would be nice however to know what troubleshooting steps have been done so far, before suggesting any further things to try here.

My first thoughts, based on the account that the Sub isn’t working at all, is that the Beam and/or Sub WiFi adapters are not communicating with each other over a 5Ghz connection. It’s not clear if those adapters were checked, or indeed if the type of audio source was established that was being played to the room🤔?

The Sub, when bonded to the Beam, usually communicates directly to the Beam over a 5Ghz wireless connection (when it isn’t cabled) and does not use the local WiFi/Network - I’m just surprised that matter hasn’t been checked by Staff and I would have thought they would have checked if things changed when the devices were wired/put on SonosNet etc.

The other immediate thing to check is certainly the type of audio source being played, which is equally important here - its not clear if the Staff checked if a PCM 2.0 stereo source was being played to the ‘room’ and if so, to get the OP to switch to a Dolby 5.1 source, which actually has the .LFE channel output?

I would have just expected those ‘obvious’ things to have been looked into, but it would be nice to know what troubleshooting steps were done with Staff?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am having the same problem- the sub mini shows as connected to a beam 2 and 2 SL surround system, but it is not producing any sound. Adjusting the level does nothing just like how the OP says. Sonos needs to address this asap.

I’d do the same thing that I recommended to you in reply to your other duplicative post. 

I am having the same problem- the sub mini shows as connected to a beam 2 and 2 SL surround system, but it is not producing any sound. Adjusting the level does nothing just like how the OP says. Sonos needs to address this asap.

I’m not having an issue with the Sub Mini, are you perhaps playing a PCM 2.0 stereo audio source from the TV? What is the ‘Now Playing’ screen label showing in the Sonos App?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m not having an issue with the Sub Mini, are you perhaps playing a PCM 2.0 stereo audio source from the TV? What is the ‘Now Playing’ screen label showing in the Sonos App?

atmos, 5.1 etc… it was not playing while playing music too- I ended up figuring it out- I put it onto a 5ghz ssid and that seems to have fixed it post update yesterday.

nonetheless- it was indeed showing as part of a surround sound system on the app, but not producing any sound whatsoever.

I am hoping it’s fixed and it won’t become an issue again. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dumb question… I’m running a line out from my projector to a Sonos amp and the Sonos Sub Mini is not producing any audio. When selecting my audio source I need to choose “Line-in” from my sources, and the Sonos Sub Mini produces no sound. I’ve also tried streaming audio from Spotify to the new Amp and the Sonos doesn’t produce any audio that way either. The sub is “bonded” and shows as part of the group, but it just doesn’t produce any idea. I can toggle it on and off and it makes no difference. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Jorge- 

Dumb question… I’m running a line out from my projector to a Sonos amp and the Sonos Sub Mini is not producing any audio. When selecting my audio source I need to choose “Line-in” from my sources, and the Sonos Sub Mini produces no sound. I’ve also tried streaming audio from Spotify to the new Amp and the Sonos doesn’t produce any audio that way either. The sub is “bonded” and shows as part of the group, but it just doesn’t produce any idea. I can toggle it on and off and it makes no difference. Any suggestions?

What fixed my issue was switching to another ssid… 

are you broadcasting different bands in your home? 2.4 5 ghz etc? 

my sub mini was doing the exact same thing as what youre saying- saying it was paired with a beam 2 and Ls and Rs but it wasn’t putting out any sound whatsoever- all on the same ssid-

switching JUST the sub for whatever reason to a different ssid fixed my issue. 

@Jorge B,
I will assume you have checked the wiring/polarity with the Amps connected speakers. Are you playing the Spotify audio from the music service built-in to the Sonos App to the Amp ‘room’?

If so, have you tried increasing the volume-level of the Sub in the Amp room settings and perhaps then carefully touching the two speaker surrounds in the Sub to feel if the two speakers are actually moving?

If they are moving, but you are still not getting much bass output, then perhaps either try switching their phase 180° to see if that gives a better bass response with your chosen connected speakers, or possibly better still, try the Sub in a different position in the room - I tend to prefer a corner of the room, out in front of the listening position, like the ‘rough’ example shown in the attached drawing.

What “line out” are you running from your projector? What kind of projector is it? What source are you testing with?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Jorge- 

What fixed my issue was switching to another ssid… 

are you broadcasting different bands in your home? 2.4 5 ghz etc? 

my sub mini was doing the exact same thing as what youre saying- saying it was paired with a beam 2 and Ls and Rs but it wasn’t putting out any sound whatsoever- all on the same ssid-

switching JUST the sub for whatever reason to a different ssid fixed my issue. 

@Captivebolt Sounds like we dealt with the same thing. I currently have my Sonos gear on the 2.4ghz network. Should I change everything over to the 5G? Or just the sub? What did you do?

Userlevel 1
Badge

What “line out” are you running from your projector? What kind of projector is it? What source are you testing with?

It’s an Optoma UHZ50 DLP. The “line out” is the audio out 3.5mm from the projector. It’s a 3.5mm RCA from the projector to the Sonos Amp. The Definitive ceiling speakers plugged into the amp work beautifully, the sonos mini sub doesn’t make a sound. Doesn’t make a difference if I select “line in” as the source on Sonos or Spotify, the Sonos Mini Sub doesn’t do anything. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Jorge B,
I will assume you have checked the wiring/polarity with the Amps connected speakers. Are you playing the Spotify audio from the music service built-in to the Sonos App to the Amp ‘room’?

If so, have you tried increasing the volume-level of the Sub in the Amp room settings and perhaps then carefully touching the two speaker surrounds in the Sub to feel if the two speakers are actually moving?

If they are moving, but you are still not getting much bass output, then perhaps either try switching their phase 180° to see if that gives a better bass response with your chosen connected speakers, or possibly better still, try the Sub in a different position in the room - I tend to prefer a corner of the room, out in front of the listening position, like the ‘rough’ example shown in the attached drawing.

Yes, the amp powers the two speakers fine. The sub appears to be working fine from the app, but in practice absolutely no sound comes out of it. I can raise the volume, change the phase, toggle it “on/off” in the settings and there is literally no difference. It isn’t making any sound whatsoever. 

@Jorge B,

In that case, whilst you are encountering the issues mentioned, it maybe best best to submit a system diagnostic and note or post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can see any issues with the device.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks. Done. It’s reference 1459124363.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Resolved. My amp is hard-wired ethernet and for some reason when that happened, the “Disable WiFi” option was selected in the amp. The Mini Sub is not hard-wired, and Support says the Mini-Sub needs to communicate with the Amp via WiFi (never mind that they’re on the same network anyway). I enabled Wi-Fi on the Amp and everything is working again. Support did say I can run a “No-WiFi” solution but the Amp and Sub would both need to be hard-wired into the network. I don’t have an ethernet jack near my sub, so for the time being the Amp will have WiFi enabled and all is working.