Skip to main content
Answered

Sub and Surrounds won't connect to network

• 13 August 2021
  • 4 replies

I’ve switched to a new Fortinet network (Forti Access Point and Fortigate as my router) and I haven’t been able to reconnect my Sonos surround system onto this new network… The ARC gets on no problem, however when I try to connect any of the surrounds or the Sub to the ARC then it just fails. I’ve tried using only 2.4ghz band on the new wifi however it’s still having issues. The ARC is connected via wireless not ethernet.

Is there a particular setting I should be looking at in the wireless configuration that might be causing the Sonos issues? These things are so frustratingly finicky and just don’t seem to work well and it’s ridiculous that they don’t support 5ghz. 

I can add the surround SL speakers individually to their own room however if I try connect them to the ARC it fails… I’ve also tried connecting the ARC via ethernet yet this still happens. “There was a problem adding your surrounds. Check network connection and make sure your products are powered on.” 

Diagnostic number: 1965077870

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Which SONOS speakers are you using for surrounds? Many of them can and will use use 5GHz if available.

If possible, temporarily wire ARC to your router. Are you using the same SSID (user name) and password for your WiFi on the new router?

I’m not familiar with Forti. If Forti offers “Airtime Fairness”, try turning this feature OFF.

The Sonos SL One speakers -- after a lot of fiddling around I’ve got the two Ones connected and surround working, however the Sub isn’t working. Forti is a vendor (fortinet).

First, reboot ARC and SUB, then temporarily wire SUB to the network to set it up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nuGeorge 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Surround speakers and the Sub wirelessly connect directly to your Arc rather than to the router. You have some interference near the Arc or Sub, causing failed transmissions between the two. This could be the Arc, a Wireless Access Point or a WiFi-enabled device being too close to the Sub, or a metal or glass surface too close to it. The same applies to the Arc. As transmissions to the surrounds are succeeding, it’s likely that the source of noise is near the Sub.

I recommend you separate any of these devices from each other by 1m (all WiFi devices prefer to have this separation from all other WiFi devices), but if the source of interference isn’t obvious to you then please read our Reducing wireless interference help page. Please keep what’s on the other side of the wall that the Arc/Sub is next to in mind.

I hope this helps.