Skip to main content

I don’t remember my exact setup, but from my troubleshooting I think this will help some users.

Setup is: Samsung A95 TV, AppleTV 4K, Arc, Sub mini, 2x One SL (rear).

I had problems with 5.1 sound from Netflix, HBO, etc. when the soundtrack was 5.1. Strangely enough when sound was Atmos everything worked fine.

I have done much of the troubleshooting tips, removing surround speakers, disconnect Arc, reset system (speakers), reconnect everything. Configure ntwork. Reset settings on TV. Reconnecting everything in a specific order, new HDMI cables. The lot.

In the end, my solution was simple.

Solution:
Make sure your TV is set to eArc and PassThru for the HDMI to Arc - This is the correct setting.

On the AppleTV:
When watching something with 5.1 sound:
Settings → Video and Sound → Format: Set this to Dolby Digital 5.1

When watching something with Atmos:
Settings → Video and Sound → Format: Set to Atmos

(I have norwegian language, so path might not be correct!)

This will hopefully remove the stuttering/choppy sound from your rear speakers. (Since for some reason, when AppleTV is set to Atmos the passthru for 5.1 sound is broken somewhere on the way to your One’s). 

Do remember to set it Atmos when watching something with Atmos sound. You can hear the difference. (At least I tell myself that I can 😊)

Hi @svenn73 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you for sharing your advice, but I find it very strange that you need to alter the setting depending on what you are playing - with the Apple TV set to Atmos, you should still be able to listen to 5.1 without issue. I recommend completely removing power from both your TV and your Apple TV for at least a couple of minutes to see if that improves matters.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P 

I can update my post with removing the power, this has been done.

My advice stands, if you have AppleTV set to Atmos the 5.1 sound is destroyed on the rear speakers.

I have no idea where this problem is happening, I just know that there is something wrong and telling AppleTV manually what to do works.

Hi @svenn73 

My advice stands, if you have AppleTV set to Atmos the 5.1 sound is destroyed on the rear speakers.

I have no idea where this problem is happening, I just know that there is something wrong and telling AppleTV manually what to do works.

Of course, and again thank you for sharing. I was just trying to say that you shouldn’t have to take these steps. If you haven’t already, I recommend reporting this to Apple too.

I agree with Sonos, you should not have to change settings based on what you are viewing. Apple TV 4K should handle Atmos and be able to downgrade audio based on your audio output. 

Tip: One thing I’ve noticed when my surrounds sounds choppy, is to reboot Sonos and all speakers. Always remember that surrounds are wireless which bridge via 2.4Ghz to your main unit (such as a Sonos Beam) sometimes the wireless bridge it creates requires a hard reboot due to interference… 

I agree with Sonos, you should not have to change settings based on what you are viewing. Apple TV 4K should handle Atmos and be able to downgrade audio based on your audio output. 

Tip: One thing I’ve noticed when my surrounds sounds choppy, is to reboot Sonos and all speakers. Always remember that surrounds are wireless which bridge via 2.4Ghz to your main unit (such as a Sonos Beam) sometimes the wireless bridge it creates requires a hard reboot due to interference… 

Thanks for posting but I doubt the OP will see it as the post was started 3 months ago. Also, FYI the surrounds and sub communicate with the Sonos soundbar over 5Ghz not 2.4Ghz.

I wasn’t aware that Sonos One or SL rear speakers use 5Ghz, must have been an update, thanks for feedback… 

I wasn’t aware that Sonos One or SL rear speakers use 5Ghz, must have been an update, thanks for feedback… 

Not an update. Sonos surrounds and subs have always used 5Ghz to communicate with Sonos soundbars. Where did you hear or what led you to believe they communicated over 2Ghz?

Wireless home theatre satellites only use 2.4GHz when idle. In operation they’re always on a dynamically selected 5GHz channel.

Info here: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

Depending on the model or platform, like S1 or S2, Nonetheless, if you experience interference, rebooting the hardware can help. I faced a similar issue with choppy sounds yesterday, and after rebooting the "rear speakers," it was resolved.