Answered

Sound cuts out of wired PlayBar

• 20 November 2023
  • 47 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a PlayBar that is wired into the network, and has been for many years now.  The past week or so, it has been cutting out for 10-15 seconds on a regular basis while listening to music. We have lots of Sonos across the house, this is the only device wired to the network.  When the Playbar stops outputting sound, the other paired speakers keep playing.  This leads me to think the network is fine since it is the bridge for everything else.  My main music source is Pandora, but I confirmed Amazon Music behaves the same.  

I switched to TV and it seems to struggle for the first 15-30 seconds and then seems to be fine after that.  Not sure what to look at next??

Diagnostics: 2054139114

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 November 2023, 02:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

47 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We are a Sonos dealer/integrator and have had 4 customers with the same cutting in and out issue over the last few months.  So far we have not found a solution.  Sonos has looked at log data on these systems and doesn’t see an issue.   These customers are using Sonos products ranging from 4 to 8 years of age.  The only common thread we’ve seen is that they are all on mesh networks. 

SONOS, please address this with a reliable fix.   

We are a Sonos dealer/integrator and have had 4 customers with the same cutting in and out issue over the last few months.  So far we have not found a solution.  Sonos has looked at log data on these systems and doesn’t see an issue.   These customers are using Sonos products ranging from 4 to 8 years of age.  The only common thread we’ve seen is that they are all on mesh networks. 

SONOS, please address this with a reliable fix.   

Wire one Sonos unit to the main hub of the mesh router.  This will take care of most problems with mesh networks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

We have Sonos devices wired to the main hub/router in all of these systems.  One system in particular has all seven Sonos products wired.  We’ve received mixed recommendations from Sonos support on wired devices - some have said wire as many as possible, others have mentioned the one per four devices.   Are you recommending we only wire ONE Sonos device, even in a system with 7 or more Sonos devices?  Or am I misunderstanding you?

Thank you.

We have Sonos devices wired to the main hub/router in all of these systems.  One system in particular has all seven Sonos products wired.  We’ve received mixed recommendations from Sonos support on wired devices - some have said wire as many as possible, others have mentioned the one per four devices.   Are you recommending we only wire ONE Sonos device, even in a system with 7 or more Sonos devices?  Or am I misunderstanding you?

Thank you.

One device wired to the main hub establishes Sonosnet, separating Sonos from any IP/Subnet chicanery that the mesh router does with their satellite extenders.   

Userlevel 2
Badge

I understand, but the issue remains.  Need a real solution bug/fix for these older Sonos devices on mesh networks.  FWIW, we have not had any issues with the latest Gen of Sonos devices, just the older (but still S2 capable) devices.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have SonosNet here, Arc, 2 Beam and One SL wired. Two Play 3, Beam, One SL and Play 5 unwired. One SL and Play 1 surrounds on the wired Arc and Beam that also have Subs.

The Play 3s have been running for hours each day for the last couple weeks doing background Christmas music and we haven’t noticed any drops or other issues.

Only things I’ve done outside of setting the 2,4 GHz WiFi to the Sonos suggested 20 MHz width is to set static/reserved IP addresses for all Sonos and I have the router’s channel selection locked to specific channels.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks, we’ll give this a try.  We haven’t adjusted the 2.4 to 20 MHz yet or set statics.  Seems like more work than should be necessary for a product geared towards the do it yourselfers.  Still looking for Sonos to come up with a firmware fix.

Just saw this thread and strangely I have the same issue suddenly. No changes in network or anything else  

playbar suddenly stops playing music or TV. 
investigating. Would be great if Sonos could help out more since we seem to be more people with same problem suddenly. 
everything on WiFi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’ve read Sonos is investigating a memory leak problem on the Playbar.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Note that for me, there is no mesh network, just multi-AP. All of my APs are hard wired. 

As for the statement of running 20MHz channels on 2.4GHz?  I mean why would you run anything but 20MHz?  Anything more is usually useless in the crowded 2.4GHz airspace. 

Another fun oddity this week, two of my Play:1 decided to stop showing up as online/connected. Two different parts of the house. Two different hardware generations. No other changes were made, just two units not working. Going through factory reset looked promising, but they never reappeared in my app list even though they went through re-pairing just fine. It took me unplugging the entire system and only powering back to the PlayBar and then going through reset and join on each Play:1 to recover. Keep in mind that four other Play:1 and a few other speakers never had issues. 

I also started having this issue recently. Music cuts all the way out, tv cuts out momentarily. 

I also have a mesh network as someone else mentioned. I plugged the Ethernet from the playbar into the main node of the mesh network (fortunately they’re right next to each other) and at the moment, no issues. 🤞 

Just to mention here…

According to this thread linked below from a few days ago, another user contacted Sonos Support with a similar Playbar issue and was informed there was a known ongoing issue with both the Playbar and the Sonos Connect:Amp. See this link:

My thoughts therefore are, that it maybe best to first try to reproduce the issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter, or at least just see if it’s the same matter they are perhaps currently investigating.

Badge

good !

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update…  Still having this issue with a system that has a surround setup with a Playbar, ConnectAmp, and SUBG2, and two additional ConnectAmps for two other rooms with in-ceiling speakers.  They have a TP-Link Deco XE75 network with three nodes, two of which are hard-lined together.  All Sonos devices are wired to the two Deco nodes that are hard-lined to eachother.  

We have made every recommended network adjustment; set 2.4 to 20MHz, reserved IPs, separated the network and SonosNet channels, tried turning 5G off, etc. nothing has worked permanently.  What we have found is that after rebooting all Sonos devices, they work fine for about a week to 10 days, then the problem starts up again - this has been fairly consistent. Sonos support has looked at the system and sees no issues.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Also has a playbar-Sub (2gen) and 2 play 1 which are set up for surround.
Must be one of the lucky ones, my setup runs without problems (although a little lip sync),
My playbar is set to a Samsung S90C 55" everything runs on Wifi, I haven´t changed the channel or mhz of my Wifi.

What i would do was: Remove the Sub from the group/sorround after this then remove play 1´s from the group/sorround. Now SONOS creates new groups for these, but you don't have to think about that. Once this is done I would reset my Paybar, when it is reset and up and running again you can add Sub and Play 1 to your Playbar and now you have a group again which is sorround.

This is just for info, after Apple released their tvOS update yesterday to 17.3 (Beta) I haven't experienced much lip sync, it's pretty much gone.

Just a couple of notes…in English, the word is ‘surround’, not ‘sorround’. And Sonos doesn’t support any ‘beta’ from any other company, I.e. chasing all the various permutations of things changing all the time just isn’t a beneficial use of their engineering time. I’m a tad surprised that you tvOS 17.3 beta is working…but that could just as easily have been ‘not working’, and Sonos wouldn’t want to dedicate resources to fixing it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just a couple of notes…in English, the word is ‘surround’, not ‘sorround’. And Sonos doesn’t support any ‘beta’ from any other company, I.e. chasing all the various permutations of things changing all the time just isn’t a beneficial use of their engineering time. I’m a tad surprised that you tvOS 17.3 beta is working…but that could just as easily have been ‘not working’, and Sonos wouldn’t want to dedicate resources to fixing it. 

Wow... Thanks for taking the time to correct my spelling mistakes.. I´m sure everyone reading my post can sleep at night now..

As far as tvOS is concerned, it has nothing to do with SONOS itself, just that after I updated my Apple TV 4K my problems with lip sync largely disappeared (perhaps due to the way the Apple TV sends the sound on to one's TV and thereby on to playbar)

I'm just trying to pass on some info and come up with a solution. Whether one want´s to use it or not is up to those who have challenges, and not someone who has to point out your spelling mistakes..

Badge

Just to mention here…

According to this thread linked below from a few days ago, another user contacted Sonos Support with a similar Playbar issue and was informed there was a known ongoing issue with both the Playbar and the Sonos Connect:Amp. 

I can confirm I'm seeing this issue with a Play Bar and old Amp.

A reboot seems to fix the issue, but then it returns eventually. I've been considering getting a smart plug that would reboot the devices one a day at 2am.

Alternatively a $400 surround sound bar system would replace the Play Bar and I could use the sub and surrounds elsewhere.

The Amp situation is more frustrating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I dislike smart switches when the smart isn’t needed, I have a couple of these that work quite well. About $14

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MHP6FZ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My TV sound is a Playbar, Sub and two Play:1s. The Playbar is connected to internet by ethernet.  I also have three other Sonos speakers in the house and I normally have them all set to play the same.  For the last few weeks the sound has been cutting out intermittently.   I had tried all sorts to try to fix this issue and the only thing that worked for a while was turning off everything (including the TV) and back on again.  Today I’ve just found something that has stopped the problem entirely.  I’ve separated the three other speakers so they don’t play TV sound now.  I realise that I’ve not fixed the problem but found a work-around.  I would be pleased to hear from anyone who thinks they know what could be causing the problem.

My TV sound is a Playbar, Sub and two Play:1s. The Playbar is connected to internet by ethernet.  I also have three other Sonos speakers in the house and I normally have them all set to play the same.  For the last few weeks the sound has been cutting out intermittently.   I had tried all sorts to try to fix this issue and the only thing that worked for a while was turning off everything (including the TV) and back on again.  Today I’ve just found something that has stopped the problem entirely.  I’ve separated the three other speakers so they don’t play TV sound now.  I realise that I’ve not fixed the problem but found a work-around.  I would be pleased to hear from anyone who thinks they know what could be causing the problem.

TV audio is quite demanding - so when grouping the Playbar with other Sonos rooms around the Home it’s worthwhile increasing the audio buffer. Goto the Playbar ‘room’ in ‘Settings/System’ in the App and set a higher value/level for the ‘Group Audio Delay’ feature… it was added to the App and Sonos Home Theatre products in order to resolve the issue you are referring to here.

See this link too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tv-audio-stops-or-skips

TV audio is quite demanding - so when grouping the Playbar with other Sonos rooms around the Home it’s worthwhile increasing the audio buffer. Goto the Playbar ‘room’ in ‘Settings/System’ in the App and set a higher value/level for the ‘Group Audio Delay’ feature… it was added to the App and Sonos Home Theatre products in order to resolve the issue you are referring to here.

See this link too:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tv-audio-stops-or-skips

Many thanks for your help, it was set to Low, so I’ve now moved it up to Mid.  I’ll see how it goes, with two more steps to go if necessary.