Skip to main content

Just had to purchase a new tv.  We bought a Sony Bravia VU31 model KD-55X77L came home set it up and the remote will not work to adjust volume.  Called Sonos customer support and was told “you can upgrade “ seriously this is an expensive system.  So the new tv has HDMI EARC and the digital audio plug.  I purchased the adapter from Sonos and got a new HDMI ARC cord… nothing. Customer service says the remote will not work because it’s Bluetooth.  Sonos also did an update and now the only way to adjust volume is with the slide bar in the Sonos app.  Anyone else having this issue looking for some help please. 

Which SONOS units do you own?

We own the first generation.  The sub is a gen2 but the playbar and the boost have no other info.  Purchased in 2015

We discourage duplicate posts because it is likely that there will be limited or no replies.

I didn’t realize it posted twice.  It told me there was an issue, I fixed it and now it’s on there twice.  I will see if I can remove one.

You own a Playbar, that can only be connected through an optical cable. The TV has an optical output. So you get sound from the Playbar using this connection?

Then why did you buy the Sonos adapter, that is probably meant to connect the Beam or Arc to a TV via optical? Where you expecting this to help with your remote not working? It would not: the optical cable does not carry any remote signals - only HDMI does this (via the HDMI-CEC protocol).

You could ask Sony it your remote can be changed to ir. I own a Samsung TV that can be made to emit the ir needed by other devices.

Generally, you can configure TV remotes to control an A/V receiver via IR. Pick an arbitrary receiver model that is not nearby and train PLAYBAR to use these Volume commands.

Fixed. Thank you for the advice.  My hubby managed to get it working, no idea what he did but it works.