Sony KD-65XH9005 not connecting via eARC to Arc

• 10 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Only just bought this TV. I’ve had an issue with the TV where it wouldn’t turn on so Sony have replaced  the motherboard but now I cannot get the eARC to connect to the Arc, before it went wrong all was fine. Currently connected via Optical so I know the cables work - error message the TV was showing is ‘TV speakers active due to Audio system communication failure’. Up to date firmware on everything. Unplugged everything and re-started correctly, I have a Beam which also has an issue connecting to the eARC so I am presuming it is the TV but seeing if anyone else has this comparability issue & any ideas?Many thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @marlish,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information about Sonos Beam's audio input. 

The Sonos Beam must be connected to your TV’s HDMI-ARC input and your TV needs to have HDMI-CEC enabled. You won't be able to get audio if it's connected to your TV's eARC. The Optical audio adapter that came with your Sonos Beam allows you to connect your Beam to the Digital optical output on your TV as an alternative connection.

To further help you with this, please let us know the complete model number of your Sony TV? Also, run a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information. We'll wait for your reply.

Hi

Diagnostics confirmation number is: 1298443599.

It is an Arc that I have the issue with, it does connect via the eArc on the TV but then I receive the error ‘TV speakers active due to Audio system communication failure’.

When I set up I can hear the TV via the HDMI eArc but quite quickly it disconnects with the error message above. If I use the optical then I can hear ok with no issues but obviously no Atmos using that method

TV model is Sony KD-65XH9005

Many thanks for this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @marlish,

Thanks for getting back to us with the diagnostic report. My apologies for the confusion and I appreciate you for letting me know that you have a Sonos Arc. The diagnostic that you submitted was incomplete and I won't be able to check the issue with your home theater setup. This means that your Sonos is unable to communicate to the Sonos server.

The Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. ARC and eARC are protocols responsible for sending audio over an HDMI cable to home theater sound systems like Sonos Arc. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content. Not all TVs have HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC. Your Sony TV KD65XH9005 has HDMI and HDMI ARC ports. You may try to perform the troubleshooting steps below and see if it works for you.

1. Reboot your Sonos Arc and Sony TV
    • Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the Sony TV. 
    • Unplug the power cable from your Sony TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
    • Reconnect the HDMI cable directly to your Sony TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
  2. Update the SonyTV’s software (if available)
  3. Adjust the group audio delay - Settings > System > Tap your Sonos Arc > Group Audio Delay and then choose a delay option.
  4. Check for Sonos update - Settings > System > Check for updates.
  5. Enable CEC on your Sony TV
    • On the TV, press HOME, then select ► [External Inputs] ► [HDMI Set-up] ► [Control for HDMI] ► [On]. For other devices in your system, activate “Control for HDMI” in the settings.
    • If you run into an issue enabling HDMI-CEC, please check your TV manual
  6. Repeat the TV setup
    • On the Sonos app, go to Settings > System > Tap on Living Room (Beam) > TV setup.
    • Please follow the steps on the app to complete the setup. Once completed, test your Beam if it’s working.
  7. Reboot your all network devices (modem, router, access points, WiFi extenders, i.e.)

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and run a diagnostic report. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.