Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Beam Switching Source On Its Own!

• 23 July 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello I have had my Beam for a number of years with absolutely no issues.  Over the last week or so when watching Television it will switch the source from TV to Music Library causing the sound from TV to drop out and l have to go to the Sonos app to reselect TV as source.  I’ve tried various solutions, factory reset etc but still having the same issue.  This seems to happen roughly every hour.  Any suggestions of a solution would be appreciated, thanks.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RAWC 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear of this new issue you are experiencing, and I would like to look into it for you.

Lets try and prevent it from happening first - please unplug your Beam from power for a few seconds, then plug it back in and wait for the white light to stop flashing before using.

If the Beam switches source by itself again after that, please submit a support diagnostic before switching Beam back to TV input and reply here letting me know you have done so, and I’ll be happy to take a look for you. Please don’t share the given number here. Thanks. Once the diagnostics have been submitted, switch back to the TV’s audio.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

Thanks for getting back to me, I have been out of the house for about an hour and left the system on, when I came in the same issue has occurred and the source input has switched from TV to Music Library.  I’ve submitted diagnostic as you suggested , here is the reference number **************, appreciate any help you can give.  Thanks, Andrew 

Moderator edit: diagnostics number recorded and removed

Hi Corry,

If it’s any assistance the system has just done the same thing again, if have run a further diagnostic the reference being **************.

thanks again

Moderator edit: diagnostics number recorded and removed

Hi there any suggestions, thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RAWC 

Thanks. Things are making more sense to me now - I understood the Beam to be playing music, but I now understand it is just showing the last-played music in the queue, as TV input does not replace the queue.

Your Beam seems to be having an issue with it’s memory, and is rebooting it’s software as a result. When it does this, it forgets that it was playing TV, and the Now Playing screen will show what was last queued-up (but doesn’t play it - correct?).

As the Beam is your only Sonos product, please be aware that what we need to do to try to resolve this will result in a loss of any saved favourites and playlists, and of your services - in fact, your Sonos system will need to be set up from scratch.

Please perform the following steps:

1. Open the Sonos app and go to User icon » App Preferences » Reset App » Reset. The app will exit.
  2. Factory reset the Beam by following the instructions on our Factory reset your Sonos product help page exactly. You should end up with a flashing green light on the Beam.
  3. Next, please open the Sonos app, skip past the introduction and opt to set up a new Sonos system. You can use your existing Sonos account to do so.
  4. The app should find the Beam and set it up for you - please complete all setup steps.

Hopefully, the Beam will now behave - if it does not, I recommend that you get in touch with our technical support team to look into your replacement options. I suggest you point the agent you speak to to this thread to avoid repeating any steps.

I hope this helps.