Answered

sonos beam gen2 without tv connection

• 2 March 2024
  • 8 replies

Beam gen2 quick start guide says need to connect to tv and ensure tv is on before start add to system in app. Can I add a beam to system without the tv connection to Android Sonos app?

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 2 March 2024, 16:57

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syfhei 

Yes, of course you can. Any Sonos home theater device also can be set up and used as a normal speaker. Just ignore the setup step of connecting to tv. 

Thank you for the confirmation.

I have trouble trying to add a new beam to android sonos app using wireless and even using a wired connection and wondered was it because I didn't have the tv connection.

The app will say successfully added, and in sonos app it appears as "Beam (unused)" in system. If I click on that, it pops up the "let's finish adding your Beam to the system" window after which I press "continue" and then Sonos app goes into a "your Sonos system must be factory reset before you can register it to a new account" window. I followed the Sonos guide to factory reset the beam and try to add again but the app keeps circling me back to the same dialogs despite N times tried. Tried resetting router, update router firmware etc etc but still stuck in this dead loop even though the beam led is a solid white.

Looks like I have to give support hotline a call during weekday. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syfhei

Are you logged into your Sonos account in Sonos app? If so, you could try resetting or reinstalling the Sonos app. 

Yes, I have tried uninstall and reinstall the Sonos app too.

It still ends up in same "you sonos system must be factory reset..."window after I login in app using Sonos account.

Totally out of ideas. :(

Omg.... I think I stumbled upon it.

In the Android Sonos app - Settings - App Preferences, I went a d enabled every single setting toggle I can find , and also enabled Android Sonos app - Settings - App Preferences- Installer setup - multi product setup. I have no idea what all of those settings do.

But finally I am pass the "your sonos system must be factory reset..."window and have successfully added the beam to a room and the app is telling me the beam needs an update to latest firmware.

Here's hoping it works.

Happy to report that the firmware update was successful and beam is still finally setup in app.

Thanks! 

Perhaps sonos android app developer should have had to enable whatever app settings which was required by default?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@syfhei

Thx for your feedback and good to hear it just works now. 😎

By default the expert setting is off… so I suppose you turned it on by mistake. 

* happens… 😉

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Yes,the expert setting is off by default after install.

Only got pass the "need factory reset" window after I had turned it on. :)