Answered

Sonos Beam (Gen 2)/TV Volume Issues

• 12 June 2022
  • 4 replies

I’ve got two questions/issues after setting up my Sonos Beam (Gen 2). We can try to solve #1 first then work on #2 if that’s better than dealing with both at the same time.

Soundbar: Sonos Beam (Gen 2) connected to TV with HDMI-ARC
TV: TCL 55S405
TV Box Remote: Xr11
Updates: Both the Beam and the Sonos app are using the latest updates

Both my TV remote and my TV box remote can control the Beam’s volume by adjusting the TV volume using an IR signal. But my TV box remote can also use RF and I’m wondering: Is there a way for the Beam to receive RF signals from the remote?

The TV/Beam volume gets set to zero after streaming music from my phone to the Beam (using Airplay 2) instead of returning to the previously selected TV volume level. I have TV Autoplay selected ‘on’ in the Sonos app and this even happens if I stop streaming the music first then turn on the TV afterwards.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 June 2022, 22:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

1. if the Beam is connected with ARC, then IR isn’t necessary, the Beam will be receiving volume commands through CEC from the TV set, and it doesn’t need to be via IR.
  2. Not sure about this one. Sonos doesn’t have its own ‘setting the volume at the beginning of X”,  it always assumes the volume as previously set.  I have used a Harmony remote at times that did set volumes on my Sonos, but that was part of the Harmony software, not the Sonos. Of course, you’re using AirPlay 2, you say, and not the Sonos software, so it’s possible you’re running into something in that software. Or possibly…it could be resetting the volume to zero as part of AirPlay 2, but not, I think, as part of the Sonos system. 

Thank you for your quick reply to my issues. Sorry I haven’t been able to follow up sooner.

1. Yes, the TV Box remote (XR11) is able to adjust the TV volume using IR, and this subsequently adjusts the soundbar’s volume that is connected via ARC. I’m hoping that I can connect the XR11 remote to the soundbar directly using RF. I’d prefer this as then I won’t be reliant on the IR signal to adjust the volume, as using RF doesn’t require a line of sight.

2. That makes sense. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, Sonos does not do remote via RF.

Userlevel 7

The TV/Beam volume gets set to zero after streaming music from my phone to the Beam (using Airplay 2) instead of returning to the previously selected TV volume level. I have TV Autoplay selected ‘on’ in the Sonos app and this even happens if I stop streaming the music first then turn on the TV afterwards.

I get this with TV/Arc, after streaming music (not using Airplay).

Using Sonos Voice Control, when the TV is on, I’ve found that ‘hey Sonos, television’ will change back to TV and the tv volume will not be muted. May also work when tv is off and later turned on, but haven’t tried that.