Sonos Beam Gen 2 & Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo - ARC Issues

• 12 February 2023
  • 8 replies

I just got the Beam Gen 2 and it seems that i can’t use it properly with my Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo media player. The Vision 4K Solo has 3 HDMI ports at the rear, one input, and two output ones, one of which is for audio only. The thing is that i need the output HDMI to go to the LG TV so the only one i have left is the audio output HDMI and that is not compatible with the Beam Gen 2.

I did enable ARC and CEC via the media player, nada.

So basically since for some reason i don’t get Sonos didn’t put a 2nd HDMI onto the soundbar (input/output) i can’t have HD audio as output since i will need to use the HDMI to Optical adapter.

Ideas anyone?

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Your Media player doesn’t output an ARC signal, only your TV does, through the labeled port. You should be connecting this media player to your TV set via HDMI, and the Beam should stay connected to your TV’s ARC port. The electronics in the TV will take any incoming HDMI signal, convert it to an ARC signal, and send it back out to the Beam to play. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos uses the TV as the center for all connections. Since the TV does all the switching, Sonos only needs one HDMI, to connect to the HDMI-ARC on the TV. Form your message I gather the Dune is a player with HDMI-ARC? I have not come across any of these before.

The TV is the thing I miss in your message. Why not connect everything as intended: Dune to TV, TV via HDMI-ARC out to Beam?

Your Media player doesn’t output an ARC signal, only your TV does, through the labeled port. You should be connecting this media player to your TV set via HDMI, and the Beam should stay connected to your TV’s ARC port. The electronics in the TV will take any incoming HDMI signal, convert it to an ARC signal, and send it back out to the Beam to play. 

It does have an ARC HDMI, the thing is that it’s the one that outputs video and audio, not the one with just audio. Also i had another Atmos soundbar before this one, worked fine, why did they make ARC a prerequisite? That’s the buffling thing, my media player IR remote got easily paired with the Beam Gen 2 so i don’t know why they made ARC a must.

Sonos uses the TV as the center for all connections. Since the TV does all the switching, Sonos only needs one HDMI, to connect to the HDMI-ARC on the TV. Form your message I gather the Dune is a player with HDMI-ARC? I have not come across any of these before.

The TV is the thing I miss in your message. Why not connect everything as intended: Dune to TV, TV via HDMI-ARC out to Beam?

My LG Atmos TV only has HDMI inputs, not outputs, will audio from my media player be pushed to the Sonos Beam Gen 2 if i connect both via HDMI to the TV? Didn’t think that would be the case but will try (so far i’ve had the HDMI audio output from the media player connected to my previous soundbar and the audio-video HDMI output connected to my TV).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry if I seem to doubt your statements, but it is highly unusual that an modern Atmos-capable TV does not do HDMI-ARC. If it does not, there’s no way the sound will get to the Beam via HDMI. HDMI-ARC uses different pins on the HDMI connector. You’d need to use optical (with the converter supplied with the Beam), either from the TV or the Dune. Could you supply the model number of your TV?

Also, everything I can find about the Dune does not mention HDMI-ARC (https://www.dune-hd.com/products/dune-hd-pro-vision-4k-solo#specificationshttps://nl.manuals.plus/dune-hd/pro-vision-4k-solo-manual/amp). All the pictures I can find also do not show ARC mentioned on the rear of the device (see https://latestintech.com/dune-hd-pro-vision-4k-solo-review/) as is usual. On what do you base your conclusion that de Dune does do HDMI-ARC?

What I saw on Amazon.com was a standard HDMI output, which carries both audio and video on the standard HDMI pins. I saw no indication that any data was being carried on the ARC pins. Perhaps if you were to link the manual, so that we could look at it, that would be more educational. 

You’re asking a user about what intent Sonos had about making the device an ARC device. Since I don’t work there, it’ll hazard a guess that it’s mostly due to ease of setup. Sonos seems to want to appeal to as many people, as easily as possible, and give that most, if not all TVs sold today have ARC, I’d imagine that’s the reason. 

If your LG has a HDMI port that is labeled ARC, then that one port is both input and output. That’s the way CEC/HDMI-ARC works. It can be used as an input, but ultimately is designed to connect to as an output, carrying the ARC data on the appropriate pins. 

The computer inside the TV is designed to accept all audio coming in on an HDMI port, and ‘reflect’ it back out on the appropriate pins on the port labeled ARC. 

Sorry if I seem to doubt your statements, but it is highly unusual that an modern Atmos-capable TV does not do HDMI-ARC. If it does not, there’s no way the sound will get to the Beam via HDMI. HDMI-ARC uses different pins on the HDMI connector. You’d need to use optical (with the converter supplied with the Beam), either from the TV or the Dune. Could you supply the model number of your TV?

Also, everything I can find about the Dune does not mention HDMI-ARC (https://www.dune-hd.com/products/dune-hd-pro-vision-4k-solo#specificationshttps://nl.manuals.plus/dune-hd/pro-vision-4k-solo-manual/amp). All the pictures I can find also do not show ARC mentioned on the rear of the device (see https://latestintech.com/dune-hd-pro-vision-4k-solo-review/) as is usual. On what do you base your conclusion that de Dune does do HDMI-ARC?

Never said my TV doesn’t, i just didn’t know that incoming signals on all HDMI ports get outputted on the ARC HDMI port, that’s all. As for the Dune HD player it has enable ARC and CEC options in the settings, if they are just for show i don't know.

What I saw on Amazon.com was a standard HDMI output, which carries both audio and video on the standard HDMI pins. I saw no indication that any data was being carried on the ARC pins. Perhaps if you were to link the manual, so that we could look at it, that would be more educational. 

You’re asking a user about what intent Sonos had about making the device an ARC device. Since I don’t work there, it’ll hazard a guess that it’s mostly due to ease of setup. Sonos seems to want to appeal to as many people, as easily as possible, and give that most, if not all TVs sold today have ARC, I’d imagine that’s the reason. 

If your LG has a HDMI port that is labeled ARC, then that one port is both input and output. That’s the way CEC/HDMI-ARC works. It can be used as an input, but ultimately is designed to connect to as an output, carrying the ARC data on the appropriate pins. 

The computer inside the TV is designed to accept all audio coming in on an HDMI port, and ‘reflect’ it back out on the appropriate pins on the port labeled ARC. 

I had no idea that HDMI ports take signals and pass them through to the ARC HDMI port, if that’s the case it does make sense that Sonos took that route indeed. Will try later tonight :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There does seem an ARC-setting for the Dune as this is also mentioned here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dune-hd-pro-vision-4k-solo.3180599/page-47#post-60872982

I do believe it is probably not doing anything however.

Without evidence of a link to a manual for the device that states the fact directly, it would be the only device I know of that emits an ARC signal without a corresponding label on the HDMI port. The electronics necessary to convert HDMI to HDMI ARC is fairly specific, and not cheap. See the cost for the HD Fury device, the Feintech device, and even the OREI device.