Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Beam Gen 2 Audio cutting out while Playing on Xbox One S

• 3 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Audio cuts out and comes back while I am playing a game on the Xbox Series S. I am playing on a Hisense U8G tv. I have the Xbox plugged into HDMI port 4 for the 120hz. I have the Sonos Beam plugged into HDMI port 3 with the eARC. My setting on the xbox are HDMI audio Stereo Uncompressed (I have also tried dolby digital). The xbox is set to 1440p 120hz. As for the tv settings, HDMI Format Enhanced, audio output eARC, and digital audio out is PCM. I have tried different settings and different hdmi cables and keep getting the same issue. Is there something I am missing or is something wrong with the beam. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried turning off eARC on the TV?

You can also try setting Digital Audio Out to either Pass Through or Auto.

On the Xbox, try setting HDMI Audio to 5.1 Uncompressed.

The last two settings should also result in higher quality audio too.

Thank you. That seemed to have made it work and have the audio stop cutting out. Do you know why turning off eARC and just having it on ARC makes it work?

Userlevel 7

eARC is a fairly new protocol that has recently been added to newer model TVs and sound bars in the last couple of years. As with anything new, there are problems that can arise especially when different brands have to connect and communicate with each other. For example, some newer Samsung TVs with eARC are known to have issues with the Arc and Beam (Gen 2).

If you need to play high bitrate, lossless audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and multichannel PCM, you need eARC enabled. But for stereo or lossy Dolby Digital or DTS Digital Surround audio, HDMI ARC is sufficient.