Answered

Sonos Arc with Samsung TVs (HDMI-eARC message)

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Everytime I turn on my TV I get the following popup message “Audio device connected via HDMI-eARC. The screen may flicker as the audio settings are changed.”

I think this only happens with Sonos Soundbars when connected with eARC. I suppose it is because the soundbar HDMI-port gets in some sort of sleep mode when TV is off. Is it possible to fix this so we don’t get this message everytime?

As a note I also want to add that sporadically I get disconnects during this handshake. I get following messages:

1. Audio device connected via HDMI-eARC…
  2. Audio device disconnected from HDMI-eARC…
  3. Audio device connected via HDMI-eARC…

This causes the HDMI port to flash number of times each time I turn on the TV.

I think this should be low hanging fruit for Sonos to fix for Samsung TV users.

When using HDMI-ARC (no eARC) I get no popups whatsoever. This only applies for eARC.

For reference I have a Samsung Q90R from 2019.

Hope anyone from Sonos can help!

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 14 April 2023, 23:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Question is if this is common for Samsung/Sonos users or if it is just your set.

Question is if this is common for Samsung/Sonos users or if it is just your set.

Yes indeed. My research shows that this is an issue for people with a Samsung TV using a Sonos soundbar. Hope to hear from Samsung users using eARC with Sonos in this thread!

Yes indeed. My research shows that this is an issue for people with a Samsung TV using a Sonos soundbar. Hope to hear from Samsung users using eARC with Sonos in this thread!

Samsung TV owner using an Arc and I do not get any message like the one described.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What model TV are you using?

Samsung TV owner using an Arc and I do not get any message like the one described.

Which TV model and do you use HDMI-eARC? :)

What model TV are you using?

Samsung Q90R. Updated my post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The size of the the thread in this page indicates the scale of the issue and also that it is not restricted to Sonos SoundBars: https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-8k-q950r-qled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2221008/page-71

Have you tried updating the firmware as per this page: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE65Q90RATXXU/#downloads

The size of the the thread in this page indicates the scale of the issue and also that it is not restricted to Sonos SoundBars: https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-8k-q950r-qled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2221008/page-71

Have you tried updating the firmware as per this page: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE65Q90RATXXU/#downloads

That thread is not relevant as they are discussing the arrival of eARC functionality for some Samsung TVs. My TV also got eARC through a firmware update. But the issue here is not that eARC is not working, it’s the initial handshake popup - and as mentioned, some disconnects happen every now and then, but it always end up being connected. I am running the latest firmware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well I suppose that would have been too easy! :)

As a long shot, have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Edit:

This still sounds like it’s a Samsung issue...

Yes I tried different HDMI cables, not the issue. I think this is software-related. Easy to blame Samsung but this does not happen with other eARC Soundbars on the same TV. So I guess its related to HDMI port going into some power saving mode and then handshake needs to be reestablished.

I dont know if Sonos monitor this forum or if I should create a ticket based on this thread as this is a technical issue. I am new to the forums.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes I tried different HDMI cables, not the issue. I think this is software-related. Easy to blame Samsung but this does not happen with other eARC Soundbars on the same TV. So I guess its related to HDMI port going into some power saving mode and then handshake needs to be reestablished.

I dont know if Sonos monitor this forum or if I should create a ticket based on this thread as this is a technical issue. I am new to the forums.

Sonos definitely monitor these forums, I’ll flag for someone to investigate.

It certainly seems to me to be a TV CEC issue too, I think..

Does this message disappear if you detach all other devices from the TV HDMI ports (obviously leaving just the Sonos soundbar only attached) I’m thinking if the issue does go away, then it might be easily fixed by switching off the CEC protocol on those ‘other’ connected peripherals before reconnecting them back to the TV - or maybe use a CEC-less adapter if they do not allow CEC to be disabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Chillout_ 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

While I too think this is probably your TV at work, @Ken_Griffiths makes an excellent suggestion - it could very well be caused by a CEC conflict with another device connected to the TV. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - there should be some indication in the CEC logs.

I hope this helps.

Does this message disappear if you detach all other devices from the TV HDMI ports (obviously leaving just the Sonos soundbar only attached) I’m thinking if the issue does go away, then it might be easily fixed by switching off the CEC protocol on those ‘other’ connected peripherals before reconnecting them back to the TV - or maybe use a CEC-less adapter if they do not allow CEC to be disabled.

Tried this. Still the same. Does not seem to be other devices interfering.

Tried this. Still the same. Does not seem to be other devices interfering.

In that case @Chillout_  I would perhaps still go onto follow @Corry P’s suggestion and contact the Sonos Technical Support Team as they have the tools to investigate the matter further. 

Will do.

Still, anyone else having a 2019-2020 Samsung QLED TV that use eARC functionality who has this popup message every time you turn on TV? This will be useful info for me.

Thanks!

@Chillout_ 

If I search for "Samsung Q90R" here in the forum, there are 124 hits returned, but I can’t see anyone mentioning the same issue - If it’s not the cable, then perhaps there’s a fault, but the Technical Support Team should be able to assist with that and support maybe able to pinpoint if it’s the Sonos Arc or maybe the TV. I’m thinking it’s CEC (AnyNet+) related, but clearly it needs some further investigation.

@Chillout_ 

If I search for "Samsung Q90R" here in the forum, there are 124 hits returned, but I can’t see anyone mentioning the same issue - If it’s not the cable, then perhaps there’s a fault, but the Technical Support Team should be able to assist with that and support maybe able to pinpoint if it’s the Sonos Arc or maybe the TV. I’m thinking it’s CEC (AnyNet+) related, but clearly it needs some further investigation.

Technical support team checked logs, no fault on the Arc they said. It’s a bit diffused this issue if not anyone else have seen this message. It happens with any cable I try. Probably a TV-thing but then I would like to see other people having the same popup.

Edit: Samsung forum states that this popup happens with everyone else also. So it’s a “feature”!

Thank you for all the help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for updating the thread.

I recently added a Sonos Arc to my Samsung Q90R and have been having the exact same problem.  Every time I turn the system on, the tv spends a long period of time (two to three minutes) connecting to eArc and then disconnecting and then reconnecting and then disconnecting again, over and over and over.  Most of the time it eventually connects properly and then displays the picture,  but sometimes it never does connect properly and I have to turn everything off and start over.  I’ve tried all the standard solutions (confirmed have latest software, changed hdmi cables, rebooted everything, etc., etc), all to no avail.  Has anyone found a solution to this?

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

I recently added a Sonos Arc to my Samsung Q90R and have been having the exact same problem.  Every time I turn the system on, the tv spends a long period of time (two to three minutes) connecting to eArc and then disconnecting and then reconnecting and then disconnecting again, over and over and over.  Most of the time it eventually connects properly and then displays the picture,  but sometimes it never does connect properly and I have to turn everything off and start over.  I’ve tried all the standard solutions (confirmed have latest software, changed hdmi cables, rebooted everything, etc., etc), all to no avail.  Has anyone found a solution to this?

I also have the exact same issue I’m pretty sure it’s on Samsung’s side. Before the Arc I used to have a Samsung soundbar and this tv just decided it wouldn’t connect to it for a month.  Do you by any chance ouse a PS5 or XBOX on port 4? Because when you put 120Hz on it sometimes the PS5 has visual issues. I still have warranty but I want to try to fix this before having to truck this tv out to the repairs due to complaints. 

I came here hoping for a good solution. This message is driving me crazy. Even thinking about replacing the TV. There is still no possibility to resolve this?

Badge

Morning All, 

I have been having this problem for some time now as well. 

I have fixed the problem for my set up. Whether it will work on anyone else's I don't know, but am sharing for all to see. 

System:

Samsung QE65Q90RATXXU

Sonos Arc, Sub and One SL surrounds

Yesterday I was updating the firmware on my router and noticed when the router rebooted the connecting as discussed above message appeared. Very odd. This made me think that actually the issue might be linked to the network as much to the connectivity between the TV and Soundbar. I also knew that whenever I was listening to the radio and then switched the TV on, the same connecting issue did not happen very much.

I had already fixed the IP address of the TV, but made two further changes to my network settings

1. I fixed the IP address of the SONOS Arc
  2. I fixed the sonos net channel to channel 6.

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/change-your-sonos-system-s-wireless-channel

I switched the TV on this morning as a test, and low and behold the TV went straight on, connected to the ARC and there was none of the very irritating messages. 

So for me, it is fixed, maybe this will help other people

good luck

Neil