Answered

Sonos Arc volume very loud at low volume

• 7 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I own 2 x Arcs.

I was watching walking dead on one of them at nearly 50 % volume which is what I would expect.

I then watched a movie in the living room and volume was super loud even at about 10 - 15% volume.

Because of this the loudness eq makes the bass so loud and over emphasised as it is adaptive at lower volume,

The the only way we could watch the movie was with night mode on in order to hear the dialogue without being blown out of the sofa (Terminator 2 on ATV for info)

I tried walking dead in the living room this am and again this could only be played at a very low volume.

The only difference in the 2 systems is I have a sub mini on the living room system.

Could that be causing the huge volume variation between the 2 systems???

icon

Best answer by jimmyjamesh 7 January 2023, 13:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Explore the Volume Limit on the two ARC’s. Maybe one unit has this set and the other unit does not.

With respect to bass, room location of the SUB and listener can have a significant effect on bass levels. You can explore this by playing a music track with a thumping bass. Walk around the room, close to the walls and carry a few Post-it’s. You’ll discover spots where the bass is more significant. Drop a Post-it here. You’ll also observe a few spots where the bass will be even more significant. Add a “!!” to this Post-it. Stepping back you’ll notice that the Post-it’s are more or less regularly placed. The Post-it locations are “peaks” and these are room properties. About midway between the Post-it’s is a “null” where the bass will be much less. If you or a SUB is placed at a peak, bass will be more significant.

In my college apartment there was a significant peak. I placed a chair at that peak. This was the favorite spot for males because bass notes seemed to explode from inside your body. If I moved the chair a few inches the peak was gone.

Userlevel 1
Badge

volume limit was set to max on both.

I bit the bullet and did a factory reset on the arc and seems to have fixed it.

Was a fairly painless experience to be fair.