Sonos Arc using multiple hdmi with large distance projector

• 12 May 2023
  • 6 replies

I read quite a few posts about using multiple hdmi and the sonos arc, but I think my use case is a bit unique because of a very long hdmi run, so arc is not supported.

I am looking to get multiple devices connected to my projector, but want to use a wireless sonos system as audio for all devices.  The HDMI run is quite long like I mentioned, so I cannot use eARC with the projector without having to have the converters to ethernet, so just wondering if anything makes what I am looking for possible:

We do not really need anything fancy in terms of surround, just literally trying to figure out how to use the arc for sound with all these devices far from the projector.

Any help would be super appreciated.

EDIT: I should mention that we do not currently have an AVR, I am not sure if any AVR would actually work for this use case or if there is something else we’d need to hook up like an hdmi splitter to a sonos connect?   Not really sure.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don’t know of any AVR that creates either an ARC or eARC signal, which is what is required by the Sonos Arc. You’d likely need to include an external ARC/eARC generating device.

There is the HD Fury Arcana, the Feintech VAX04101k, and the latest, is the OREI HDA-935. You can also order from those links from the companies directly, or check your local retailers for availability. Amazon may carry some, depending on location.

Or go with a more old school HDMI to optical switch. 

What I have zero knowledge on is wireless devices to carry a 5.1 signal, Dolby Digital (max from optical), Dolby Digital Plus/compressed Atmos (max on ARC), or full uncompressed Atmos on eARC. 

You may want to look at other solutions than Sonos. 

One of the trickiest parts of this setup is the 75ft HDMI cable that can carry 4K video. Purchase a cable rated for this. Since you will not be directly connecting any input devices to the projector, this does not need to be an HDMI-eARC capable cable.

Any of the HDMI-eARC breakout boxes quoted above will provide the input for ARC.

The HDMI switch can cause some nags if the input devices supply different audio and video resolutions. The switch, ARC, and the projector will need to renegotiate their connection each time you change sources. This may not go well. I don’t have a switch recommendation. You could get lucky and an inexpensive switch will work for you. There are some step up switches that offer custom EDID settings for each input. The best approach would be to use a switcher designed for bars, but these are expensive. I’m sure you have noticed the blackout period as you switch HDMI sources. During the blackout the boxes are exchanging data, certifying that they support copyright protection, and finding a complimentary audio/video format to use. There are switchers that have extra hardware for each input and output, plus a scaler that can translate between formats if necessary. Each input and output thinks that it has a forever connection and switching time between inputs is much less than a blink.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Halestorm you would not use an AVR with the SONOS Arc Soundbar.

As others have suggested there are two parts to your connectivity plan.

1 - Switch multiple HDMI Source devices to the Projector plus Arc (which does not have a conventional HDMI Input port). You can use the HDFury VRRoom to accomplish that part. 

2 - Send the ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​HDMI video over a 75” cable run. A Hybrid Fibre cable is one option, though it will need to be externally powered and even then 75’ is a long way for HDMI. HDFury supply a 65’ Hybrid Fibre cable which we have supplied to many customers. You could use an ‘Over CAT’ Extender, those based on HDBT are the best option, and it does not need to support eARC/ARC as you are not using the Projector as a ‘source’ you are simply sending video to the Projector.

NOTE you will need to connect the Arc soundbar to an eARC/ARC TV to undertake the initial SONOS configuration before you then introduce the VRRoom.

Userlevel 1

I us a hd fury Arcana for my tv then also use it when having my projector out for movie night and it works well for e-arc sound and visuals. I have a hdmi powered splitter for 4 separate inputs that go to the arcana and that splits video to the tv / projector and sound to the sonos arc. It can be a bit temperamental when switching input on the fly but a power on and off the arcana solves it.

Not sure about a long 75ft hdmi cable though as thats over 20 meters so could be expensive to find a good one. 

I had a similar setup at my place, so here's what I did. I got an HDMI splitter to connect all my devices to the projector. Then, I used an HDMI audio extractor to extract the audio signals from the HDMI output of the splitter. Finally, I connected the audio extractor to a Sonos Connect, which wirelessly transmitted the audio to my Sonos speakers. This way, I was able to enjoy wireless audio from all my devices, even though the HDMI run was quite long. It worked like a charm for me, so it should work for you too. Good luck!

However, in that configuration, the Sonos CONNECT (and a Port, the newer ‘version’) would only be sending a stereo signal, and not a 5.1 signal. Perfectly acceptable for some, not so much for people with other expectations.