Sonos Arc Poor Dialogue

• 8 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

When are these people at Sonos going to listen to the literally thousands of people complain about the lack of dialogue with the Arc.

It truly seems they don’t give a ****.

Its all our problem in that we do t know what we’re talking about and our settings are incorrect!

Id like to know how many people are actually happy with the Arc dialogue because it seems thousands arent

I can’t do TruPlay as it continually says a speaker is missing even though you can clearly hear all speakers playing during the intitial sound test!

Surely Sonos can make some type of dialogue adjustment in the App so it can be adjusted similar to bass and treble for example,  it no, we don’t have a clue hat we’re talking about.

Please listen to your customers and fix the F…ing problem.

Im truly over it

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I am happy with the Arc’s presentation of dialog, when the Arc is receiving a 5.1 signal of some type. I am not overly pleased of the voice channel when the Sonos receives a stereo only signal, but that is not a problem with Sonos, but with the source being fed to the Sonos Arc. 

Userlevel 2

You would be in minority 

I wish I knew how to do a poll on this site just to see the answer.

Volume has to be way too high just to hear the dialogue and when some action happens it’s so loud it’s unbearable 

yoiu constantly have to play with the volume on the remote whilst watching a movie 

pathetic 

Based on the number of posts I see about it, I’d expect I’m in the majority. It’s pretty rare for someone to log in to these forums and post how things are working well for them, so I do make some assumptions on numbers of purchases versus number of issues posted here. 

But in 95% of the cases I have seen, there’s been an issue in the signal being passed to Sonos. Either it’s not in a 5.1 format, or the source is poorly mixed. Not to mention the TV sets that “modify” the signal being sent out of the ARC port.  And theres always the folks who have turned up the surround volume so it steps over the center channel. Lots of potential variables, and a lot of this is subjective, based on the room in use, the ears of the listener, and the expectations to be met. 

We’re both challenged by the number of experiences we have. I control three different Arc based systems, and have not experienced any significant issues on any of them. I’ve also responded to hundreds of posts, which the ones that have gotten back to us, suggest that they’ve resolved the issues they’ve been experiencing. There’s also ones that never reply, so we have to guess at those.  But my direct sample size of three systems is too small to indicate a trend line on any sane analysis. 

If I were to have an issue, I’d probably be calling Sonos Support about it, since a lot of this is subjective. I’d want to check to see that my system is set up properly, and that the Arc is receiving the correct data from the TV set. Your mileage may vary.

You would be in minority 

I wish I knew how to do a poll on this site just to see the answer.

Volume has to be way too high just to hear the dialogue and when some action happens it’s so loud it’s unbearable 

yoiu constantly have to play with the volume on the remote whilst watching a movie 

pathetic 

35-40% volume level for our Living Room Arc. The Wife and I are fine with how the dialogue sounds - What is not so nice, is when we temporarily switch back to the TV internal speakers (that happens mainly automatically when updating the Arc’s firmware, for example) …We find the TV’s (LG C9 OLED) own internal speaker audio is not to our liking and we patiently look forward to the Arc completing its update and coming back online.

In the late evenings, we do switch on ‘Night Mode’ (when we remember to do that) to prevent disturbing others, but otherwise the Arc is set almost at EQ default settings (with Trueplay enabled) - although I may occasionally prefer to slide up the treble by 2 notches for some Movies/TV shows, but I guess that’s perhaps an ‘age thing’ in my case.

You are absolutely correct AMG45. Thanks for trying.