Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Userlevel 3

I was playing on my Xbox when the arc suddenly made an extremely loud pop sound and then lost audio completely. The app wouldn’t let me adjust the volume and Alexa wake up didn’t emit its usual tone. I had to remove the power from the arc and reapply which resumed the audio. I’m concerned that one of the speakers in the arc may have been damaged when this happened. Has anyone had this issue?

We have had no issues with the arc since purchasing it earlier this year.

Corry P 5 months ago

Hi Everyone!

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

We would also like to thank our community users for their detailed setup information and steps to reproduce the issue, which were helpful to us in uncovering the cause of the bug.

View original

1200 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Turning off Auto HDR on series X does make the pop go away . I’m happy now at least I can play Resident evil 4 with Atmos !! :)

But doesn’t that disable HDR? If so, I have a Sony OLED and I’m not disabling HDR just because Sonos insists on avoiding the elephant in the room. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Turning off Auto HDR on series X does make the pop go away . I’m happy now at least I can play Resident evil 4 with Atmos !! :)

But doesn’t that disable HDR? If so, I have a Sony OLED and I’m not disabling HDR just because Sonos insists on avoiding the elephant in the room. 

Auto HDR is only for games that are not HDR compatible such as xbox one games . Old generation games 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Auto HDR is only for games that are not HDR compatible such as xbox one games . Old generation games 

Ah, well in that case I already disabled that and still suffered from the popping. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

To add to that. Under video modes I have selected:

allow 50hz

allow 24hz

allow auto low latency mode

allow variable refresh rate

allow ycc 4:2:2

allow 4k

allow hdr 10

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Ah, well in that case I already disabled that and still suffered from the popping. 

Are you using Dolby vision?  Do you get popping only when you return to the Home Screen or is it in game?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Are you using Dolby vision?  Do you get popping only when you return to the Home Screen or is it in game?

I get popping only in the game , and I don’t use Dolby vision for gaming as my Sony Oled don’t support Dolby vision plus VRR mode

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Nevermind it popped again after 15 mins playing resident evil. Maybe need to check and then uncheck auto hdr then restart console to make it work each time 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I just started playing Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and my speaker popped again. 

Cmon Sonos, I demand an update on when I can use Atmos because as of now I just disabled it. This is unacceptable!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

It totally ruined the whole experience . It’s basically buying an Atmos product but then it’s not . It’s so ridiculous . Someone should provide us an update . It should just be a clear message , able to fix or not ? If not then I’m selling all my equipments . @Corry P  , please provide update report from engineer , thanks 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

To be fair they sold this as an Atmos product. If they don’t provide a working product based on their intended product purpose we’re all due a full refund for anything we’ve purchased. 

Sonos, this is the time to be open with your customers. We have supported you but I cannot continue to accept a product that’s priced for its Atmos capabilities when it can’t even be used due to either faulty hardware or software issues. 

Paul, I highly doubt that. You’d think Sonos would mention that in the patch notes considering it’s such a big deal. 

Sonos are in denial that this is happening, even if they fixed it there is no way they would include it. 

This is so frustrating - I have submitted numerous diagnostic reports for this problem and Sonos have never resolved the issue. Cannot use Atmos on XBox - using 7.1 and no pop. Either Sonos don’t care enough to fix it, or simply cannot fix for whatever reason. Either was its not good enough for high end equipment. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Sonos

Hello? Are you there? 

I am still awaiting a fix for the issue at hand here. Your customer support team needs to give us answers. This problem isn’t just going away. Either you need to send out fixed hardware to those affected free of charge or you fix the software. I don’t care which one but one has to be done to fix it. 

This is the Sonos ‘community’ site. If you want to communicate with Sonos directly, you should call Sonos Support.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This is the Sonos ‘community’ site. If you want to communicate with Sonos directly, you should call Sonos Support.

I get it. I’ve already reported this to them but unfortunately the phone support is useless on this issue. The only information they can give me is that my soundbar isn’t damaged from the sudden popping and the fix is to disable Atmos. However, a fix isn’t one that’s solution is to disable the reason most of us have an Arc. No one has been willing to give any updates nor will they call back with an update. That’s why so many of us are here on the forums awaiting word for Sonos…

Unfortunately, this forum is not the official communication arm of Sonos. Occasionally, we get tidbits from the Forum moderators, but not very frequently. I understand your frustration, but am trying to temper your expectations of getting any sort of ‘official’ response here. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Unfortunately, this forum is not the official communication arm of Sonos. Occasionally, we get tidbits from the Forum moderators, but not very frequently. I understand your frustration, but am trying to temper your expectations of getting any sort of ‘official’ response here. 

Thank you. 

I’m mostly just using any avenue I can at this point. I’m not sure why they haven’t fixed it yet. It’s not like it’s isolated and can’t be replicated easily. 

Userlevel 2

Soooo, today I called again sonos support asking for an update on the topic. Basically the same old crap from them: it´s a thing that just happened a few days ago, our engineers are working tirelessly to solve this, don´t call us again, we´ve got your number…so I asked to talk to a tier 2 fella and after 49 min finally a second Jason from tier 2 answered...same old, same old but now he added that it was the TV manufacturers fault and not them. Sooooo I´m tired of this s*** and I´m starting with the legal stuff. If anyone here in Mexico wants to hop in, be my guest, just reply me with your email and we´ll get in touch. I know it´s gonna be long and tedious, but since the company decided to b*** f*** me and all of us for that matter, I´ll wait and be patient. I´ll try to keep you guys posted. The first thing to do down here is get the case to a specific government consumer authority that has no teeth, but acts as a precedent to the judge when the case gets to the civil courts. Wish me luck.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That’s certainly an interesting tidbit about it being the TV manufacturers fault and not Sonos.  If I had to read between the lines it’s either a problem with the eARC ports technical standards, the passthrough mechanism or the CEC which we have discussed at length on this forum

Certainly is tough to understand how all the TV manufacturers get this wrong the same way if there isn’t a deep rooted problem with one of the specs the TV uses

Badge

That’s certainly an interesting tidbit about it being the TV manufacturers fault and not Sonos.  If I had to read between the lines it’s either a problem with the eARC ports technical standards, the passthrough mechanism or the CEC which we have discussed at length on this forum

Certainly is tough to understand how all the TV manufacturers get this wrong the same way if there isn’t a deep rooted problem with one of the specs the TV uses

I totally agree. This has been happening to my arc and it’s just ridiculous they are still selling these pieces. I just got one and it’s been pretty aweful in every way. Lol. Pretty sure the arcs are all  flawed by certain software that is unpatchable or will not respond to some of the percentage or the  firmware updates. I’m an audio engineer and these speakers suck. Lol. But everyone thinks they are the are this flagship? The reality will eventually catch up with the advertising and i think Sonos will not be around in 10 yr. Lol. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Either way, I expect a fix from someone. But I just don’t see this as being a TV manufacturer problem. If it is, Sonos needs to work with them and find a solution. With that said, I don’t believe it’s on the TV manufacturers. That sounds like a cop out. 

I have a Sony A80J. Has anyone had issues with an LG or Samsung?

Either way, I expect a fix from someone. But I just don’t see this as being a TV manufacturer problem. If it is, Sonos needs to work with them and find a solution. With that said, I don’t believe it’s on the TV manufacturers. That sounds like a cop out. 

The only common denominators I’ve mainly come across is the ‘popping’ matter seems to be related to Dolby Atmos audio over LPCM, from either an Apple TV, or Xbox, but it’s also not just Sonos branded products that have the issue, I’ve seen it reported with other brands too, but people keep saying that was in the distant past, plus there’s always one or two exceptions to the rule (as always)  - but I can only mention the things I’ve read - I still think it’s a codec(s) issue. I have never had the issue here with my Arc or Beam(s), I don’t have an Xbox or Apple TV that supports Atmos over LPCM, so that’s also part of my own reasoning for suggesting these things.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

We’ve had reports of both both LG and Samsung TVs being affected. The most interesting one was of an affected Samsung TV that had only ever used built-in apps, but which uses LPCM for Atmos. So that is a common denominator. Let’s also note that LPCM wasn’t supported at Arc launch, so all the reviews missed it. 

Sonos has suggested that other soundbars have the same problem. I don’t think that’s true. Problem reports of other soundbars might have used the word “pop”, but described different problems: a rhythmic clicking, static noise, etc. I’ve seen no systemic reports of our slamming pop followed by sound cutting out. 

In my assessment this is a Sonos-specific issue. Months ago I even worked with Sonos to submit recordings of the pop with the Arc in dev mode, which lets you download an internal log of what happened which I submitted to Sonos. Not only did I submit logs for Apple TV and Xbox producing the pop, I even submitted a pop where no audio was playing and the Apple TV was just on screensaver. 

Unfortunately since then Sonos has chosen radio silence. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’ve had the problem happen on both Sony and LG TVs in my exact same setup.  I swapped out TVs over a year ago

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We’ve had reports of both both LG and Samsung TVs being affected. The most interesting one was of an affected Samsung TV that had only ever used built-in apps, but which uses LPCM for Atmos. So that is a common denominator. Let’s also note that LPCM wasn’t supported at Arc launch, so all the reviews missed it. 

Sonos has suggested that other soundbars have the same problem. I don’t think that’s true. Problem reports of other soundbars might have used the word “pop”, but described different problems: a rhythmic clicking, static noise, etc. I’ve seen no systemic reports of our slamming pop followed by sound cutting out. 

In my assessment this is a Sonos-specific issue. Months ago I even worked with Sonos to submit recordings of the pop with the Arc in dev mode, which lets you download an internal log of what happened which I submitted to Sonos. Not only did I submit logs for Apple TV and Xbox producing the pop, I even submitted a pop where no audio was playing and the Apple TV was just on screensaver. 

Unfortunately since then Sonos has chosen radio silence. 

If they have the data there’s no valid excuse as to why they can’t fix it. You cannot sell an Atmos supported soundbar without actually supporting Atmos to its full extent. No where on the box or written materials was there “does not support certain Atmos capable devices”

They either fix the issue or offer refunds for the systems that have issues. It’s truly that simple