Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Userlevel 3

I was playing on my Xbox when the arc suddenly made an extremely loud pop sound and then lost audio completely. The app wouldn’t let me adjust the volume and Alexa wake up didn’t emit its usual tone. I had to remove the power from the arc and reapply which resumed the audio. I’m concerned that one of the speakers in the arc may have been damaged when this happened. Has anyone had this issue?

We have had no issues with the arc since purchasing it earlier this year.

Corry P 4 months ago

Hi Everyone!

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

We would also like to thank our community users for their detailed setup information and steps to reproduce the issue, which were helpful to us in uncovering the cause of the bug.

View original

1200 replies

I’ve just experienced this issue this evening watching Dolby Atmos (Doctor Strange on Disney Plus via Apple TV)
A very large startling pop and then Sonos no longer produces audio, even though it thinks it is (rear surrounds were still working but Arc was not). Turning on and off seems to help but now I’m unclear whether there has been damage to the speaker.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve just experienced this issue this evening watching Dolby Atmos (Doctor Strange on Disney Plus via Apple TV)
A very large startling pop and then Sonos no longer produces audio, even though it thinks it is (rear surrounds were still working but Arc was not). Turning on and off seems to help but now I’m unclear whether there has been damage to the speaker.

Yeah strange that it’s happening to a lot of people all at once. Has to be a reason for it. I’m convinced mines damaged after this happened so I’m hoping to arrange a replacement. It didn’t sound very healthy when it happened 

This is happening to me too, Apple TV connected to LG CX77 and Sonos Arc. It happens roughly once a day.

My reply from SONOS tech support was fairly basic. They sent me to a link about unsupported media.

Which would be fine if it was continuing to react, except the only way to get any functionality back has been to power cycle the ARC.

Awaiting the next bang, and then I have a bit more experimenting to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m glad to hear that there are no audio distortions after hearing this “pop”. If this issue happens repeatedly, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m glad to hear that there are no audio distortions after hearing this “pop”. If this issue happens repeatedly, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

@Corry P Hi, in my case there is a loss of audio quality since this has happened. It’s a wider issue which seems to be happening more often.

ive been waiting for a response from the engineer team for 4-5 days. Do you know when I might hear back from them? Case number is 02710177.

thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@DC92 When a case is escalated, it goes back in a queue which may take some time to clear to your position. The owner of your case was changed about 4 hours before you posted, to that of a senior technical support technician (I believe they take ownership of a few cases at the start of a day and work through them). Thank you for you patience so far, and I believe you’ll be contacted soon.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@DC92 When a case is escalated, it goes back in a queue which may take some time to clear to your position. The owner of your case was changed about 4 hours before you posted, to that of a senior technical support technician (I believe they take ownership of a few cases at the start of a day and work through them). Thank you for you patience so far, and I believe you’ll be contacted soon.

Ah that’s great thanks! I’ll keep an eye on my emails :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

@DC92 Hi, Be great to know any of the feedback you get via email in the end if that’s possible please, would certainly help with any next steps.👍

Userlevel 1
Badge

@DC92 Hi, Be great to know any of the feedback you get via email in the end if that’s possible please, would certainly help with any next steps.👍

No reply as of yet, imagine it’ll be tomorrow now. I’ll post any update I get here 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey, Not heard from Sonos just yet, saw my local currys had one in stock (where I bought it from) So I took it in for a replacement and the new one sounds miles better :) 

I’ll see what SONOS return with anyway and pop it in here when they eventually reply. I’ll ask them what they would’ve done had I not replaced it already too just so other people with this issue know how to proceed.

Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey, Not heard from Sonos just yet, saw my local currys had one in stock (where I bought it from) So I took it in for a replacement and the new one sounds miles better :) 

I’ll see what SONOS return with anyway and pop it in here when they eventually reply. I’ll ask them what they would’ve done had I not replaced it already too just so other people with this issue know how to proceed.

Cheers

That’s brilliant cheers mate. Good that currys swapped it usually they make things a bit hard sometimes and the fact you noticed a difference is really interesting! Thanks again for the update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Cheers

That’s brilliant cheers mate. Good that currys swapped it usually they make things a bit hard sometimes and the fact you noticed a difference is really interesting! Thanks again for the update.

Hey, Sonos got back to me and asked me to do the following in order to test for damage to the speakers:

“As simple test to confirm, Trueplay. Please attempt to Trueplay the Arc in a 5.0 surround set up as well as while a stand along player. Please capture a diagnostic after each tune and let me know the outcome”

As I can’t do this now I’ve replaced the arc I’ve shifted the question to whether Sonos are looking into this issue we’ve all started experiencing recently. Whether it’s something they’re aware of and how we can avoid this pop sound. If it caused damage to my ARC then I’d imagine some other will follow. I’ll update again when they return with answer 

cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge

Cheers

Hey, Sonos got back to me and asked me to do the following in order to test for damage to the speakers:

“As simple test to confirm, Trueplay. Please attempt to Trueplay the Arc in a 5.0 surround set up as well as while a stand along player. Please capture a diagnostic after each tune and let me know the outcome”

As I can’t do this now I’ve replaced the arc I’ve shifted the question to whether Sonos are looking into this issue we’ve all started experiencing recently. Whether it’s something they’re aware of and how we can avoid this pop sound. If it caused damage to my ARC then I’d imagine some other will follow. I’ll update again when they return with answer 

cheers

Brilliant update, thanks for taking the time to do that much appreciated!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Cheers

cheers

Brilliant update, thanks for taking the time to do that much appreciated!!

Not a problem, still waiting for a response. I have read somewhere that the auto HDR feature on Xbox sometimes causes the pop to occur. It happens when the image type and audio changes. So this apparently fixes the problem (not tried it) but may be worth trying :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have an Xbox One X attached to the Arc via the HD Fury Arcana, and I have also had the LOUD POP. 

Its proper frightening when it happens. It sounds like a gun going off in the room. 

This has happened at least a dozen times but it has always been at-random. 

I don't think my speakers were ruined but if this happened more frequently I would be concerned. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an Xbox One X attached to the Arc via the HD Fury Arcana, and I have also had the LOUD POP. 

Its proper frightening when it happens. It sounds like a gun going off in the room. 

This has happened at least a dozen times but it has always been at-random. 

I don't think my speakers were ruined but if this happened more frequently I would be concerned. 

Hey, I read online disabling the auto HDR feature on the Xbox and switching audio delay to on with the arcana should stop this happening. I have an arcana too and this is what the engineers who make the arcana suggest on their discord :) If you give this a go and let us know if it works that'd be brilliant. In the process of testing this myself 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hey, I read online disabling the auto HDR feature on the Xbox and switching audio delay to on with the arcana should stop this happening. I have an arcana too and this is what the engineers who make the arcana suggest on their discord 🙂 If you give this a go and let us know if it works that'd be brilliant. In the process of testing this myself 

Thanks for sharing that, @DC92. Has anyone been able to confirm that doing this has helped?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey, I read online disabling the auto HDR feature on the Xbox and switching audio delay to on with the arcana should stop this happening. I have an arcana too and this is what the engineers who make the arcana suggest on their discord 🙂 If you give this a go and let us know if it works that'd be brilliant. In the process of testing this myself 

Thanks for sharing that, @DC92. Has anyone been able to confirm that doing this has helped?

A couple of people on the discord said it’s not happened since, it hasn’t happened to myself either yet but very limited use. It’s not perfect scenario due to me having Arcana but the issue does occur with LG eARC tv’s commonly from what I’ve seen. I’ll keep the auto HDR feature turned off and then keep you posted on whether it happens again.

Hello all. Been having this issue for some time. Contacted support and they offered me a new arc, but this has to be a bigger issue. I tried the auto hdr. It worked for quite a few days. The popping now all the sudden started again. Curious if anyone else's started popping with the hdr fix?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello all. Been having this issue for some time. Contacted support and they offered me a new arc, but this has to be a bigger issue. I tried the auto hdr. It worked for quite a few days. The popping now all the sudden started again. Curious if anyone else's started popping with the hdr fix?

Hi. I’ve only had it happen once but it was so loud I though something had exploded, that was a few weeks back and I’ve been in and out of auto hdr games. But after using it a while since I am now more convinced something is degraded quality wise on the ARC because of that issue, so it’s good to know you were offered a replacement, will have to make contact with support.

Same thing has just happened to me, loud pop followed by no sound. Not sure if it's damaged now. Is there any way to check each individual speaker speaker on the arc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @steslatt 

Same thing has just happened to me, loud pop followed by no sound. Not sure if it's damaged now. Is there any way to check each individual speaker speaker on the arc?

The easiest way is just playing something and putting your ear close to each driver, I’m afraid. You may be able to find a video that plays test tones in 5.1, however - I believe searching for “test” on Netflix will produce some results. Avoid YouTube as they re-encode uploaded 5.1 tracks to stereo (you need 5.1 to test the centre speaker).

Edit: Removed line stating issue was only on XBox

Hi Everyone!

As this is only happening with the XBox, I highly recommend you all report it to Microsoft if you haven’t already - the more reports they get, the more seriously they’ll take the issue.

The easiest way is just playing something and putting your ear close to each driver, I’m afraid. You may be able to find a video that plays test tones in 5.1, however - I believe searching for “test” on Netflix will produce some results. Avoid YouTube as they re-encode uploaded 5.1 tracks to stereo (you need 5.1 to test the centre speaker).

Has this been confirmed to be an Xbox issue though? I didn't have this problem using my LG soundbar and I can't find any other issues online apart from Sonos.

I've spoken to support and after looking at my diagnostic file they said everything seems to be working ok.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @steslatt 

Has this been confirmed to be an Xbox issue though? I didn't have this problem using my LG soundbar and I can't find any other issues online apart from Sonos.

Apologies - I re-read the topic and noticed the Apple TV reports too. 

I can only recommend that anyone who experiences this immediately submits a diagnostic and then gets in touch with our technical support team when convenient.