Sonos Arc infamous Popping Sound

• 27 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Been using Sonos Arc for close to a month and just today morning heard the infamous popping sound! 

Setup - Sonos Arc connected to LG C2 to HDMI 2 port [eARC], content via Apple TV. 

Restarted the TV and everything worked fine but I am wondering if this is going to be on going pain?

Just few days back picked up a Sonos Sub Mini and I am really worried! 

Sonos team/ community, thoughts? 

Please note - PS5 is connected to the TV too, but wasn’t used to pay content. 

Corry P 1 year ago

Hi @shantanu_gupta 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There’s a fairly extensive thread on this issue already:

Towards the end of the thread, it has been reported that disabling CEC on the source devices (Apple TV, X-Box) stops the issue, but this has not yet been confirmed.

I hope this helps.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @shantanu_gupta 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There’s a fairly extensive thread on this issue already:

Towards the end of the thread, it has been reported that disabling CEC on the source devices (Apple TV, X-Box) stops the issue, but this has not yet been confirmed.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Corry P thank you for your reply. It’s weird, I don’t have Xbox and still faced this issue. Looks like the product line by sonos is cursed. No official statement. Might just return this product if it is going to be a pain :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @shantanu_gupta 

As mentioned in the linked-to thread, this issue seems to occur only when Dolby Atmos is active (therefore, disabling Atmos prevents it from happening), happens on non-Sonos equipment too, and only seems to occur when either an X-Box or Apple TV is in use.

Have you tried disabling CEC features on your Apple TV? These generally relate to power, volume control and TV input switching, and are apparently located in Settings » Remotes and Devices » Control TVs and Receivers.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Corry P thanks, yeah I did disable CEC on Apple TV. It’s funny if sound-bar has issues playing Dolby Atmos, it shouldn’t be made for one :) Looks like Sonos support found the soundbar faulty itself. Just 23 days in and a faulty soundbar. Red signs 🥲

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hi, I post a lot in the main ‘pop’ thread and after two years was able to resolve my issue (for now, knock on wood) by disabling CEC on the Xbox and Apple TV, power cycling everything, and then reenabling CEC on the Apple TV. It has to stay off on the Xbox. Since this was determined in the main thread, posting volume has gone to almost zero. That may be an indication that it is working for others as well.

Maybe try the analog for you. Disable CEC on Apple TV and PS5, power cycle everything, reenable CEC on Apple TV.

Sonos has not made an official statement or provided a resolution in two years. Presumably that’s a strategic choice. No evidence has been presented that any brands other than Sonos are affected by this bug.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@ProfessorFrag thank you for the detailed reply! Sonos team confirmed it looks like an hardware issue too. The sonos amp is faulty, but since last night after reboot it works fine. My worry is to not return it when I can and be stuck like you have been. 

I am thinking of switching to 2 HomePod 2’s but I do love the sonos sound! 

Badge

So far disabling CEC on Xbox has fixed the popping issue with Atmos on. I can finally enjoy my era 300s.