Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Arc - bass direction help

• 11 December 2023
  • 2 replies

I've recently purchased a Sonos Arc and it sounds great but I have an issue which is best described as the bass going over my head.

I've got an area with 8ft ceilings, 9ft wide (tv/bar centred) and 6.5ft sitting distance from the soundbar with a large area behind me, the bar height sits just under chin level in my viewing position.

Everything sounds nice, great Atmos effect and clarity, what I'm finding though is a huge increase in bass if I stand 3ft+ behind my sitting position.

To compare the difference, in my sitting position it sounds balanced or even on the mild side for bass, when standing behind it sounds like there's a small sub involved, a large increase.

I don't own any Apple products so I'm unable to use the tuning features, would tuning it bring the bass in to my sitting area?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The first thing I’d do is try moving the Sub. When dealing with the frequencies emanated by the Sub, seemingly small movements can make a significant difference to the sound. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you don’t have a Sub, just the Arc you are probably seeing issues with the Arc, the room and the frequencies interacting. That can be tough to solve as the Arc isn’t easily re-positioned and probably neither is your seating.

I hate to say this but buying or borrowing a supported Apple device is likely to be your best solution. Borrow if possible as devices age out and are no longer supported (like my iPod 4) and you have to buy another.

If that doesn’t help about all you can do is look into room modifications to change the space’s low frequency response.