Answered

Sonos Arc and Apple TV 4k audio drop issues

I’ve had my Sonos Arc for 2 months now and just this past week it started dropping the audio on apps like Netflix, Hulu and HBO Max in my Apple 4k TV. For example the audio will play and then after the ad in Hulu when it comes back to the show the audio is gone. I don’t know why this just started up. 

I have a new tv Samsung QLED to go along with the new Sonos Arc, I’ve tested another Apple TV 4k device and had the same issues. 

Steps i’ve tried -

Factory reset of apple device

Swapped devices, issue on both

Changed audio on Samsung TV to Pass-through

Changed HDMI-eArcMode from Auto to Off 

Unplugged and plugged everything back in

Originally thought this was an apple issue but since it’s happening on 2 devices seems to be a Sonos or Samsung issue. 

icon

Best answer by Stahlwalker 14 June 2021, 18:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Since I don’t experience this on either of the two Vizios with Arcs I own, and given the fact there are already several threads in the Home Theater section regarding issues with Sansung’s implementation, I’m forced to hazard a guess that it is a Samsung issue. 

“Since I don’t experience this on either of the two Vizios with Arcs I own, and given the fact there are already several threads in the Home Theater section regarding issues with Sansung’s implementation, I’m forced to hazard a guess that it is a Samsung issue.”

Do you have links to these threads for Samsung?

Not offhand. You could look in the Home theater section of this forum for them, though. I read pretty much every post in most areas of this forum, it’s hard for me to keep track of those that don’t have significant impact to me personally. 

Oddly enough most issues I’ve seen request that you follow these steps, however I don’t know why in a new Samsung TV QLED that I would need to go down to Stereo 5.1 

• STEP 1: Take your Apple TV remote and press Menu.
  • STEP 2: From the window jack that appears on your screen, scroll down to Settings and click on it.
  • STEP 3: Inside the settings menu, click the option called Audio and Video.
  • STEP 4: Now, you’ll be taken to the Audio and Video settings menu. Here scroll down and select the option called Audio Format.
  • STEP 5: Click on the only available option, Change Format.
  • STEP 6: Now, your Apple TV software will prompt you with a window where you should select Change Format again.
  • STEP 7: You’ll be taken back to the previous window. Here, scroll down and select the option New Format and switch it to Stereo.
  • STEP 8: Use your original TV remote and go to your television’s Audio/Sound settings.
  • STEP 9: Select the Audio OUT option and set it to Optical.
  • STEP 10: Make sure you select the option Digital Sound Out <PCM> under Optical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stahlwalker 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

It would appear this is a Samsung and Apple TV issue. The steps I’ve taken above works however I feel that I’ve downgraded my audio experience. I have software engineers looking into this at Apple and a Samsung tech coming to troubleshoot my TV in the coming days. 

I too am experiencing the same thing with a new Apple TV 4k model and brand new 75 in Vizio TV with EARC. Called Sonos customer service and they said it was an Apple TV issue, but even doing it with the Apple TV disconnected the Apps are still doing the same thing via my smart TV.

@Yent1981 so after tons of calls this is the deal and my understanding the 1st Apple 4K TV not the newest one that just came out, but the first Apple 4K TV is not EARC compatible. My only solution was to turn EARC mode off and then I’m still able to get Atmos and all that with my Apple 4KTV. However there are still some issues at times in which the audio won’t resume after I’ve stepped away from something I was watching so then I have to go back out and back in to get it to work. I’m assuming when I get the new apple 4k tv that will go away.

In my experience the apps in my Samsung would not have these issues so that is a little concerning. I plan to eventually buy a new Apple 4K TV Gen 2 model and testing this all out. 

I have a similar problem in Apple 4K (brand new & hooked up via my arcana to the Samsung Qled). I’ll watch a TV show, say on Binge or AppleTV+ then go to the next episode and I get no sound, just picture. It happens intermittently, but enough to be of concern.

@Rossco65 do you have the newest Apple 4k tv or the first gen model of 4k? Because I’m under the impression that shouldn’t be happening with the newer apple 4k tv. 

G’day Stahlwalker, Yep. It’s a brand new one. About a month old.  I forgot to mention that it also just goes to black and the sound continues. I have to turn the AppleTV off and on again to fix it.

@Rossco65 well that’s concerning. The new apple 4k tv 2nd gen is supposed to HDMI erac compatible. I’ve turned that feature off. It’s still a little finicky on my end but at least it gives me Dobly Atmos and all that. I was under the impression if I got the new one this would not be a problem. Idk