Answered

sonos AMP to provide rear surround and subwoofer for Arc

• 27 October 2023
  • 5 replies

There seem to be some related topics, but most are quite old..

We replaced our 5.1 system with a Sonos Arc last year.  We have decent surround speakers and a wired subwoofer that we’re no longer using.

Would it be possible to add a Amp to the speaker group with the Arc to power a pair of wired rears and a (wired) subwoofer?  I’d also like to be able to take advantage of the Amp’s bluetooth / line-in to expand the capabilities of this speaker group.  I think I read that if an Amp is paired with an Arc (or other soundbar) that the subwoofer and inputs get disabled. :-\

icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 October 2023, 21:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes, the subwoofer output and line in capability are disabled when a Sonos Amp is used as surrounds.

Booo.

That’s what I thought, tho, so thanks.

If we added a pair of Era 100s as rears, do those line-ins still work when part of a speaker group?

Booo.

That’s what I thought, tho, so thanks.

If we added a pair of Era 100s as rears, do those line-ins still work when part of a speaker group?

All Line-in, Bluetooth, subwoofer capabilities are inactive when configured as surrounds.  It is due to the one-way, ad-hoc, 5 GHz connection from the soundbar to the surrounds.  Nothing except the surround channels to the surrounds can travel that connection. 

Badge

All Line-in, Bluetooth, subwoofer capabilities are inactive when configured as surrounds.  It is due to the one-way, ad-hoc, 5 GHz connection from the soundbar to the surrounds.  Nothing except the surround channels to the surrounds can travel that connection. 

Is this still the case if all Sonos devices (Arc+Amp) are using hard-wired Ethernet?  Specifically looking for rear surround and third party sub at the same time.

Yes, it’s the same, when connected via a radio signal, or Ethernet cables.