Answered

Sonos Amp Device Management

• 11 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Working on an outdoor deck project and want to blend 2 types of speakers (LG Soundbar & Sonos Outdoor) through Sonos amp, but not sure if the series of HDMI/wiring schematics will work.

Attaching a visual of my plan, but was thinking about the following order:

• TV would run HDMI (Earc) to LG Soundbar HDMI IN
  • LG Soundbar HDMI OUT (ARC) would run to Sonos Amp
  • Sonos Amp would be wired to Sonos Outdoor Speakers

Outcomes

• Would be able to play audio through all 3 speakers through TV
  • Would be able to play music through Sonos outdoor speakers from phone

The alternate thought was running 2 separate HDMI lines (one to soundbar and one to Sonos amp), but was thinking that TV might make me choose between HDMI port for sound to come out EITHER soundbar OR Sonos outdoor speakers VS coming through both.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 April 2024, 17:16

View original

3 replies

I don’t recommend attempting to use AMP in this application. There will be a time offset between AMP and the SAMSUNG.

You’ll need to generate a second HDMI-ARC, or analog stereo feed to AMP. Time skew for HDMI-ARC will be lower, but you’ll need to jump through hoops in order to generate this feed.  You could use an optical output and the SONOS TOSLINK to HDMI-ARC adapter, but this connection will not integrate into the SAMSUNG surround processing.

Badge

Thank you Buzz for taking a look at this. Wasn’t aware of the Sonos Toslink to HDMI – ARC adaptor.

Wanted to clarify that surround wouldn’t have to be achieved, but would be a nice plus. Based on your suggestion would the following be true?

• TV would run HDMI (Earc) to LG Soundbar HDMI IN
  • TV optical out to Sonos Optical Audio Adaptor (Suggestion) to HDMI would connect to Sonos Amp (Depending on distance would this HDMI cable need to be powered)?
  • Sonos Amp would be wired to Sonos Outdoor Speakers

My recommendation would be to lose LG soundbar entirely.  The amp can power two pairs of outdoor speakers, 3 pairs with the Sonos/Sonance speakers.  You can place a pair to the left and right of your TV, and then a pair or two wherever else you need the speakers.   You will lose volume control between speaker pairs, but you can volume switches if needed.  You won’t be able to play TV audio and music at the same time, but that might not be a requirement.

As to the question about needing powered HDMI cable, if you can buy the cable in the length you want without power, then you should be fine.  I’ve got a couple cables of 30-40ft with no issues.