Samsung TV Sonos Arc question

• 6 February 2021
  • 19 replies

Badge

So I have a Samsung QN65Q7FAM tv with a New Sonos Arc

Is Dolby digital + the best sound I can achieve? 

The Samsung rep told me I would have better sound with a different brand of TV lol..

I also have a PS4 not sure if you can use it to boost the sound quality or not.

Thanks in Advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7

If you aren’t able to get Dolby Atmos audio from any of your internal TV apps like Netflix or VUDU, then you are probably limited to Dolby Digital Plus.

You can always add the HD Fury Arcana to your setup to bypass your TV’s limitations and get Dolby Atmos audio from external devices. I’m not sure you can get Dolby Atmos from a PS4. But you should be able to at least get Dolby TrueHD from Blu-ray Discs playing in your PS4.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Badge

sorry little noob on this, Can I stream something on the TV and run it through the PS4 to enhance audio then to Sonos Arc?

Badge

Also where would I put the HDfury? between the hdmi arc and the sonos?

Userlevel 7

sorry little noob on this, Can I stream something on the TV and run it through the PS4 to enhance audio then to Sonos Arc?

Sorry, I don’t really understand your question. But I’m going to say no, the PS4 isn’t going to enhance anything.

The audio you get out of your Sonos Arc is determined by the source content, the device/app you are playing it from, and what your TV can pass through. The only way to know what audio your TV is capable of passing through is by testing different sources from different apps and media devices. Can you give some examples of what audio you are currently getting and what source/app are you testing?

Userlevel 7

Also where would I put the HDfury? between the hdmi arc and the sonos?

Here are a couple of diagrams from the HD Fury website that might help. Ignore the projector:

Badge

Ok, so the sound would come out of the TV via HMDI connected to the HMDIarc port, go to the Arcana get boosted to Atmos quality then via another HMDI go to the New Sonos Arc at Atmos quality sound.

am I understanding that correctly?

that would be great if that's the case

Userlevel 7

The Arcana doesn’t boost the sound quality. It just takes the original audio from the source and sends it directly to the Arc rather than having to pass it through your TV (where the “downgrade” in audio usually occurs).

For example, if you have a Blu-ray player with a Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos-encoded disc playing, the player would send the full Atmos audio signal to the Arcana and then directly to the Arc while the video signal is sent to the Arcana then to your TV.

Badge

oh shoot, so I have a Samsung Q7 Smart Tv and watch everything through app on the TV. Your saying putting the Arcana between the TV and Sonos will NOT help the sound quality because its not enhancing the sound from the TV…?

Badge

Also what about putting a  Roku Ultra in the mix? I have one on a different TV

I have a PS4 currently mounted next to the TV would that work also ?

Userlevel 7

The Arcana will not change the audio from your TV’s internal apps. It will only allow your EXTERNAL media devices to bypass your TV and send audio directly to the Arc.

A Roku Ultra works great with the Arcana. I have one connected to my Arcana and I can get Dolby Atmos audio from Disney+, Apple TV, and VUDU. With the 2020 model of the Roku Ultra, you can get Atmos from Netflix too.

Here is a great guide on Dolby Atmos and what media devices/apps support Dolby Atmos audio: https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/the-ultimate-dolby-atmos-guide

Userlevel 7

I don’t know if the PS4 supports Dolby Atmos. But you should be able to get lossless Dolby TrueHD audio from Blu-ray Discs playing on the PS4 with the Arcana.

Badge

Thank you for all your help! I think Ill get one try it with the ps4 if not… its another Ultra smh lol

Userlevel 7

If you decide to connect more than one device to the Arcana, you need an HDMI switch. I am using this ROOFULL switch and it works great with the Arcana: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3QD59P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QGP1X039PGFX8S127M1V

HD Fury also recommends getting high quality HDMI cables to use with the Arcana like this KabelDirekt cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMF1VJZ/

Badge

and the only way to get a Acrana is through HDfury correct? I cant go down to Bestbuy?

Userlevel 7

Yes, purchase it directly from HDFury. It isn’t available at Best Buy.

GuitarSuperstar - You truly seem the most knowledgeable on this topic and I have read many many many forums on this.. Question - I have a Samsung TV 2019 Q90R that uses a One Connect Box for all interfaces...there are some many folks that are having issues with eARC between Samsung and Sonos. Are you familiar with this setup using a Samsung One Connect Box to a Sonos Arc?

Userlevel 7

@JREZ Sorry, I am not very familiar with that setup, but I found this Q90R user on AVForums who seems to be having success with the Arcana with multiple media devices:

I have the Arcana in my set up and have been using it for about a month or so now. My inputs (Sky Q, Fire TV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Blu Ray player) are all connected to an HDMI switch (£30 job from Amazon) and then via a single HDMI into the Arcana. One HDMI from the Arcana then goes into the One Connect and one to a SONOS Arc. In my set up at least lip sync is no longer an issue for about 95% of the time (I still see it very occasionally on Sky - usually if it's a live outside broadcast but even then very rarely). The Fire/Apple TV/Blu Ray don't cause any problems at all now. I was a bit doubtful when I bought the Arcana given the cost and the speed of development (and slightly bitter at Samsung for requiring me to do it) but being able to watch in sync is brilliant.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-q90r-qled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2218729/page-344#post-28569513

Also, if you talk to the people on HD Fury’s Discord channel, they are really helpful too:
https://discord.gg/yCRdfPw

HUGE THANK YOU...I did order the SONOS ARC and will look at options and look at the ARCANA…

I have several other SONOS devices it only made sense…

Again - Thanks

Badge

GuitarSuperstar - You truly seem the most knowledgeable on this topic and I have read many many many forums on this.. Question - I have a Samsung TV 2019 Q90R that uses a One Connect Box for all interfaces...there are some many folks that are having issues with eARC between Samsung and Sonos. Are you familiar with this setup using a Samsung One Connect Box to a Sonos Arc?

That’s actually a really good point. However with arcana the video would come from the source (ultra, shield ) to the arcana the split to the TV and other hdmi Sonos..

so the hdmi to the tv would go to the one connect..

it just seems Samsung and Sonos not compatible