Samsung Frame and Sonos Amp connected to same speakers?

Badge

I renovating a new house and plan to install a Samsung Frame TV. I want upgraded TV sound, but don’t want a soundbar. I will have Sonos Amps hardwired to various speakers throughout the house, including a pair of in-wall speakers near the TV. I would like to be able to push TV sound through these in-wall speakers, and still be able to drive music through them from one of my Sonos Amps (but not at the same time of course). I have no idea how to set this up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

31 replies

The Sonos Amp has an HDMI-ARC input.  Just connect that to the HDMI-ARC port on the TV.  

Badge

The Sonos Amp has an HDMI-ARC input.  Just connect that to the HDMI-ARC port on the TV.  

My Amp is 12 years old. Would it still have an HDMI-ARC input (I can’t simply look at my Amp because I am traveling ATM).

My Amp is 12 years old. Would it still have an HDMI-ARC input (I can’t simply look at my Amp because I am traveling ATM).

That would be a Connect:Amp, and no it does not have HDMI-ARC.  Only the current Amp has HDMI-Arc.

Badge

Thanks jgatie. So what is my backup plan? 😎

If you do not want a soundbar, the only solution for TV audio is the Sonos Amp with two passive speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Something you’d probably hate is to try connecting the audio out of the TV to the audio in on your Connect Amp. The sound will be delayed enough that it will be uncomfortable to watch.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/play-line-in-on-your-sonos-amp

And just to add to @jgatie ’s reply, if you’re using the RCA inputs on the older CONNECT:AMP, they are an analog input, and subject to a 75ms delay, which would be noticeable to most users as a lip sync issue. 

If you’re dead set against a Sonos sound bar (the Beam or Arc), then replacing your older CONNECT:AMP with a newer Amp, which does have that HDMI (digital) input he was suggesting, which would avoid that delay I am warning about. Or step outside the Sonos system (although I have no suggestions there). 

edit.. @Stanley_4 beat my slow typing…

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are those Connect:amps using the white app or the brown app? When they use the white app and are sure they where built before 2016 it is possible you cannot use them from the newer (brown) app, so you’d need two Sonos app on your phone. The newer and older amps also could not be grouped then.

Badge

So I am now planning to get new Sonos Amps for each of my 4 (maybe 5) speaker zones. The only problem is they will be located some distance away from the TV--too far to connect via HDMI cable. I’m thinking perhaps I can locate one of the Amps near the TV, and connect that to the HDMI-ARC port on the TV. Then I would run Ethernet cable from that Amp to the other Amps so that the entire house could play sound from the TV. Would that work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It could even work with wifi. Also: the ethernet cable should be connected to your router, not the other Amps.

Badge

I appreciate you peeps sharing your time and expertise here. 👍

I’m wondering if this would work to play my TV’s sound through all my music zones: one Amp connected to The Frame via HDMI-ARC and driving two external speakers. Then connecting wirelessly to my WiFi network to push the TV’s sound through the rest of my sound system, which would consist of 3 more Amps wired to 3 additional sets of speakers. Is this going to work?

As long as you’re aware of that delay I mentioned above between the ‘room’ that the TV is connected to, and all the other grouped rooms, any source can be played in all rooms. 

Badge

As long as you’re aware of that delay I mentioned above between the ‘room’ that the TV is connected to, and all the other grouped rooms, any source can be played in all rooms. 

I would be upgrading everything to the current Sonos Amp. I thought that would eliminate the delay. No?

No matter what Sonos device is in use, there is always a delay between a home theater room, and any other grouped room, so that Sonos can ‘buffer’ the playing material so that it works across a 2.4Ghz signal. 

All speakers in the original room are connected on a low latency 5 GHz signal, but when other rooms are grouped, those other rooms have to be buffered in case they’re on a 2.4Ghz signal. It’s part of the software, it can’t be changed. 

Badge

No matter what Sonos device is in use, there is always a delay between a home theater room, and any other grouped room, so that Sonos can ‘buffer’ the playing material so that it works across a 2.4Ghz signal. 

All speakers in the original room are connected on a low latency 5 GHz signal, but when other rooms are grouped, those other rooms have to be buffered in case they’re on a 2.4Ghz signal. It’s part of the software, it can’t be changed. 

Could we avoid the delay if everything was hardwired via ethernet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, but no. The delay is always there when grouping other speakers with TV sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Nope, the delay is cooked into the system.

Badge

New questions: Let’s say I have The Frame TV connected to a Sonos Amp (current model) via HDMI-ARC. That Amp is hardwired to two speakers near the TV. My understanding is that any sound playing on the TV will automatically play through the Amp and its speakers. Will the TV remote control the sound volume through these speakers?

Now, with the TV off (or in art mode), will I be able to play music over this Amp and speakers via the Sonos app?

Thanks again for all your help!

The TV remote sends commands through the TV set, then via HDMI CEC to the Amp.. As long as the TV is sending sound to the Amp, that remote will control the volume. Once you remove the TV from the equation, I.e streaming music, rather than watching a TV source, the remote will not control the volume.

Yes, you’ll be able to stream music to the Amp when the TV is not being used. Again, you’ll need to use the app to control the volume. 

I have a Samsung Frame and several Sonos AMPs driving passive speakers. I drive TV audio very successfully from the TV to any of the Sonos amps in my home. I use an inexpensive (£20ish on Amazon) TOSLINK optical to analogue RCA DAC to connect the optical out port of the Frame controller box to the analogue RCA ports on a SONOS Port. The Sonos Port can be configured to automatically stream the analogue signal from the DAC to any device on your Sonos network. You configure the audio out settings on your Frame to always send TV sound to the optical “out” DAC connection. The Frame will let you configure a delay (I use 150ms) that compensates for any latency in the Sonos network. It works flawlessly. Hope this helps! Your only consideration is that your TV remote can no longer control volume. For that, you must use the Sonos app - OR - use Alexa - OR use very very funky Apple Watch app called “LYD”

I have a Samsung Frame and several Sonos AMPs driving passive speakers. I drive TV audio very successfully from the TV to any of the Sonos amps in my home. I use an inexpensive (£20ish on Amazon) TOSLINK optical to analogue RCA DAC to connect the optical out port of the Frame controller box to the analogue RCA ports on a SONOS Port. The Sonos Port can be configured to automatically stream the analogue signal from the DAC to any device on your Sonos network. You configure the audio out settings on your Frame to always send TV sound to the optical “out” DAC connection. The Frame will let you configure a delay (I use 150ms) that compensates for any latency in the Sonos network. It works flawlessly. Hope this helps! Your only consideration is that your TV remote can no longer control volume. For that, you must use the Sonos app - OR - use Alexa - OR use very very funky Apple Watch app called “LYD”

Or you could use a Sonos device which is actually designed for use with a TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@nepeta You are adding a delay to the normal Sonos delay of 75ms? Or are you delaying images?

Jgatie: this thread is for those who do not wish to (or can’t) use soundbars.

106rallye: delay images ? Looking at the three Sonos Ports I use for this purpose, the total audio delays (the sum of the delays set in each pair of  Port app and Samsung TV) is around 200ms. It is counterintuitive, I know, but having had success with my first Port/Samsung pair, I bought the other two. For interest, the ports drive 1) a pair of Sonos Ones, 2) a Sonos Amp and 3) a Sonos Move.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos ads a delay to the sound on any analogue input. Since you are using an analogue input you will have the delay, so your TV image will not be in sync with the sound, which is 70ms behind.

You state “The Frame will let you configure a delay (I use 150ms) that compensates for any latency in the Sonos network." You already have a delay, and seem to ad another, instead of cancelling out the Sonos delay. Or am I not following you? 

I understand,  as I said, that it is counter intuitive! But it works. And lip sync is close to perfect.

We’ve taken this as far as I choose to go now. Thanks for your help. I hope mine may be useful to others.